Dr Matt Perry
Reader in Labour History
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7977
- Address: School of Historical Studies
University of Newcastle
Matt Perry has taught broadly across Twentieth Century European History. He has research interests in British and French labour and social history, particularly in the fields of protest and social memory. He has also published on questions of general historiography in particular the Marxist school of history.
Twentieth-century French and British history. The history of the protests of the unemployed, particularly in the interwar period. British and French labour history. Social movements and protest. Social memory. Biography, intellectual itineraries and transnationalism. France and the experience of the two world wars.
I am currently researching the life of Ellen Wilkinson, Labour MP.
Convenor of the Labour and Society Research Group
HIS3022 Jarrow Crusade
HIS3025 May 68
HIS2086 Twentieth Century France
HIS2116 French Communism
HIS8041 Love on the Dole a cultural history of unemployment in the 1930s
- Perry M. Bombing Billancourt: Labour Agency and the Limitations of the Public Opinion Model of Wartime France. Labour History Review 2012, 77(1), 49-74.
- Perry M. Memory of War in France, 1914-45: César Fauxbras, the Voice of the Lowly. Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Perry M, Reiss M, ed. Unemployment and Protest: New Perspectives on Two Centuries of Contention. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Perry M. Breaking the silence: rationale, protest and identity in the provincial press of the unemployed in France. In: Reiss, M., Perry, M, ed. Unemployment and Protest: Two Centuries of Contestation. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2011, pp.285-309.
- Perry M. The myth of the Jarrow Crusade and the making of a local Labour Culture. In: Cowman, K., Packer, I, ed. Radical Cultures and Local Identities. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars, 2010, pp.129-148.
- Perry M. The Calais riot of 5 January 1934 and the Dynamics of Unemployed Contention. Labour History Review 2008, 73(1), 39-59.
- Perry M. Prisoners of Want: The Experience and Protest of the Unemployed in France, 1921-45. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007.
- Perry M. The Jarrow Crusade: Protest and Legend. Sunderland: University of Sunderland Press, 2005.
- Perry M. ‘Sans Distinction de Nationalité’? The French Communist Party, Immigrants and Unemployment in the 1930s. European History Quarterly 2004, 34(3), 337-369.
- Perry M. ‘Unemployment Revolutionises the Working Class’: Le Cri des Chômeurs, French Communists and the Birth of the Movement of the Unemployed in France 1931-1932. French History 2002, 16(4), 441-468.
- Perry M. The Jarrow Crusade’s return: the ‘New Labour Party’ of Jarrow and Ellen Wilkinson, MP. Northern History 2002, 34(2), 265-278.
- Perry M. Marxism and History. Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2002.
- Perry M. The Jarrow Crusade, the National Hunger March and the Labour Party in 1936: a Re-Appraisal. Socialist History 2001, (20), 40-53.
- Perry M. Bread and Work: the experience of unemployment 1918-1939. London, UK: Pluto, 2000.
- Perry M. The Limits of Philanthropy: Sir John Jarvis and the Attempt to Regenerate Jarrow, 1934-39. North East History 2000, (summer), 35-59.
- Perry M. Unemployment, Welfare, and Masculine Citizenship: "So Much Honest Poverty" in Britain, 1870-1930. American Historical Review 2016, 121(2), 652-653.
- Perry M. "Red Ellen" Wilkinson: Her Ideas, Movements and World. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press, 2014.
- Perry M. Pierre Laroque and the Welfare State in Postwar France. By Eric Jabbari. Oxford University Press. 2012. History 2014, 99(335), 367-369.
- Perry M. In Search of “Red Ellen” Wilkinson Beyond Frontiers and Beyond the Nation State. International Review of Social History 2013, 58(2), 219-246.
- Perry M. Our Ellen, Whose Ellen? The Death of Ellen Wilkinson, Obituaries and the Making of a Labour Heroine. Snodi 2013, 10.
- Perry M. The British and French Hunger Marches of the 1930s: An Exclusive Mode of Protest, a Cultural Transfer and a Fulcrum Of Success. In: Andreosso-O'Callaghan, B. and Royall, F, ed. Economic and Political Change in Asia and Europe: Social Movement Analyses. Dordrecht: Springer, 2013, pp.145-161.
- Baldoli C, Perry M. Bombing and Labour in Western Europe, from 1940 to 1945. Labour History Review 2012, 77(1), 3-9.
- Perry M. Vive la France! Death at Sea, the French Navy and the Great War. French History 2012, 26(3), 344-366.