Meeting the strategic needs of UK businesses
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) fund projects that facilitate collaboration between UK universities and businesses.
Benefit to the company
At Newcastle University, we have a wealth of KTP experience. Our projects span a wide range of academic disciplines. This makes us well positioned to increase the competitiveness of your business.
We can help you:
- Start a strategic relationship with the University
- Appoint the best researcher to spearhead the project
- Collaborate with leading academics in your chosen field
- Develop innovative solutions for your business
- Become a market leader
- Gain entry to new markets
- Increase profitability
KTP at Newcastle
Of the North East universities, Newcastle currently has the largest number of KTPs. Our KTP Office provides dedicated "cradle to grave" project support. We work with a wide array of industries paired with a range of academic partners.
Innovate UK administers KTP grant funding. The company contribution to each project is dependent on the following factors:
- Size of business
- Length of project
- Budget requirements
The typical cost for a small to medium sized enterprise (SME) is approximately £26,700 per year. This equates to 67% grant funding from the government. For a large company, the total cost is approximately £40,500 per year, 50% grant funded.
- Associate salary
- £2,000 per annum professional development budget
- £3,750 per annum covering travel and consumables
- The option to apply for an additional £10,000 consumables budget
- Up to £10,000 to cover the cost of facilities access
- Half a day per week support from a Newcastle University academic
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities including specialist equipment
- Full administrative support from our dedicated KTP team
- Project support provided by a Knowledge Transfer Network Advisor
If you are an ambitious, innovative company with plans to grow, please get in touch. We can check the feasibility of your idea and help partner you with the right academic member of staff. Please note that companies must have at least five FTE staff and the project must generate wealth for the UK economy.
Once vetted, 90% of our applications are funded. We will provide advice, guidance and input to all applications.