Student Wellbeing

Sexual Harassment and Violence Support

Sexual Harassment and Violence Support

COVID: You will still receive free, confidential support even if an incident has happened whilst socialising outside of your household or bubble.

Your safety is our priority, please contact us.  


Remember you can leave your home or support bubble in order to avoid injury or illness or to escape the risk of harm. You may also be eligible for funds to help escape an abusive situation. Get in touch with our SVLO team for more information ( 

You can also receive independent support and advice from your Student Union.

All members of our University community must behave respectfully. We all have responsibility for creating and sustaining a safe, supportive environment. We will not tolerate violence, abuse, harassment, or discrimination of any kind.

If you, or a Newcastle University student you know, is a survivor of sexual violence (including but not limited to physical violence, verbal abuse, harassment, bullying, unconsented sharing of intimate images, and stalking) we will support you.

Sexual violence is a power-based crime and you are never to blame. We will support you in ways that respect your right to personal autonomy. As such, our support and reporting processes are survivor-led and your access to support is not dependent on you making an official report or complaint either to the Police or the University. You will remain in control of your support plan.

We are an inclusive service and can support you regardless of your gender, sexuality, race and/or ethnicity, faith/religious status, nationality, disability, and age.

The tabs below guide you through your main options. If you’d like support thinking through your options please email and we will help. You can also call the National Rape Crisis Helpline on 0808 802 9999.


Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs)

Newcastle University endeavours to respond swiftly to all concerns of sexual violence and has a team of qualified Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs). SVLOs are here to help students that have experienced sexual harassment and/or violence since coming to Newcastle University.

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted within the last 7 days, you should consider attending your local Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) for assistance. Our local provider is R.E.A.C.H. You can contact them using the details on their webpages, or you can contact NHS direct on 111 who can make a referral on your behalf.

What is a Sexual Violence Liaison Officer?

Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs) are members of staff who have been specially trained to provide students with confidential, non-judgemental support; their work is always in confidence unless they believe someone is in danger.

How do SVLOs support students?

First and foremost, SVLOs will listen.

They will provide a safe and confidential space where students can discuss their experience and its impact. They will guide students through the reporting, protection, and care options available; from both the University and external organisations. SVLOs will empower survivors to make informed decisions and support the student whatever these decisions may be.

The appointed SVLO can liaise with external organisations and other University colleagues where required and will provide ongoing 'wrap around' care and support.

How do students contact a SVLO?

To get in touch with a SVLO please visit Report + Support and click on ‘Speak to Advisor’. You will be asked to enter some basic information and give us your contact details so that we can assign the most appropriate SVLO to support you.

We aim to respond within two working days. Our working days are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, excluding Bank Holidays. Depending on the information you provide, we may call or email you to discuss your needs in more detail, or we may assign you to an SVLO who will contact you directly. For details of what happens to your data click here.

Using Report and Support does not mean that you are making an official report to the University or the Police. Your report will be treated confidentially, unless we believe you or others are in immediate danger. You do not need to make an official report to the Police or the University to receive support.

Immediate safety

Your personal safety must be the number one priority.

If you are not safe and/ or your life is at immediate risk please call the police on 999.

If it is not an emergency, alert our Security Team to your safety concerns. They can work with you to ensure your physical safety Tel: 0191 208 6817 or 0191 208 6666.

You can also download the SafeZone app. This app allows you to call for immediate assistance anywhere on Campus. There are also options to discreetly call for assistance without alerting those around you. Click the red button below for more information.



Remember the choice is yours, no one should pressure you into formally reporting what has happened. There are two main options for formal reporting:

1. Reporting to the Police

If you wish to report what has happened to the Police you can:

  • Call the police on 101 – you can ask for our Campus Police Officer, PC Mick Miller using his collar ID which is 8964* if you wish to speak to him specifically
  • Call our Campus Police Officer, Mick Miller on 0191 208 6817
  • Email PC Miller at
  • Remember, for emergencies dial 999

*(a collar number is the number you can quote to speak to that specific officer)

The police will investigate the crime and ensure that you are safeguarded. You may be assigned a named officer whom you can contact directly. They will also link you to the appropriate local and national support services.

2. Reporting to the University

If you've been assaulted by any member of the University community, you can report this to our Student Progress team, who will follow our Student Disciplinary Procedure and protocols and investigate the allegation. During this process you will always be linked to University Health and Wellbeing Services to ensure that you are supported emotionally.

If you would like an informal discussion with Student Progress prior to making a formal report to the University you can email to arrange this. You can ask an SVLO to attend this meeting with you (if you have not already been assigned an SVLO you can copy into your email to Student Progress and we will assign an available SVLO).

3. Non-formal reporting

You can report anonymously, or give your name and contact details on our University Report and Support tool. There are two options for reporting – ‘Anonymous’ and ‘Speak to an Advisor’. Click here to find out more about how your data is used. If you click ‘Speak to an Advisor’ we will contact you to discuss your needs.

Some students may wish to report what has happened to the Students’ Union. You can complete the NUSU Report & Support Disclosure Form to do this. You can choose to remain anonymous when completing the form. The Student Union will provide you with the details of appropriate support services available to you.

If an incident happened when you were under 16, or you believe that there may be children at risk, you can report this to the NSPCC. You can do this by telephone 0808 800 5000, email, or using their online form. You can choose to remain anonymous. The NSPCC helplines are staffed by specially trained support workers – they will support you emotionally as you report.

Further support

Remember, if you or others are in danger, dial 999

If an incident occurred in the last 7 days, you should consider attending a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). They will be able to offer forensic evidence collection to support an official Police report in the future. They can preserve evidence for you to use later. One of our SVLOs could support you in accessing this service – email

SARC - Sexual assault referral centres (SARCs) are 24-hour crisis intervention centres that offer medical, practical and emotional support. They have specially trained doctors, nurses and support workers to care for you. You do not need to report to the Police to use this service, and it doesn’t matter when the incident occurred. Our local provider is R.E.A.C.H who are available 24/7 on 0333 344 8283.

Survivors UK - support and help for men and non-binary people who have survived sexual violence, and their families - including group work and a national online helpline.

Galop – support for LGBT+ people who have experienced abuse and violence. They have national helplines that can support all LGBT+ survivors in the UK 0800 999 5428 (open Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm, open until 8pm on Wednesday and Thursday) or email.

Rape Crisis - Rape Crisis England & Wales (RCEW) supports the work of Rape Crisis Centres across England and Wales and can link you with your local Sexual Violence support service.

NHS - Provides health information to anyone who has experienced sexual violence.

Support for supporters

We recognise that you may be supporting a survivor of sexual violence. This can be a difficult and draining time for you as well as the survivor. It is important that you take care of yourself.

Within the University

  • Post Graduate Research students and Post Graduate Taught students can receive support from our 24/7 PG Support Service. Tel: 0800 030 5182
  • All students can receive support from the University Counselling services. Tel: 0191 208 3333
  • Staff can access help via the Employee Assistance Programme. Tel: 0800 030 5182

Outside the University

SurvivorsUK – support for men and non-binary people who have experienced sexual violence and abuse, and their families.

Rape Crisis Tyneside and Northumberland have a resource page for supporting a survivor which can be found here.

The Mix have a resource page for supporting a survivor which can be found here.

Data and anonymous reporting

If you use Report and Support, we will ask you for some information related to gender, race and/or ethnicity, religious belief, and sexuality. We ask these questions to identify trends in sexual violence incidents so that we can develop prevention programmes which respond to current need. It is not compulsory that you answer these questions, but it informs our work if you answer as fully as you feel comfortable.

If you report anonymously, we will not be able to identify who has made the report, and we will not be able to contact you to offer support. Anonymous data is shared within Student Health and Wellbeing to improve our service, and we create a quarterly report of anonymised data which is shared with internal committees such as Changing the Culture and Race Equality Charter Self-Assessment Team.

Your data is stored on a secure server, which is maintained by Culture Shift. Data is only accessible to selected colleagues (your assigned SVLO, the Hate Crime and Sexual Violence Prevention Lead, and senior managers within Student Health and Wellbeing) through multi-factor authentication processes.

If you have further questions in relation to your data, please contact