Dr Peter Kellett
Senior Lecturer in Architecture
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6023
- Address: School of Architecture Planning and Landscape
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a qualified architect with a Masters degree in Social Anthropology and a PhD which combines both disciplines. My research focuses on the interrelationship between people and their environments, particularly disadvantaged groups who inhabit or create environments in conditions of acute resource constraint or relative powerlessness.
BA (Hons) Architectural Studies. Newcastle University
BArch (Hons) Bachelor of Architecture. Newcastle University
MA Socio-Cultural Anthropology (Distinction). University of Durham
PhD Newcastle University
ARB/RIBA Part III (Registration as an architect)
IAPS: International Association of People-Environment Studies
ASA: Association of Social Anthropologists
RIBA: Royal Institute of British Architects (lapsed)
Playing music, digging my allotment, contemporary art, planting trees, cycling...
My doctoral work explored the creation, use and value of self-made, informal settlements in Latin America. Since then I have developed analytical and theoretical insights which I have applied in funded projects in several parts of the world, mostly in collaboration with colleagues in the Cities and International Development group within the Global Urban Research Unit (GURU) where I am based. For example two DFID-funded Home-based Enterprise projects (with Dr Graham Tipple) examined how low-income households in developing cities use the space of the dwelling and the labour of the household to generate income. Our findings challenged accepted policy and demonstrated how such activities can lead to poverty alleviation and improved housing, both key components of the Millennium Development Goals. I have also worked with Dr Michael Majale on issues of disability and informal settlement upgrading.
In the UK I have applied these research techniques to environment-behaviour relations of groups with limited control over their circumstances, such as hospital patients and the elderly. Because of my expertise in micro-level analysis of environments I was invited to join an inter-disciplinary team in the Centre for Arts and Humanities in Health and Medicine (CAHHM) at Durham University, to evaluate hospital environments for NHS Estates, particularly from the perspective of the patient. More recently I have been working with Rose Gilroy on issues of identity and independence in the housing of older people.
Since 2000 I have been joint co-ordinator of the Culture and Space in the Built Environment Network of IAPS (International Association for People-Environment Studies) and in 2006 I joined the Board of IAPS.
With Felipe Hernandez of Liverpool University I recently competed an edited book ‘Rethinking the Informal City: Critical Perspectives from Latin America’ (Berghahn 2010). I plan to complement this with a companion volume: ‘Inside the Informal City: Ethnographies of Building and Everyday Life in the Barrios of Latin America’. Another project will focus on: ‘Temporary Architectures: Short Term Structures and Spaces’.
Research supervision is a key part of my work. To date I have successfully supervised a total of 16 MPhil students and 21 PhDs. Currently I am supervising 8 PhD students (lead supervisor on 6):
Marsoyo, A. Constructing Spacial Capital: Home-Based Enterprises in Yogjakarta, Indonesia
Mbathi, M. Integrating Geo-Information Tools in Informal Settlement Upgrading in Nairobi
Agustinadewi: Housing Transformation Processes in Bali
Firzal: Reconstruction of meaning in Domestic Space, Pekanbaru, Indonesia
Prananing Tyas: Resilience and Home-Based Enterprises
Muktiwibowo: Street Space Use and Informal Activity Systems in Bali
Swasta: Low-Cost Vertical Housing Approaches in Yogyakarta, Indonesia (second supervisor)
Agha: Intelligent Building Systems and Courtyard Houses in Baghdad (second supervisor)
PhD Examination Experience:
I have examined doctorates at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) Stockholm, Université de Montréal, Universidad Castilla La Mancha (Toledo), University of Cambridge, University of Glasgow, University College London (DPU, Bartlett and Department of Geography), London School of Economics (LSE), University of Sheffield, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Northumbria University and Kings College London.
ARC2023: Theory 2: The Place of Houses
ARC8058/8068: Linked Research Project (MArch)
ARC1001: Architectural Design 1
ARC2020: Dissertation Studies
TCP8920: Planning for Developing Countries
ARC8051: Tools for Thinking (MArch)
SOC8101: The Shaping of Latin America (MA in Latin American Studies)
- Kellett P. Living in the field: ethnographic experience of place. Architectural Review Quarterly 2012. Submitted.
- Lawrence RJ, TurgutYildiz H, Kellett P, ed. Requalifying the built environment: Challenges and Responses. Grottingen: Hogrefe and Huber, 2012. In Preparation.
- Kellett P. Contemporary Vernaculars: Informal housing processes and vernacular theory. ISVS e-journal 2011, 2(1), 1-11.
- Chutapruttikorn R, Kellett P. Housing development and vulnerability reduction in informal railway settlements in Bangkok. In: Kabisch,S;etal, ed. Vulnerablity, Risk and Complexity: Impacts of Global Change on Human Habitats. Gottingen: Hogrefe, 2011. Submitted.
- Shehayeb D, Kellett P. Towards Affordability: maximising use value in low-income housing. Open House International 2011, 36(3), 85-96.
- Kellett P. Housing, Informality and Sustainability: an International Perspective. In: Sustentabilidade e Habitacao de Interesse Social. 2010, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Hernandez F, Kellett P. Re-imagining the Informal in Latin America. In: Hernandez, F., Kellett, P., Allen, L, ed. Rethinking the Informal City: Critical Perspectives from Latin America. New York & Oxford: Berghahn, 2010, pp.1-19.
- Hernandez F, Kellett P, Allen L, ed. Rethinking the Informal City: Critical Perspectives from Latin America. Oxford and New York: Berghahn, 2010.
- Kellett P, Smith J. Working at Home in Jahangir Puri, a Squatter Settlement in Delhi. In: Ming Ghee, K., Say Pin,T, ed. Upper Secondary Earth: Our Home Grography Elective Guidebook. Singapore: Marshall Cavendish, 2010.
- Kellett P, Collins P. At Home in Hospital? Competing Constructions of Hospital Environments. ArchNet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research 2009, 3(1), 101-115.
- Kellett P. 'Hot and Cold in the Tropics: Ethnographic Fieldwork in Squatter Settlement' and 'La vivienda como fuente de ingreso'. In: Amaya Guzman, S., Uribe de Kellett, A, ed. Pasaporte al Mundo Hispano en el Siglo Viente Uno. London: Continuum, 2009, pp.183-185,197.
- Tipple AG, Kellett PW. Home and Work in the same space: the spatial implimcations of home-based enterprises in Indonesia and India. In: 7th Conference of the Asian Planning Schools Association. 2003, Hanoi Architectural University (HUA), Vietnam.
- Kellett P. Voices from the barrio: Oral testimony and informal housing processes. Third World Planning Review 2000, 22(2), 189-205.
- Kellett P. The Construction of Home in the Informal City. In: Hernandez, F; Millington, M; Borden I, ed. Transculturation: Cities, Space and Architecture in Latin America. Amsterdam and Atlanta: Rodopi BV, 2005, pp.22-42.
- Kellett P. Advocacy in Anthropology: Active Engagement or Passive Scholarship?. Durham Anthropological Journal 2009, 16(1), 22-31.
- Dayaratne R, Kellett P. Housing and home-making in low-income urban settlements: Sri Lanka and Colombia. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment 2008, 23(1), 53-70.
- Gilroy R, Kellett P. At home with my memories: exploring the domestic interiors of older people. 2007.
- Kellett P, Moore J. Routes to home: Homelessness and home-making in contrasting societies. Habitat International 2003, 27(1), 123-141.
- Kellett P, Bishop W. Work and home: Spatial implications of income generation in the domestic setting. In: Places, People and Sustainability. 2003, Göttingen, Germany: Hogrefe and Huber.
- Gough KV, Kellett P. Housing consolidation and home-based income generation: Evidence from self-help settletments in two Colombian cities. Cities 2001, 18(4), 235-247.
- Kellett P. The construction of home in the informal city. Journal of Romance Studies 2002, 2(3), 17-31.
- Kellett P, Mothwa M, Napier N. No Place Like Home : Recording the Struggle for Housing and Work Under Apartheid. Oral History 2002, 30(2), 35-48.
- Kellett P. Vivienda Productiva? La casa como sitio de produccion en asentamientos informales. Arquitectura-Urbanismo-Sosteniblidad 2007, 2, 19-32.
- Shehayeb DK, Turgut Yildiz H, Kellett P, ed. Appropriate Home: Can We Design Appropriate Residential Environments?. Cairo: Housing and Building National Research Centre / IAPS Culture and Space in the Built Environment Network, 2006.
- Kellett P. El espacio domestico y la generacion de ingresos: la casa como sitio de produccion en asentamientos informales. Scripta Nova 2003, 146(110).
- Shehayeb DK, Kellett P. Appropriating Domestic Space: Maximising Use Values in Low-income Housing Environments. Architectural Studies 2006, (2).
- Kellett P, Yildiz HT. Culture, space and time: Traditional environments. Open House International 2006, 31(3), 3.
- Kellett P, Bishop W. Reinforcing traditional values: Social, spatial and economic interactions in an Indonesian Kampung. Open House International 2006, 31(4), 58-66.
- Kellett P, Yildiz HT. Understanding and researching traditional environments. Open House International 2006, 31(4), 4-5.
- Kellett P. Cinco Impactos Positivos de las Microempresas Domesticas. In: Salas, J, ed. Mejora de Barrios Precarios en Latinoamerica: Elementos de Teoria y Practica. Bogota: Editorial Escala, 2005, pp.123.
- Macnaughton J, Coleman S, Collins P, Kellett P. Designing for Health: Architecture, Art and Design at the James Cook University Hospital. Universities of Durham and Newcastle, 2005. NHS Estates (Study B0113).
- Kellett P, Tipple AG. Researching domestic space and income generation in developing cities. In: Vestro, DU; Hurol, Y; Wilkinson, N, ed. Methodologies in Housing Research. London: Urban International Press, 2005, pp.204-221.
- Kellett P, Gilroy R, Jackson S. Space, identity and choice: Exploring the housing arrangements of older people. In: Martens, B; Keul, A, ed. Designing Social Innovation: Planning, Building, Evaluating. Gottingen: Hogfre and Huber, 2005, pp.291-299.
- Kellett P. Spaces of Work and Domesticity: Changing Image, Use and Transformation of Informal Dwellings in a Globalising World. In: Social Change and Spatial Transformation in Housing Environments (symposium proceedings: part of UIA Congress). 2005, Istanbul.
- Cheung CN, Kellett P. Spatial Configuration and Place Identity: a Study of Tapei. In: Topophilia & Topophobia: Reflections on Human Habitat in the 20th Century. 2005, Beijing.
- Jackson S, Kellett P, Gilroy R. Old Folks at Home: A pilot study of the domestic space of older people. In: A Place Called Home: Rethinking Connections. 2004, University of Teeside.
- Gilroy R, Kellett P, Jackson S. Contrasting Living Arrangements for Older People. In: Housing and Living Conditions of Ageing Populations, ENHR Conference. 2004, Cambridge, UK.
- Kellett P. Habitat I and II. In: Forsyth, T, ed. Encyclopedia of International Development. London: Routledge, 2004, pp.305-306.
- Kellett P, Macnaughton J, Coleman S, et al. Health, Art and Design: Evaluation of a new hospital environment. In: 18th IAPS International Conference: Evaluation in Progress: Strategies for Environmental Research and Implementation. 2004, Vienna.
- Kellett P. Housing. In: Forsyth, T, ed. Encyclopedia of International Development. London: Routledge, 2004, pp.319-321.
- Kellett P, Gilroy R, Jackson S. Space, identity and Control: Contrasting living arrangements for older people. In: Life course perspective and socio-environmental contexts symposium in the 18th IAPS International Conference: Evaluation in Progress: Strategies for Environmental Research and Implementation. 2004, Vienna, Austria.
- Hernandez M, Kellett P. Urban Design in Popular Settlements in Latin America. In: 15th International conference on Urban Design. 2004, Istanbul.
- Kellett P. Constructing Informal Place. In: Menin, S, ed. Constructing Place: Mind and Matter. London: Routledge, 2003, pp.87-98.
- Macnaughton J, Coleman S, Kellett P, et al. Design for Health: an Interdisciplinary Approach to Research. In: The Healing Continuum: Medical Humanities and the Good Doctor. 2003, New York.
- Kellett P, Tipple AG. Exploring Space: Researching the Use of Domestic Space for Income Generation in Developing Cities. In: IAPS/ENHR International Conference: Methodologies in Housing Research. 2003, Stockholm.
- Kellett P. Formal Planning in Informal Settlements: A Case Study from Latin America. In: The Planned City?. 2003, Bari, Italy: Uniongrafica Corcelli Editrice.
- Tipple AG, Kellett P. Housing and work in the same space: the spatial implications of home-based enterprises in India and Indonesia. In: Asian Planning Schools Conference. 2003, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Kellett P. Improving Informal Settlements: Dwelling Consolidation and Home-based Enterprises. In: Quality of Urban Life: Policy versus Practice. 2003, Istanbul: Urban and Environmental Planning Research Centre, Istanbul Technical University.
- Kellett P. Constructing Informal Places. In: Constructing Place: processes, histories and impacts of place-making. 2002, Bishop Auckland.
- Kellett P, Tipple AG. Home-Based Enterprise and Housing Policy: Empirical Evidence from India and Indonesia. In: ENHR International Housing Research Conference. 2002, Vienna, Austria.
- Kellett P. House, Home and Enterprise: Environmental impacts of home-based income generating activities. Bulletin of People Environment Studies 2002, 21, 12-13.
- Kellett P, Tipple AG. Negotiating the Spaces of Home: Accommodating income generating activities within the domestic setting. In: IAPS 17 Conference: Culture, Quality of Life and Globalisation. 2002, Coruna, Spain.
- Kellett P, Bishop W, Tipple AG. Networks of Exchange and Co-operation: Reinforcing Traditional Values through Economic Activities in an Indonesian Kampung. In: Traditional Environments in a New Millenium: Defining Principles and Professional Practice. 2002, Amasya, Turkey: Istanbul Technical University.
- Tipple AG, Coulson J, Kellett P. The Effect of Home Based Enterprises on the Residential Environment in Developing Countries. In: Romaya, S; Rakodi, C; Hall, N, ed. Building Sustainable Urban Settlements: Approaches and Case Studies in the Developing World. London: ITDG Publishing, 2002, pp.62-76.
- Turgut H, Kellett P, ed. Traditional Environments in a New Millenium: Defining Principles and Professional Practice. Proceedings of Second International Symposium on Traditional Environments in a New Millennium. Istanbul Technical University: Faculty of Architecture, 2002.
- Kellett P. Working at Home in Developing Cities. In: ESRC Seminar: Exploring the Social and Psychological Aspects of Working from Home. 2002, University of Teesside.
- Turgut H, Kellett P. Cultural and Spatial Diversity in the Urban Environment. Istanbul: Istanbul Technical University, Faculty of Architecture, 2001.
- Kellett P. Diversity and Sustainability. In: Cultural and Spatial Diversity in the Urban Environment. IAPS-CSBE Network Workshop under the umbrella of the International Symposium on Metropolis 21st century: Cities, social life & sustainable development. 2001, Paris, France: Istanbul Technical University, Faculty of Architecture.
- El-Masri S, Kellett P. Post-war reconstruction. Participatory approaches to rebuilding the damaged villages of Lebanon: A case study of al-Burjain. Habitat International 2001, 25(4), 535-557.
- Tipple AG, Coulson J, Kellett P. The Effect of Home Based Enterprises on the Residential Environment in Developing Countries. In: Urbanizing World and UN Human Habitat II. 2001, New York.
- Tipple AG, Coulson J, Kellett P. The Negative Impact of Home-Based Enterprises: Exploding some Myths. In: World Congress of Planning. 2001, Shanghai, China.
- Kellett P, Tipple AG. The home as workplace: A study of income-generating activities within the domestic setting. Environment and Urbanization 2000, 12(1), 203-213.
- Kellett P. Cultural values and housing behavior in spontaneous settlements. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 1999, 16(3), 205-224.
- Kellett P. City profile: Santa Marta. Cities 1997, 14(6), 393-402.
- Kellett P. Original Copies? Imitative Design Practices in Informal Settlements. ArchNet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research 2013, 7(1), 151-161.
- Tipple AG, Coulson J, Kellett PW. Negative impacts of home-based enterprises: exposing some myths. In: World Planning Schools Congress: Planning for Cities in the 21st Century. 2001, Shanghai, China.
- Kellett PW, Bishop W, Tipple AG. Networks of Exchange and Co-operation: Reinforcing Traditional Values through Economic Activities in an Indonesian Kampung. In: IAPS - CSBE Second International Symposium: Traditional Environments in a New Millennium. 2001, Amasya, Turkey.