Dr Caroline Allen
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 85915
- Personal Website: http://carolineallen0.wixsite.com/caroline-allen
- Address: School of Psychology,
Floor 2, Ridley Building 1,
Queen Victoria Rd,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Since completing my PhD, I have undertaken a range of post-doctoral research positions. I worked at Stirling University investigating the effect of make-up on attraction and self-confidence. Following this I was employed by Edinburgh Napier University to set up a state of the art 4D imaging lab which is used to investigate the production and recognition of facial expressions and emotions. Most recently, I was employed by the Institute of Neuroscience at Newcastle University where I was investigating the effects of current state (hunger) and developmental history (deprivation) on behaviours such as impulsivity in humans.
I have been a member of the Centre for Behaviour and Evolution at Newcastle University since 2016 and my broad research interests lie in the application of evolutionary theory to understanding human behaviour. I will be teaching on the Psychology BSc (Honours) programme for which I will be supervising undergraduate and masters level projects, and I am happy to hear from students who share my research interests and would like to work with me.
PhD University of Stirling, titled: The artificially scented ape: Investigating the role of fragrances and body odours in human interactions
BSc (international. Hons) University of Leeds
2015-2016 Research Assistant, University of Stirling
2016 Research Assistant, Edinburgh Napier University
University of Stirling (2012-2016), Undergraduate Psychology programme:
- Introductory Psychology I, First Year: Demonstrator & Marker
- Introductory Psychology II, First Year: Demonstrator & Marker
- The Social Mind, Second Year: Lecturer, Demonstrator, Marker
- Research Methods, Second Year: Demonstrator, Marker
- Animal Behaviour, Second Year: Demonstrator, Marker
- Developmental Psychology, Third Year: Project supervisor
- Individual Differences, Third Year: Demonstrator, Marker
- Cognition, Third Year: Project supervisor, Marker
- Quantitative Analysis, MSc: Lecturer, Demonstrator, Stats Clinic, Marker
- The Psychology of Smell, Final year elective: Module coordinator, Lecturer, Marker
- Lab Placement, MSc: Supervisor
- Undergraduate dissertation supervision
- MSc dissertation supervision
Newcastle University (2016-current), Undergraduate Psychology programme:
- Undergraduate dissertation project supervision
- Undergraduate Psychology placement supervision
- PSY1006, Instinct, Learning and Motivation: Module coordinator
- Allen C, Havlicek J, Williams K, Roberts SC. Perfume experts' perceptions of body odors: Toward a new lexicon for body odor description. Journal of Sensory Studies 2018, 33(2), e12314.
- Allen C. A Highland fling to remember: A short report on the XXIII biennial congress on Human Ethology in Stirling, Scotland. Human Ethology Bulletin 2017, 32(1), 1-5.
- Allen C, Cobey KD, Havlicek J, Roberts SC. The impact of artificial fragrances on the assessment of mate quality cues in body odor. Evolution and Human Behavior 2016, 37(6), 481-489.
- Allen C, Havlicek J, Roberts SC. Effect of fragrance use on discrimination of individual body odour. Frontiers in Psychology 2015, 6, 1115.