Dr Edward Wainwright
Lecturer in Architecture
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 20 96017
- Personal Website: www.publisharchitecture.com
- Address: School of Architecture, Planning & Landscape
Edward is a lecturer in architecture, a researcher and designer exploring the intersections of architecture and culture, and the politics of architectural production. His design interests are concerned with architecture's relationship to fine art and spatial experience. He has worked with artists and architects on collaborative installation projects and spatial research for national and international organisations.
Edward's doctoral thesis, Transparency and Obfuscation: Politics and Architecture in the work of Foster + Partners (2011), explored the international context of the production of corporate architecture, outcomes of which have been published in Reading Architecture and Culture (London: Routledge, 2012).
He is a member of the Northern Bridge doctoral funding consortium scrutiny committee for arts and architecture, and sits on the Newcastle Institute for Creative Arts Practice steering committee. He is also Reviews & Insight editor for the Cambridge University Press journal, Architectural Research Quarterly.
The reading and understanding of architectures’ multiple contexts informs all my work and interests, from interdisciplinary and collaborative research projects through to research-informed teaching. My engagement with architecture is driven by an excitement at the potentials of collaboration across academic and professional disciplines, towards a greater understanding of architectures’ role in shaping social and political conditions. I pursue projects that draw on my expertise and experience as a researcher, teacher, curator, project manager and editor, to link architecture, critical art practice, and cultural theory and design research.
Current research projects include Intoxicated Space, Spaces of Intoxication, a pilot research project investigating the architectures of the night, and a collaborative research project between Fine Art and Business, exploring the spaces of artists studios in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
TeachingEdward teaches across the undergraduate and postgraduate architecture design courses at APL, and currently is joint stage 2 coordinator, having previously taught extensively across the M.Arch, and is running a joint Linked-Research studio with Dr. Samuel Austin.
- Connelly A, Guy S, Wainwright E, Wilde M. Bridging creative practices and social science: art and sustainability. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 2016. Submitted.
- Connelly A, Guy SC, Wainwright E, Weileder W, Wilde M. Catalyst: reimagining sustainability with and through fine art. Ecology and Society 2016, 21(4), 21.
- Bennie C, Wainwright E. Designing development. arq: Architectural Research Quarterly 2016, 18(1), 92-96.
- Wainwright E. Love Life and Life Will Love You Right Back. Holly Hendry: More & More, is More exhibition publication 2015.
- Wainwright E. Producing a Public Artwork: Contingency & Collaboration. In: Guy,S, ed. Catalyst: Art, Sustainability and Place. Bielefeld: Kerber Press, 2015, pp.74-89.
- Wainwright E, Hendry H. Amputated architectures. Architectural Research Quarterly 2014, 18(4), 396-402.
- Wainwright E. An implicit critique of contemporary architecture: Hollow Bodies. Architectural Research Quarterly 2014, 18(4), 391-395.
- Wainwright E. Damien Hirst’s new town adds a cultural twist to planned utopias. London: The Conversation, 2014. Available at: https://theconversation.com/damien-hirsts-new-town-adds-a-cultural-twist-to-planned-utopias-30589.
- Pitman T, Tozer L, Wainwright E. Regarding the residential. Architectural Research Quarterly 2014, 18(2), 182-187.
- Wainwright E. A Touch of Glass. Architectural Review 2013, February 2013.
- Wainwright E. All that is solid melts into air. Architectural Review 2013, September 2013.
- Wainwright E. Looking to a legacy. Richard Rogers: Inside out at the Royal Academy. Architectural Research Quarterly 2013, 17, 3/4, 211-215.
- Wainwright E. Fostering Relations in Kazakhstan. In: Adam Sharr, ed. Reading Architecture and Culture. London: Routledge, 2012, pp.46-61.
- Wainwright E. The Office is Always On: DEGW, Lefebvre and the Wireless City. Journal of Architecture 2010, 15, April 2010, 209-218.
- Wainwright E. Engineered Transparency. Architectural Research Quarterly 2008, 12, 1, 8-11.
- Wainwright E. The Space of Ideology: Corporate architecture and the production of space, DEGW, New York. Forum: International Journal of Postgraduate Studies, Architecture, Planning and Landscape 2007, 7,1, 23-28.
- Wainwright E. The Space of Ritual: Watching the City. Online, 2006. Video.