Internships, Placements & Shadowing
Discover the different types of work experience you can do and where you can find opportunities.
Work experience is invaluable. The Highfliers report, The Graduate Market in 2016 (PDF: 602KB) stated that recruiters fill nearly a third of their graduate positions with applicants who have already worked for their organisations, either through paid internships, industrial placements or vacation work.
In the competitive job market, work experience provides:
- valuable employability skills
- commercial awareness
- occupational awareness
- practical examples for job applications
- networking opportunities
- the chance to apply academic knowledge in the workplace
You'll also gain a clearer idea about what job suits you.
Take a look at the types of work experience we can help you with, including:
Gain academic credit from volunteering, part-time work or classroom experience in schools with our Careers Modules.
Watch our Journey to Work video (University login required) for student and employer insights on work experience.
The following publications include advice, case studies and employer profiles:
- TARGETjobs: Work Experience – also available in the Careers Service
- Prospects Work Experience
- Rate My Placement: The Top Undergraduate Employers 2016-17