Student Wellbeing

Support for Student Parents

Support for Student Parents

Where to go for help

Newcastle University is passionate about supporting our students in any way we can and we acknowledge that bringing up children is an important and sometimes difficult task. You can get support from health visitors, teachers, family members and friends but if you need additional support, we may be able to help you too. Take a look at the information below for further areas of support and guidance.

Student Wellbeing Service

Student Wellbeing provides information, advice and guidance on a wide range of student support issues to enable all students to maximize their potential whilst at University. Support can include, student finance, counselling and mental health, help for students with specific learning difficulties (such as Dyslexia, dyspraxia or Asperger’s), disability (including long term chronic conditions), faith, health information and general wellbeing 

Tel: 0191 208 3333
Web enquiries form:

Welfare & Equality Officer, Students’ Union

The Welfare & Equality Officer, here at Newcastle University Students’ Union (NUSU) represents all liberation and minority groups, including both student parents and student carers. They lead on welfare issues in the Students’ Union so can help with any issues you might face being a student parent or carer and advise you on what your options are. They also work with the Activities Office in NUSU to organise events specifically for student parents, providing opportunities for socialising and time out to relax. 

Tel: 0191 239 3917

Health Visitors 

A Health Visitor’s role is a varied one and is an integral part of the NHS Community Health Service. The Health Visitor’s role is to offer support and encouragement to families through the early years from pregnancy and birth to primary school and beyond. 

Health Visitors can offer help and advice to parents on the following:

  • growth & development
  • behaviour difficulties, i.e. sleeping, eating, potty training, temper tantrums
  • teething

Your health visitor can also refer you to health promotion groups, like breast feeding support groups, parent support groups and parenting courses.


Information and Support for Families

Newcastle Families Information Service is a great source of information and support for families in Newcastle. Newcastle City Council’s Welfare Rights Service can help with benefit information, and support for homeless people is available from Changing Lives. Whatever issue is affecting you, there should be someone who can help.

Tel: 0191 2774133

Your local doctor

Students are required by the University Regulations to register with a medical practice. Before registering with any medical practice, students are advised to ensure that the practice will carry out home visits to their addresses. 

To find your local medical or dental practice please use the NHS website. If you would like to find a medical practice close to the university please enter the post code NE1 7RU alternatively you may enter the post code of your accommodation. In addition, you may find that the NHS guide for students beneficial.