Dr Lana Liu
Lecturer in Accounting and Finance; Joint Head of International Undergraduate Recruitment
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1703
- Address: Floor 4, Room 4.11
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Head of International Undergraduate Recruitment
Member of Internationalisation Strategy Committee
BSc (Hons) Economics
PG Dip. Business Information Technology
PG Cert. Academic Practice
HEA Certificate of Fellowship
Member of British Accounting Association
Member of European Accounting Association
Fellow of Higher Education Academy
The development and implementation of mangement accounting innovation in practice
Longitudinal study of the use of activity-based techniques in the UK organisations
Comparative study of the development of management accounting practice in the UK and China
Accounting information disclosure in Chinese stock exchanges
International merger and acquisition
Chinese Natural Science Research Council "Value-Based and Strategic-Oriented Management Accounting Research in China" 2011-2014, amount RMB1,370,000.
CIMA interventionist research grant £12,822 (Feb 2008-Mar 2011)
CIMA research grant £6,000 (Oct 2002-Sept 2003)
HASS Faculty innovation research grant £2,500 (2002)
China Ministry of Education Humanity and Social Science Importance Research Project (project number: 05JJD630002) RMB80,000 (2007-2010)
University Teching and Learnig Committee grant on "Transition of Interntional Partner Students in the UK" £7500 (2009)
Additional Research Activiities
Accessor of ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme since 2008
Ad hoc referee for Journal of Management Accounting Studies and International Journal of Production Economics
Visiting professor of Institute of Accounting and Finance Research, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
ACC3002 Management Accounting
ACC2003 Financial Control
NBS8233 Managerial Decision Making and Control
NBS8006 Accounting for Analyst
Masters Dissertation Supervision
PhD supervision in areas of
- Performance Measurement in NHS
- Integrated Information System and Management Accounting Techniques in Thailand
- Liu LYJ, Pan F, Zhou L, Ma BZ. Field study of Management Accounting Change and Innovation. Accounting Research Journal 2012, 293(3), 116-128.
- Liu LYJ, Pan F. Activity-Based Costing in China: a Case Study of Xu Ji Co. Ltd. Research Executive Summary Series 2011, 7(13), 1-13.
- Wang Y, Pan F, Liu LYJ. The Determinants of Divisional Summay Performance Measures: Survey Evidence of Large Chinese Organisations. Journal of Finance and Economics 2011, 4, 92-102.
- Liu LYJ, Mitchell F, Robinson J. A Longitudinal Study of the Adoption of an Activity-Based Planning System in the Crown Prosecution Service of England and Wales, United Kingdom. Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change 2008, 4(3), 318-342.
- Liu LYJ, Pan F. The implementation of Activity-Based Costing in China: An innovation action research approach. British Accounting Review 2007, 39(3), 249-264.
- Liu LYJ. The Use of Activity-Based Planning (ABP) in the UK Crown Prosecution Service (CPS): a Longitudinal Study. London: CIMA, 2006. CIMA Research Executive Summaries Vol. 2. No. 9.
- Liu LYJ, Robinson JJ, Martin J. An application of activity-based budgeting: A UK experience. Journal of Cost Management 2003, 17(5), 30-36.
- Liu LYJ. How to Implement Activity-based Budgeting: Lessons from Three Case Studies. In: Innes, J, ed. Handbook of Management Accounting. Oxford: CIMA Publishing, 2004, pp.225-290.
- Liu LYJ. Activity-Based Costing: its use in the UK Crown Prosecution Service. Financial Management 2005, (3), 29-31.
- Liu LYJ, Wang Y, Pan F, Innes J. Participation in Internal Transfer Pricing and its Effect on Performance: Survey Evidence from China. In: The 33rd Annual European Accounting Association Congress. 2010, Istanbul.
- Jiang RH, Liu LYJ, Hussain S. Accounting in China. Financial Management 2008, (9), 50.
- Liu LYJ, Wang Y, Pan F. The Impact of Participation in Internal Transfer Pricing: Survey Evidence from China. In: Management Accounting Research Group Annual Conference. 2008, Aston Business School, Birmingham University, UK.
- Jiang TRH, Liu LYJ, Hussain S. Evidence on the China-IAS Earings Gap and the Impact of China's "Accounting System for Business Enterprises". In: The 2007 Annual Academic Conference of the Chinese Accounting Association. 2007, Wuhan, China.
- Liu LYJ, Pan F. The Diffusion of Activity-Based Costing in China: A Case Study. In: International Conference on Management Accounting in China, Recent Developments in Theory and Practice. 2006, Shanghai, China.
- Liu LYJ, Pan F. A Case Study of the Implementation of Activity-Based Costing in China. In: 9th Annual Congress of Chinese Accounting Professor Association. 2004, Xi'an, China.
- Liu LYJ, Huang JJ. Worldcom: What is the Fuss about?. In: International Conference of Accounting in Transitional Economy. 2003, Xiamen, China.
- Liu LYJ. A Systematic Investigation of the Development and Implementation of Activity-Based Budgeting Systems in the UK: Three Case Studies. Newcastle: University of Northumbria at Newcastle, 2002.
- Liu LYJ, Martin J, Robinson JJ. Double Measure. Financial Management 2002, (10), 22-24.
- Liu LYJ, Pan F, Zhou L, Ma BZ. Trial and Tribulation: How to manage the sales force and sales expenses are the most frequently asked questions among today’s managers of state-owned enterprises (SOEs) in China. London, UK: Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, 2011. Available at: http://www.fm-magazine.com/feature/depth/trial-and-tribulation.
- Liu LYJ. Double Measure. Financial Management 2002, 22-24.
- Liu LYJ. The Use of Activity-Based Budgeting in Resource Allocation at Crown Prosecution Services: a Case Study. working paper, 2002.
- Liu LYJ, Sumkaew N, McLaren J. Changes in Management Accounting Practices in Thailand 2001-2012: some Empirical Evidence. In: British Accounting & Finance Association (BAFA) Annual Conference. 2014, London School of Economics, London, UK.
- Liu LYJ, Nguyen TKO. Performance Management System, Perceived Environment Uncertainty and Firm Performance: Some Preliminary Evidence from Vietnam. In: 50th BAFA Annual Conference. 2014, London School of Economics, London, UK.
- Liu LYJ, Sumkaew N, McLaren J. Changes in Management Accounting Practices during Economic Crises: a Longitudinal Study of Thailand from 2001 to 2012. In: Management Accounting Research Group Conference. 2013, Aston Business School, Birmingham, UK.
- Sumkaew N, Liu L, McLaren J. Benefits and Use of Management Accounting Practices in Thailand. In: World Business Research Conference. 2012, Bangkok, Thailand.