You need to submit a brief research proposal of 1,000-2,000 words for PhD and MPhil programme applications. This should outline your research interests and the nature of the research you plan to carry out.
Download our research proposal guidelines (PDF: 41.5 KB) for advice.
It is important that your research proposal is well aligned with the research activities of the School. We therefore encourage you, before you apply, to carefully examine the research profiles of our academic staff and contact relevant individuals to discuss your research project.
When to apply
We accept applications up to one year before the start of the programme (September each year). We encourage you to apply early.
International students should apply as early as possible. This gives you sufficient time to make practical arrangements if the application is successful.
Our application process is:
- Complete our online application.
- Include the relevant programme code (see below).
- Attach your full CV.
- Attach a personal statement of around 500 words giving your reasons for applying and how pursuing a doctoral research degree fits with your long-term goals and ambitions.
- Attach your research proposal.
Log in to your account to track your application.
- Part-time MPhil programmes – 7240P
- Full-time MPhil programmes – 7240F
- Part-time PhD programmes – 8240P
- Full-time PhD profgrammes – 8240F
If you have any questions about the research programmes or the application process, email our Research Programme Secretary, Carolyn Watkin.