Dr David Barlow
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1664
Roles and Responsibilities
chair of economics sub-board of studies
PhD Newcastle 1993
Macroeconomics, paricularly Monetary Economics
Economic reform and economic performance in central and eastern europe
European economic integration
1. Welfare cost of inflation in the UK and in the US. Such studies consider the welfare loss due to the reduction in money holdings as higher inflation raises the rate of interest.
1a. For UK the analysis considers the household and corporate sectors individually.
1b. For US the analysis is applied to aggregate divisia indices.
2. The demand for notes and coins in the UK, disagregated by sector and paying attention to the the effect of the crisis that dates from the near collapse of Northern Rock.
1. Demand for Divisia money in countries other than US.
invited to co-author papers on inequality with researchers at Warwick University
EU Framework 5 projeect 2001-2004, total value £400,000
introductory economics (eco1017)
european economies, as part of Global Economies (eco1019)
Seminars for economic modelling (eco2003) and intermediate macroeconomics (eco2005)
monetary economics, as part of advanced macroeconomics (eco3002)
transition, developmemt & reform (eco3027)
- Ashworth J, Barlow D, Evans L. Sectoral money demand behaviour and the welfare cost of inflation in the UK. The Manchester School 2014, 82(6), 732-750.
- Barlow D. How financial reform and economic integration affect the response of financial depth to economic development in transition economies. 2011.
- Barlow D. How did structural reform influence inflation in transition economies?. Economic Systems 2010, 34(2), 198-210.
- Grimalda G, Barlow D, Meschi E. Varieties of capitalisms and varieties of performances: accounting for inequality in post-Soviet Union transition economies. International Review of Applied Economics 2010, 24(3), 379-403.
- Barlow D, Grimalda G, Meschi E. Globalisation vs internal reforms as factors of inequality in transition economies. International Review of Applied Economics 2009, 23(3), 265-287.
- Barlow D. Growth in transition economies: A trade policy perspective. Economics of Transition 2006, 14(3), 505-515.
- Barlow D, Radulescu R. The sequencing of reform in transition economies. Journal of Comparative Economics 2005, 33(4), 835-850.
- Barlow D. Purchasing power parity in three transition economies. Economics of Planning 2003, 36(3), 201-221.
- Barlow D, Robson M. Have unincorporated businesses in the UK been constrained in their ability to obtain bank lending?. Applied Financial Economics 2002, 12(9), 673-680.
- Barlow D, Radulescu R. Purchasing power parity in the transition: The case of the Romanian leu against the dollar. Post-Communist Economies 2002, 14(1), 123-136.
- Radulescu R, Barlow D. The relationship between policies and growth in transition countries. Economics of Transition 2002, 10(3), 719-745.
- Barlow D. Financial development in the European transition economies in the years leading up to the 2008 financial crisis. . 2016. In Preparation.
- Barlow D. The effect of the financial crisis on the cash balances of UK households. 2016. In Preparation.
- Ashworth J, Barlow D, Evans L. The welfare cost of inflation in the US: a divisia money approach. 2016. In Preparation.
- Barlow D. Sectoral holdings of notes and coins in the UK: The effect of the crisis commencing in 2007. In: International cash conference 2014. The usage, costs and benefits of cash - revisited. 2015, Dresden, Germany: Deutsche Bundesbank, Eurosystem.
- Barlow D. The effect of the 2007/8 financial crisis on the money balances of UK households, is there evidence of a liquidity trap?. 2015. In Preparation.