Professor Alan McKinlay
Prof of Human Resource Management
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1565
I was awarded my DPhil from Nuffield College, Oxford University in 1986. My thesis was about how management strategies, power and skill played out in Clydeside shipyards and factories between the wars. The politics of skill remains one of my interests.
Over the years I have researched and written about historical and contemporary management strategy and practices; unionisation; and new forms of work. I have examined these issues in many settings, from a Motorola factory making mobile phones to Ford car factories through to television studios.
My current research is about management strategy and practices in the BBC and ITV. This is a project that I'm working on with Chris Carter, Edinburgh University. A new project is about the changing definitions and experiences of the career since 1945.
- McKinlay A, Taylor P. Foucault, Governmentality and Organization: Inside the Factory of the Future. London, UK: Routledge, 2014.
- McKinlay A. Banking, bureaucracy and the career: the curious case of Mr Notman. Business History 2013, 55(3), 431-447.
- Carter C, McKinlay A. Cultures of strategy: Remaking the BBC, 1968-2003. Business History 2013, 55(7), 1228-1246.
- Carter C, McKinlay A. Cultures of Strategy: Remaking the BBC, 1985-2003. Business History 2013. In Press.
- McKinlay A, Wilson J. 'All they lose is scream': Foucault, Ford and mass production. Management & Organizational History 2012, 7(1), 45-60.
- McKinlay A, Carter C, Pezet E. Governmentality, power and organization. Management and Organizational History 2012, 7(1), 3-15.
- McKinlay A, Pezet E. Accounting for Foucault. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 2010, 21(6), 486-495.
- Knox W, McKinlay A. American corporations and european labor. Labor History 2010, 51(2), 167-172.
- Knox W, McKinlay A. American multinationals and british trade unions, c.1945-1974. Labor History 2010, 51(2), 211-229.
- McKinlay A. Performativity and the politics of identity: Putting Butler to work. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 2010, 21(3), 232-242.
- Coopey R, McKinlay A. Power without knowledge? Foucault and Fordism, c.1900-50. Labor History 2010, 51(1), 107-125.
- Wilson JM, McKinlay A. Rethinking the assembly line: Organisation, performance and productivity in Ford Motor Company, c. 1908–27. Business History 2010, 52(5), 760-778.
- McKinlay A, Carter C, Pezet E, Clegg S. Using Foucault to Make Strategy. Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal 2010, 23(8), 1012-1031.
- Findlay P, McKinlay A, Marks A, Thompson P. Collective bargaining and new work regimes: ‘too important to be left to bosses’. Industrial Relations Journal 2009, 40(3), 235-251.
- McKinlay A. Foucault, plague, defoe. Culture and Organization 2009, 15(2), 167-184.
- Townley B, Beech N, McKinlay A. Managing in the creative industries: Managing the motley crew. Human Relations 2009, 62(7), 939-962.
- Lilley S, McKinlay A. Matters of fact / matters of fiction: Imagining and implementing institutional change. Culture and Organisation 2009, 15(2), 129-133.
- McKinlay A, Quinn B. Remaking management, work and industrial relations: British commercial television, c. 1979-2000. Historical Studies in Industrial Relations 2007, 23/24, 155-180.
- McKinlay A, Wilson RG. 'Small acts of cunning': Bureaucracy, inspection and the career, c. 1890-1914. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 2006, 17(5), 657-678.
- Carter C, McKinlay A, Rowlinson M. Foucault, Management and History. Organization 2002, 9(4), 515-526.
- McKinlay A, Taylor S. 'Bottled Magic': The business of self-knowledge. London: Routledge, 2017. In Press.
- McKinlay A, Pezet E, ed. Foucault, Governmentality and Management: Rethinking the Management of Populations, Organizations and Individuals. 2017. In Press.
- Carter C, McKinlay A. Governing through numbers: Foucault, Governmentality and Accounting. In: Roslender, R, ed. Routledge Companion to Critical Accounting. London: Routledge, 2017. In Press.
- McKinlay A, Pezet E. Governmentality: The career of a concept. In: McKinlay, A; Pezet, E, ed. Foucault, Governmentality and Management: Rethinking the Management of Populations, Organizations and Individuals. London: Routledge, 2017. In Press.
- McKinlay A. Making Governmentality I: An Interview with Nikolas Rose by alan McKinlay. London: Routledge, 2017. In Press.
- McKinlay A. Making Governmentality II: An Interview with Peter Miller. London: Routledge, 2017. In Press.
- Durepos G, McKinlay A, Taylor S. Narrating Histories of Women at Work: Archives, stories and the promise of feminism at work. Business History 2017.
- Durepo G, McKinlay A, Taylor S. Narrating Histories of Gender at work: In and out of the archive. Business History 2016. Submitted.
- McKinlay A, Mutch A. 'Accountable Creatures': Scottish Presbyterianism, accountability and managerial capitalism. Business History 2015, 57(2), 241-256.