Research Associate (Archaeology)
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3444
- Address: School of History, Classics and Archaeology
Newcastle Upon Tyne
A major strand of my current research is the development of an holistic methodology employing, amongst other techniques, GIS, laser scanning and geophysical prospection to enable greater understanding of structures ranging from the Scavi beneath the streets of Rome to the early medieval churches of Naxos in Greece and closer to home some of the finest examples of early churches in the north east of England. Following on from my work as co-author of the Wearmouth-Jarrow project, which was published in 2013, I am currently involved in applying enhanced survey methodology to a number projects in the coming year.
With over 30 years of experience in the archaeological arena, I have developed expertise in a range of fields that include GIS, computing and geophysical, landscape and building survey.
I am currently a Research Associate within the School of History, Classics and Archaeology. I co-ordinate various aspects of geomatics, geophysics and laser scannning for projects at Corbridge in Northumberland and Beckfoot in Cumbria with Ian Haynes (Newcastle University), the Apalirou Environs Project, Naxos, Greece with Sam Turner (Newcastle University), the Bogsak Archaeological Survey, Turkey with Gunder Varinlioglu (Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Istanbul) and the Lateran Project, Rome, Italy with Ian Haynes (Newcastle University), Paolo Liverani (University of Florence) and Salvatore Piro (ITABAC-CNR).
I contribute to teaching on the following modules
ARA2012 Fieldwork and Archaeological Practice
MA Field Skills in Archaeology
ARA8090 Research Themes, Theories and Skills in Archaeology
ARA8120 Recording Historic Buildings (module leader)
ARA8234 Landscape Archaeology: Theory and Practice
- Fieber KD, Mills JP, Peppa MV, Haynes I, Turner S, Turner A, Douglas M, Bryan PG. Cultural heritage through time: a case study at Hadrian’s Wall, United Kingdom. International Archives of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences 2017, XLII-2/W3, 297-302.
- Kinnaird T, Bolos J, Turner A, Turner S. Optically-stimulated luminescence profiling and dating of historic agricultural terraces in Catalonia (Spain). Journal of Archaeological Science 2017, 78, 66-77.
- Haynes I, Liverani P, Heslop D, Peverett I, Piro S, Spinola G, Turner A. The Lateran Project: Interim Report for the 2016-17 Season (Rome). Papers of the British School at Rome 2017, 85, 317-320.
- Turner S, Semple S, Turner A. Wearmouth and Jarrow: Northumbrian Monasteries in an Historic Landscape. Hatfield: University of Hertfordshire Press, 2013.
- Haynes I, Liverani P, Turner A, Ravasi T. Roma si trasforma: gli scavi di San Giovanni in Laterano e l’evoluzione della città eterna tra II e VI sec. d.C. Forma Urbis. Itinerari nascosti di Roma antica 2012, 18(6), 34-42.
- Sanmark A, Semple S, Turner A. Tingsplatsen som arkeologiskt problem: Etapp 3: Anunshog. TAP Field Report No. 3. 2011.
- Gerrard C, Turner A, Wilkinson K. Geophysical and geoarchaeological survey at the Bishop's Palace, Wells. In: Dunning, R, ed. Jocelin of Wells: Bishop, builder, courtier. Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2010, pp.125-136.
- Turner A. Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) Survey - Akkerman Fortress 2010. Akkerman Fortress Project, 2010. Available at: http://www.akkermanfortress.org/reports.html.
- Bilyayeva S, Fialko O, Turner A, Wazny T. Historical-archaeological investigations at Akkerman (Bilhorod-Dnistrovsky) fortress, Ukraine 2010. Anatolian Archaeology 2010, 16, 7-8.
- Semple S, Turner A, Howard P. Reappraising Ad Gefrin. New field research by the Gefrin Trust. Archaeology in Northumberland 2010, (20), 41.
- Turner A. Gradiometer and Ground Penetrating Radar Survey - Akkerman Fortress, Bilhorod-Dnistrovsky, Ukraine, Summer 2008. Akkerman Fortress Project, 2009. Available at: http://www.akkermanfortress.org/reports.html.
- Turner A. Geophysics, Part One. In: Gerrard, CM; Aston, M, ed. The Shapwick Project, Somerset: A Rural Landscape Explored. Leeds: Maney Publishing, 2007, pp.200-212.
- Turner A. Shapwick fieldwalking, A Statistical Assessment. In: Gerrard, CM; Aston, M, ed. The Shapwick Project, Somerset: A Rural Landscape Explored. Leeds: Maney Publishing, 2007, pp.1103-1112.