Dr Sebastian Weise
Lecturer in Digital Civics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 191 20 87175
- Personal Website: www.sebastian-weise.eu
BackgroundSebastian is lecturer in Digital Civics at Newcastle's School for Architecture, Planning, and Landscape (APL). He completed his PhD (subject to viva voce) from Lancaster University at the Centre for Doctoral Training in Digital Innovation (“HighWire”) at Lancaster University. He is knowledgeable of bottom-up participation in urban development enabled by the many new online platforms, particular geospatial platforms, that have emerged in recent years. He has undertaken several in-depth information systems analysis and worked with residents, urban planners, city administration professionals, property developers, and ‘techies’ of different domains of computing. He has presented my ideas on the role of digital infrastructures for large-scale participation at different events in the UK, USA, and Denmark. Last but not least, Sebastian is a pragmatist.
ResearchSebastian's research focuses on the spatial dimensions to participation in urban planning. He is interested in the methods and techniques to design participatory and collaborative processes in planning that are supported by a spatial component, for example, through non-digital (such as mapping workshops) and digital means (such as aided by geospatial technologies). Practices where his research will be applicable are activities involved in informing and detailing neighbourhood plans and more broadly any plan of action that has a link to physical space.
TeachingSebastian is in the processes of preparing a digital civics module for undergraduate courses delivered in academic year 2016/17 and onwards.
- Büscher Monika, Perng Sung-Yueh, Weise Sebastian. Periphere Kooperation am Beispiel der Anschläge in Norwegen 2011 / Peripheral Cooperation in Crises: Norway 22/7/11. i-com 2014, 13(1). In Preparation.
- Salinas L, Weise S, Pollastri S. Transforming the planning process — challenges for the service designer. In: ServDes.: Service Design & Innovation Conference. 2014, Lancaster, UK.
- Weise Sebastian, Hardy John, Agarwal Pragya, Coulton Paul, Friday Adrian, Chiasson Mike. The case of urban development: Fostering off-line interactions through local ubicomp systems. Proceedings of Ubicomp'12 2012.
- Weise Sebastian, Hardy John, Agarwal Pragya, Coulton Paul, Friday Adrian, Chiasson Mike. Democratizing ubiquitous computing: a right for locality. Proceeding UbiComp '12 Proceedings of the 2012 ACM Conference on Ubiquitous Computing 2012.
- Weise S, Coulton P, Chiasson M. Designing in between local government and the public - using institutional analysis in interventions on civic infrastructures. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Kirkham R, Ebassa R, Montague K, Morrissey K, Vlachokyriakos V, Weise S, Olivier P. WheelieMap: An Exploratory System for Qualitative Reports of Inaccessibility in the Built Environment. In: MobileHCI 2017 19th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services. 2017, Vienna: ACM.