Dr Jonathan Jones
DPD - BA Economics & Business Management
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1550
- Address: Room 3.02
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Jonathan Jones is a lecturer in Economics at Newcastle University Business School. His research interests are in empirical microeconomics applied specifically to foreign direct investment. His work has been published in a number of economics and regional science journals and is the co-author of a book on foreign direct investment and the regional economy. He has also been involved as an affiliate of the ESRC/UK government funded Spatial Economics Research Centre and his work has attracted media interest, including national and regional television, radio appearances, BBC web-based coverage and from the Financial Times.
Roles and Responsibilities
Degree Programme Director, BA(Hons) Economics and Business Management (LN12)
PhD, Economics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne:
'The Nature and Performance of Inward Investment in North-East England: 1985-98'
MA(Economics), University of Liverpool
BA(Hons), Economics/Accounting & Finance, University of Manchester
Foreign Direct Investment, Regional Economics, Applied Microeconomics
Current Papers under Submission
"Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: A Meta-Analysis"
“The European Union Accession Process and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investments in the CEECs” (with Ilona Serwicka and Colin Wren).
“Intermediate and Non-Intermediate Markets and FDI Location: An IO-Transaction Table Approach” (with Colin Wren).
Qianyi Zhou: Location of BRICS FDI within the European Union.
Ilona Serwicka: FDI Location across EU Regions and Enlargement.
Abdulaziz Almahmood: Inward FDI and Saudi Arabia.
Previous Work and Affiliations
Affiliate of Spatial Economics Research Centre:
ECO3026 Industrial Economics and Policy
ECO2009 Empirical Economic Analysis
ECO2004 Microeconomic Analysis
ECO106 Statistics for Economists
ECO110 Mathematics for Economics
ECO312 Public Economics
BSM824 Applied Time Series Modelling and Forecasting
- Jones J. Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Regional Science 2017. In Press.
- Wren C, Jones J. Understanding the Location of Foreign Direct Investment. Palgrave Macmillan UK, 2016.
- Jones J, Wren C. The Dynamics of Service FDI Location: A Disaggregated Industry Analysis for Great Britain. In: Beerepoot,N; Lambregts,B; Kleibert,J, ed. Globalisation and Services-driven Economic Growth : Perspectives from the Global North and South. London: Routledge, 2016, pp.90-104.
- Jones J, Wren C. Does Service FDI Locate Differently to Manufacturing FDI? A Regional Analysis for Great Britain. Regional Studies 2016, 50(12), 1980-1994.
- Wren C, Jones J. FDI Location across British Regions and Agglomerative Forces: A Markov Analysis. Spatial Economic Analysis 2012, 7(2), 265-286.
- Wren C, Jones J. Quantitative Evaluation of the LEAD Programme, 2004-11. Lancaster: Institute for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development, Lancaster University, 2012.
- Wren C, Jones J. Assessing the Regional Impact of Grants on FDI Location: Evidence from U.K. Regional Policy, 1985-2005. Journal of Regional Science 2011, 51(3), 497-517.
- Wren CM, Jones J. Re-investment and the survival of foreign-owned plants. Regional Science and Urban Economics 2009, 39(2), 214-223.
- Wren C, Jones J. Grants and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from the UK Regions. In: Farschi M; Janne O; McCann P, ed. Technological Change and Mature Industrial Regions: Firms, Knowledge, and Policy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2009, pp.299-320.
- Jones J, Wren C. Foreign Inward Investment and Regional Prospects. Northern Economic Review 2008, 38, 61-79.
- Jones J, Wren C. Foreign Direct Investment and the Regional Economy. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2005.
- Jones J, Wren C. Do inward investors achieve their job targets. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 2004, 66(4), 483-513.
- Jones J, Wren C. Inward foreign direct investment and employment: A project-based analysis in north-east England. Journal of Economic Geography 2004, 4(5), 517-543.
- Jones J, Tomaney J, Pike A, Wren C. Memorandum to the Welsh Affairs Select Committee Inquiry into Trade and Manufacturing Policy Impact on Wales. House of Commons Parliamentary Papers 2004.
- Jones J, Serwicka I, Wren C. Border Effects and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: Winners and Losers of EU Enlargement. Journal of Economic Geography (In Preparation) 2017. In Preparation.