Dr Elizabeth Brooks
- Address: Dr Liz Brooks
School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
Newcastle upon Tyne
Social justice, environmental justice, climate change resilience, cognitive ageing and place.
2017 - research associate, EU H2020 project, SAPL, Newcastle University
2014-2017 research fellow, Crichton Institute and Crichton Carbon Centre, South Scotland
2012 -2014 research associate, EU FP7 ARCH project, SAPL, Newcastle University
2008-2011 research assistant and visiting lecturer at SAPL, Newcastle University
2000-2005 research officer, then research manager at Counsel and Care, national older people’s charity
1996-2000 researcher in mental health at Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London and St Georges Hospital Medical School
1987-1992 editor in arts publishing, including Conran Octopus, Philip Wilson and Centaur Communications
Ph.D. Rural Ageing, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, Newcastle University (funded by ESRC and DCLG)
M.Sc. Ageing and Mental Health, Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London (part-funded by Counsel and Care)
B.Sc. Psychology equivalent (British Psychological Society Graduate Basis for Registration); MA History of Art, Courtauld Institute of Art; B.A. Philosophy and French, St Catherine’s College Oxford
French (fluent); German (basic)
Research Associate 2017-2019 RELOCAL (Resituating the Local in Cohesion and Territorial Development), funded by EU Horizon 2020, led by University of Eastern Finland.
Research Fellow 2014-2017 Sustainable Rurality in South Scotland, funded by Scottish Funding Council, led by Crichton Institute, School of Interdisciplinary Studies, Glasgow University.
Research Associate 2012-2014ARCH (Architecture and roadmap to manage multiple pressures on lagoons), funded by EU Framework Programme 7, led by Norwegian Geotechnical Institute.
Research Assistant 2013-14 Global SECURE: Sustainable Energy through China-UK Research Engagement: supporting scholar exchange and project outcomes including journal special issues and five year plan of engagement, with Professor John Pendlebury and Professor Simin Davoudi, funded by EPSRC
Research Assistant 2011 Consultancy project on Neighbourhood Planning: acting as critical friend to a Neighbourhood Planning Frontrunner in Northumberland, with Dr Geoff Vigar and Dr Zan Gunn, funded by the Catherine Cookson Trust.
Research Assistant 2012-13 Environmental Justice in the City of Newcastle: investigating the empirical aspects of environmental burdens and benefits in the city, with Professor Simin Davoudi, funded by the Institute for Local Governance.
Research Assistant 2012 -13 Tackling Low Standards in Environmental Quality: a rapid review of the evidence, with Professor Simin Davoudi, commissioned by the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
Research Manager 2003-05 Counsel and Care (national older people's charity), London.
Research Officer 2000-02 Counsel and Care (national older people's charity), London.
Research Worker 1996-2000 St George's, University of London; Institute of Psychiatry, King's College, London.
TCP8932 Planning for Climate Change
TCP2023 Understanding Sustainable Development
TCP1026 Understanding Place
TCP3050 Strategies into Action
GEO3019 Analysis of Populations in Space and Time
- Vigar G, Gunn S, Brooks E. Governing Our Neighbours: participation and conflict in neighbourhood planning. Town Planning Review 2017, 88(4), 423-442.
- Brooks L, Davoudi S. Litter and Social Practices. Journal of Litter and Local Environmental Quality 2017, 1(1), 16-25.
- Davoudi S, Zaucha J, Brooks E. Evolutionary Resilience and Complex Lagoon Systems. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 2016, 12(4), 711-718.
- Gilroy R, Brooks E. Fair shares for all: the challenge of demographic change. In: Bell, D; Davoudi, S, ed. Justice and Fairness in the City. Bristol: Policy Press, 2016, pp.213-229. In Preparation.
- Gunn S, Brooks E, Vigar G. “The Community’s Capacity to Plan: The disproportionate requirements of the new English Neighbourhood Planning Initiative. In: Simin Davoudi and Ali Madanipour, ed. Reconsidering Localism. Routledge, 2015.
- Brooks E, Law A, Huang L-J. A comparative analysis of retrofitting historic buildings for energy efficiency in the UK and China . disP - The Planning Review 2014, 50(3), 66-75.
- Brooks E, Law A, Huang LJ. A Comparative Study on Historic Building Regeneration Between the UK and China: A Perspective on Energy Efficiency. Urban Planning International 2014, 2(139), 29-35.
- Brooks E, Davoudi S. Climate justice and retrofitting for energy efficiency. disP: The Planning Review 2014, 50(3), 101-110.
- Davoudi S, Zhao P, Brooks E. Retrofitting cities for low carbon futures in Europe and China. DiSP - The Planning Review 2014, 50(3), 66-75.
- Davoudi S, Zhao PJ, Brooks E. Retrofitting cities for low-carbon urban futures in Europe and China Introduction. disP 2014, 50(3), 6-10.
- Davoudi S, Brooks E. When does unequal become unfair? Judging claims of environmental injustice. Environment and Planning A 2014, 46(11), 2686-2702.
- Davoudi S, Brooks E, Mehmood A. Evolutionary resilience and strategies for climate adaptation. Planning Practice and Research 2013, 28(3), 307-322.
- Brooks E, Davoudi S. Governmental policy needs to reflect social justice issues in the prevention of litter. In: Litter - Making a Real Difference. London: Keep Britain Tidy, 2013, pp.11-14.
- Davoudi S, Brooks E. Tackling Low Standards in Local Environmental Quality. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Global Urban Research Unit, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, Newcastle University, 2013.
- Vigar G, Brooks E, Gunn S. The innovative potential of neighbourhood plan-making. Town and Country Planning 2013, (epub ahead of print).
- Brooks E. Social Isolation as it Affects Older People in Rural Areas. Gloucester: Commission for Rural Communities, 2012. Available at: http://www.defra.gov.uk/crc/social-isolation-experienced-by-older-people-in-rural-areas/.
- Davoudi S, Mehmood A, Brooks E. Gap Analysis of the London Climate Change Adaptation Strategy. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2011. GURU Working Paper 44.
- Brooks E. Il modello delle "small towns" inglese confrontate con el invecchiamento demographico [Small towns at the vanguard of demographic shift]. In: Lorenzetti, L, ed. Gli anziani e la città. (In)compatibilità, regolazioni sociali e ambiente costruito, XVI-XXI secoli. Rome, Italy: Carocci Editore, 2010, pp.143-159.
- Gilroy R, Brooks E, Shaw T. Ready or not: The ageing of the market towns' population. In: Powe, N.A., Hart, T., Shaw, T, ed. Market Towns: Roles, Challenges and Prospects. London: Routledge, 2007, pp.69-80.
- Brooks L. Grants to Local Authorities for 'That Bit of Help'. In: Raynes, N., Clark, H., Beecham, J, ed. Evidence submitted to the Older People's Inquiry into 'That Bit of Help'. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 2006, pp.97-122.
- Brooks L, Abarno T, Smith M. Care and Support in Very Sheltered Housing. London: Counsel and Care, 2003.