Dr Alan Fowler
- Email: email@example.com
A Chartered Mechanical and Marine Engineer by background, Dr Fowler has held industrial, academic and consulting positions in operations management including design & development, manufacturing and systems-maintenance. His principal research interests focus on the strategic dimensions of operations and information systems management and reflect a long-standing interest in dynamic modelling and simulation.
He has BSc. and MSc. degrees in Engineering from Edinburgh and Newcastle Universities respectively, a PhD. also in Engineering from Newcastle University and an MBA from Durham University. Previous experience includes eight years employment as an engineer/manager in a range of manufacturing and service industries and twelve years as lecturer in Marine Engineering.
BSc, MSc, MBA, Ph.D., C.Eng., F.IMar.E., M.I.Mech.E.
Dynamic modelling and simulation of complex adaptive-systems, business process analysis, benchmarking, product and process design, knowledge management and the strategic role of information systems. Current and previous research projects include project management of information systems for universities, business process design and knowledge management applications in private and public sector organisations, lean-supply spares procurement systems., development of underwater power systems, simulation and design of marine propulsion systems for merchant vessels and warships.
Examples of current doctoral student supervision include: The management of innovation in ‘white goods’ manufacturing industries, A generic model for the relevant dimensions in service quality, Implementation of Enterprise Resource Planning systems in China, Application of lean enterprise techniques for in-service support for defence industries.
Fellow of the Institute of Marine Engineers, Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering. Memberships of UK Academy of Information Sciences, Society for Computer Simulation and European Operations Management Society.
Winner of the Literati prize for excellence, International Journal of Operations and Management, 2001. Twice winner of the Denny Gold Medal, for the best paper presented to the I.Mar.E. Winner of the Percy-Jackson award of the Institution of North-East Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders.
Business Process Modelling & Management (NSM865)
- Fowler A, Gilfillan M. A framework for stakeholder integration in higher education information systems projects. Technology Analysis and Strategic Management 2003, 15(4), 467-489.
- Fowler A, Samuel J, Simpson A. Knowledge into Practice in Air Traffic Control Systems. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference. 2003, Harrogate, UK.
- Fowler A, Samuel J, Simpson A. Knowledge into Practice in air traffic control systems. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference. 2003, Harrogate, UK.
- Fowler A, Pryke J. Knowledge management in public service provision: The Child Support Agency. International Journal of Service Industry Management 2003, 14(3-4), 254-283.
- Fowler A. Systems modelling, simulation, and the dynamics of strategy. Journal of Business Research 2003, 56(2), 135-144.
- Fowler A, Wicks S. The Royal Navy: JIT Based Spares Provisioning. In: Johnston, R., Chambers, S., Harland, C, ed. Cases in Operations Management. Harlow, UK; New York, USA: FT Prentice Hall, 2003, pp.300-308.
- Fowler A, Campbell D. Benchmarking and performance management in clinical pharmacy. International Journal of Operations and Production Management 2001, 21(3), 327-350.
- Campbell D, Fowler A. Benchmarking: Concepts and Frameworks. Pharmacy Management 2001, 17(4), 52-55.
- Boland T, Fowler A. A systems perspective on performance management in public sector organisations. International Journal of Public Sector Management 2000, 13(5), 417-446.
- Boland T, Fowler A. Performance Management in Public Sector Organisations: A Systems View. The International Journal of Public Sector Management 2000, 13(5), 417-446.
- Fowler A. The role of AI-based technology in support of the knowledge management value activity cycle. Journal of Strategic Information Systems 2000, 9(2-3), 107-128.
- Fowler A, Walsh M. Conflicting perceptions of success in an information systems project. International Journal of Project Management 1999, 17(1), 1-10.
- Fowler A. Feedback and feedforward as systemic frameworks for operations control. International Journal of Operations and Production Management 1999, 19(2), 182-204.
- Fowler A. Modelling, simulation and innovative design in complex adaptive business management systems. Computing & Control Engineering Journal 1999, 10(6), 267-276.