Dr Paola Gazzola
Senior Lecturer in Planning / Degree Programme Director BA Geography and Planning
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5646
- Address: School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
Newcastle upon Tyne
Paola's research interests include strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and environmental impact assessment (EIA), urban ecology, and the assessment of evaluation practices within planning processes in differing contexts. Within this context, Paola has matured significant work experience with cross-national comparative research and learning in the field of environmental planning and management. Paola is particularly interested in looking at how contextual elements and different attitudes towards the environment can affect the developmemt of effective SEA. Furthermore, at how the performance of contextual elements and existing cultural attitudes can affect the definition of SEA effectiveness.
PhD: Adapting Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) for integration in different planning systems, University of Liverpool
Masters degree: Evaluation of urban, territorial and environmental Policies, University Institute of Architecture of Venice (IUAV), Italy
Graduate degree: Urban, territorial and environmental planning, University Institute of Architecture of Venice (IUAV), Italy
Italian, English, Spanish (basic)
Environmental assessment, particularly Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Sustainability Appraisal (SA), urban ecology, environmental planning and management, and the assessment of evaluation practices within planning processes in differing contexts
Developing the learning dimension of appraisal in spatial planning and recommending measures to improve practice in the UK, Italy and Germany, with colleagues at the University of Liverpool and University of Ulster.
Mainstreaming the environment into spatial planning, project funded by the faculty research fund
Follow-up on the implementation status of the SEA Directive in Italy.
Director on the Board of the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA)
TCP 1020 Environment and Sustainability
TCP 8034 Planning and Sustainability
TCP8044 Planning and Sustainability
- Fischer TB, Gazzola P. SEA effectiveness criteria – equally valid in all countries? The case of Italy. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 2006, 26(4), 396-409.
- Fischer TB, Gazzola P, Jha-Thakur U, Belcakova I, Aschemann R, ed. EA Lecturers’ Handbook and Curriculum for EA related Master Programmes. Bratislava: ROAD Bratislava, 2008.
- Gazzola P. Trends in EA education: a comparative analysis of EA-related Master programmes. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 2008, 26(2), 148-158.
- Gazzola P. Core Module 2 – Principles for environmental integration. In: Fischer, TB; Gazzola, P; Jha Thakur, U; Belcakova, I; Aschemann, R, ed. EA Lecturers’ Handbook and Curriculum for EA related Master Programmes. Bratislava: ROAD Bratislava, 2008.
- Gazzola P, Fischer TB. Core Module 1 – EA. In: Fischer, TB; Gazzola, P; Jha Thakur, U; Belcakova, I; Aschemann, R, ed. EA Lecturers’ Handbook and Curriculum for EA related Master Programmes. Bratislava: ROAD Bratislava, 2008.
- Gazzola P. Effective SEA in Italy and in the UK. Environmental Assessment Policy and Management 2008, 10(1), 1-24.
- Gazzola P, Jha-Thakur U. Internationalisation and Standardisation of European Environmental Assessment: Relevance to India. Environmental Education Research 2009, 15(6), 625-641.
- Jha-Thakur U, Fischer TB, Gazzola P, Kidd S, Peel D. Exploring relevant skills and knowledge areas for Strategic Environmental Assessment. The Environmentalist 2010, 92, 12-16.
- Fischer TB, Gazzola P, Jha-Thakur U, Kidd S, Peel D. Learning through EC Directive based SEA in spatial planning? Evidence from the Brunswick Region in Germany. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 2009, 29(6), 421-428.
- Jha-Thakur P, Gazzola P, Peel D, Fischer TB, Kidd S. Effectiveness of strategic environmental assessment - the significance of learning. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 2009, 27(2), 133-144.
- Gazzola P. Existing EA related master degree programmes in the EU: an analysis –concepts, principles and key modules. In: Fischer, TB; Gazzola, P; Jha Thakur, U; Belcakova, I; Aschemann, R, ed. EA Lecturers’ Handbook and Curriculum for EA related Master Programmes. Bratislava: ROAD Bratislava, 2008.
- Fischer TB, Gazzola P. Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA). Town Planning Review 2007, 78(4), 531-537.
- Gazzola P. Growth, Conservation and Responsibility. American Green Career Journal 2007, 2(3), 7-15.
- Gazzola P, Caramaschi M. Implementation Status of SEA in Italy: The Case of the Emilia Romagna Region. In: Schmidt, M., João, E., Albrecht, E, ed. Implementing Strategic Environmental Assessment. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2005, pp.117-136.
- Gazzola P, Caramaschi M, Fischer TB. Implementing the SEA Directive in Italy: opportunities and barriers. European Environment 2004, 14(3), 188-199.
- Gazzola P. La VAS nella pianificazione integrata per i parchi. In: Pace, F., Carbonara, S, ed. Progettare in area parco. Metodi e strumenti per trasformazioni compatibili. Foggia, Italy: Claudio Grenzi Editore, Collana Edizioni del Parco, 2003.
- Gazzola P. SEA for Policies. Washington, DC, USA: World Bank, 2003.
- Gazzola P, Partidario MR. La Valutazione Ambientale Strategica. In: Bettini, V, ed. La Valutazione dell’Impatto Ambientale. Le frontiere della VIA. Turin, Italy: UTET Libreria, 2002.
- Gazzola P. Prospettive di recepimento della Direttiva UE 42/2001/CE in Italia. Archivio di Studi Urbani e Regionali 2002, 74, 77-92.
- Gazzola P, Bettini V. La valutazione in campo ambientale: da strumento ancillare a componente strategica. In: Stame, N, ed. Valutazione 2001-Lo sviluppo della valutazione in Italia. Milan, Italy: Franco Angeli, 2001.
- Canter LW, Bettini V, Gazzola P. La Valutazione d’Impatto Ambientale Strategica. In: Bettini V., Canter L.W., Ortolano L, ed. Ecolgia dell’Impatto Ambientale. Turin, Italy: Utet, 2000.
- Gazzola P. Can environmental appraisal be truly interdisciplinary?. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 2011, 54(9), 1189-1208.
- Gazzola P, Jha-Thakur U, Kidd S, Peel D, Fischer TB. Enhancing environmental appraisal effectiveness: Towards an understanding of internal context conditions in organisational learning. Planning Theory and Practice 2011, 12(2), 183-204.
- Onyango V, Gazzola P. Regional spatial planning as a tool for addressing and injustices and mitigating land clashes: the case of Kenya. International Development Planning Review 2011, 33(2), 147-167.
- Jha-Thakur U, Gazzola P, Fischer TB, Peel D, Kidd S. Effectiveness of strategic environmental assessment - the significance of learning. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 2009, 27(2), 133-144.
- Kidd S, Fischer TB, Gazzola P, Jha-Thakur U, Peel D. Developing the learning potential of appraisal in spatial planning. Swindon: ESRC, 2008. End of Project Report RES-182-25-0018.
- Onyango V, Gazzola P, Fazey I. Effects of recent austerity on environmental protection decisions: evidence and perspectives within a Kuznetsian framework. Ecological Economics 2017. In Preparation.
- Gazzola P, Gonzalez A, Onyango V. Going green versus going smart in the quest for sustainable development. 2017. In Preparation.
- Bonifazi A, Gazzola P. New challenges, old dilemmas? Building climate change adaptive capacity through evaluation and spatial planning. Landscape and Urban Planning 2017. Submitted.
- Gazzola P, Rinaldi A. Reflecting on SEA's usefulness. A case-study on Italy. Environmental Assessment Policy and Management 2016, 18(04), 1650021.
- Gazzola P, Roe M, Cowie P. Marine spatial planning and terrestrial spatial planning: reflecting on new agendas. Environment & Planning C: Government & Policy 2015, 33(5), 1156-1172.
- Gazzola P. Reflecting on mainstreaming through environmental appraisal in times of financial crisis - From 'greening' to 'pricing'?. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 2013, 41, 21-28.