Dr Chen Su
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1656
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/business-school/staff/profile//chensu.html#background
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Chen Su, PhD, MSc, MBA, BEng
Senior Lecturer at Newcastle University Business School, 2014-
Head of the FACE (Finance, Accounting, Control & Evaluation) Research Group, 2015-
Senior Tutor (PG at Accounting & Finance Group) 2014-
Fellow in Higher Education Academy (HEA), 2013
Lecturer in Corporate Finance at Newcastle University Business School, 2011-14
Honorary Fellow at University of Liverpool Management School, 2011-
Research Assistant at University of Liverpool Management School, 2010-11
Teaching Assistant at University of Liverpool Management School, 2008-10
Overseas Research Students Award Scheme (ORSAS) for PhD study, HEFCE, UK, 2007-10
International Advancement Award for PhD study, University of Liverpool, 2007-10
International Postgraduate Scholarship for MSc study, University of Liverpool, 2005-06
My principal research interest lies in the field of empirical finance and stock market behaviour with an emphasis on initial public offerings (IPOs), portfolio performance evaluation, and asset pricing and valuation, etc.
Research projects in progress
1) Earnings management and IPO performance (UK & China);
2) Brokerage houses and their stock recommendations (UK);
3) Share price behavior to Merger & Acquisitions (M&As) announcements (US);
4) Style momentum (China);
5) The Impact of customer satisfaction on stock prices (US).
Welcome expressions of interests from potential PhD students in the above areas and related finance areas. Please email your CV and research proposal first.
ACC3006 International Financial Management (UG) 2011/12-2015/16
ACC3020 Financial Manager for Erasmus and study abroad students (UG) 2011/12-2015/16
NBS8235 Financial Planning and Investment (PG, Module Leader) 2011/12-
NBS8223 Dissertation in MSc Strategic Planning and Investment (PG, Module Leader) 2013/14-2014/15
NBS8004 Dissertation in MA International Financial Analysis (PG, Module Leader) 2013/14-2014/15
- Su C. The efficiency of IPO issuing mechanisms and market conditions: evidence in China. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 2017, e-pub ahead of print.
- Huang J, Su C, Joseph NL, Gilder D. Monitoring mechanisms, managerial incentives, investment distortion costs, and derivatives usage. The British Accounting Review 2018, 50(1), 93-141.
- Kyei-Mensah J, Su C, Joseph NL. Shareholders wealth and mergers and acquisitions (M&As). Investment Management and Financial Innovations 2017, 14(3), 15-24.
- Su C. Does institutional reform improve the impact of investment bank reputation on the long-term stock performance of initial public offerings?. British Accounting Review 2015, 47(4), 445-470.
- Brookfield D, Su C, Bangassa K. Investment Style Positioning of UK Unit Trusts. European Journal of Finance 2015, 21(10-11), 946-970.
- Su C, Yu J. Market-oriented reform of China's IPO system and information disclosure regulations. In: Cheng, S ; Li, Z, ed. The Chinese Stock Market Volume I: A Retrospect and Analysis from 2002. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014, pp.39-105.
- Su C, Brookfield D. An evaluation of the impact of stock market reforms on IPO under-pricing in China: The certification role of underwriters. International Review of Financial Analysis 2013, 28, 20-33.
- Brookfield D, Boussabaine H, Su C. Identifying reference companies using the book-to-market ratio: A minimum spanning tree approach. European Journal of Finance 2013, 19(6), 466-490.
- Bangassa K, Su C, Joseph N. Selectivity and Timing Performance of UK Investment Trusts. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 2012, 22(5), 1149-1175.
- Su C, Bangassa K. The impact of underwriter reputation on initial returns and long-run performance of Chinese IPOs. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 2011, 21(5), 760-791.
- Su C, Bangassa K. Underpricing and long run performance of Chinese IPOs: The role of underwriter reputation. Financial Markets and Portfolio Management 2011, 25(1), 53-74.
- Su C, Bangassa K, Brookfield D. Long-Run Performance of Chinese Initial Public Offerings: Further Evidence. Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studies 2011, 40(2), 285-316.