Professor Matthew Gorton
Professor in Marketing, Joint Head of Marketing, Operations and Systems Group
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1576
- Address: 8th Floor, Room 8.03
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Subject Group Head for Marketing, Operations and Systems
Co-ordinator of the H2020 Strength2Food Project www.strength2food.eu
BSc, PhD, CMRS
Market Research Society
International Association of Agricultural Economists
European Association of Agricultural Economists
European Academy of Marketing
Research Groups at Newcastle University
European agri-food markets
Small businesses and rural development
Strength2Food http://www.strength2food.eu (co-ordinator)
Adding Value to the Vietnamese agri-food sector https://research.ncl.ac.uk/bcvietnamproject/
a) COMPETE (International comparisons of product supply chains in the agro-food sectors: determinants of their competitiveness and performance on EU and international markets). EU FP7. http://www.compete-project.eu/
b) Drivers of rural business growth, decline and stability. Input for Frontier Economics project for DEFRA. http://randd.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Menu=Menu&Module=More&Location=None&Completed=0&ProjectID=18782
c) EU INTAS funded research project on Supporting the International Development of the CIS Agricultural Sector (SIDCISA). Major study of agricultural marketing relationships in Armenia, Moldova and Ukraine.http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/74546_en.html
d) SCARLED (Structural Change in Agriculture and Rural Livelihoods), 6th Framework project funded by the European Commission.http://scarled.eu/
e) Water Resource Strategies and Drought Alleviation in Western Balkan Agriculture (WATERWEB). Funded by EU FPVI INCO West Balkans. Studies of agricultural water management in Serbia and Macedonia.
f) FOCUS-Balkans. Consumer food choice in the Balkans. EU FP7.http://www.focus-balkans.org/
The research projects I have been involved with have generated around £1.5m in research income to the University. These projects have been funded by a wide range of bodies including EU Framework 5, 6 and 7, H2020, ERDF Interreg, ESRC CASE Studentships, The British Council, Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), DEFRA and ONE North East.
NBS8526 Principles of Marketing (module leader)
NBS8512 Dissertation in Marketing (supervisor)
- Harvey D, Hubbard C, Gorton M, Tocco B. How Competitive is the EU’s Agri-Food Sector? An Introduction to a Special Feature on EU Agri-Food Competitiveness. Journal of Agricultural Economics 2017, 68(1), 199-205.
- Dawson P, Gorton M, Hubbard C, Hubbard L. Pricing-To-Market Analysis: The Case of EU Wheat Exports. Journal of Agricultural Economics 2017, 68(1), 301-315.
- Fredriksson L, Bailey A, Davidova S, Gorton M, Traikova D. The Commercialisation of Subsistence Farms: Evidence from the New Member States of the EU. Land Use Policy 2017, 60, 37-47.
- Balogh P, Békési D, Gorton M, Popp J, Lengyel P. Consumer willingness to pay for traditional food products. Food Policy 2016, 61, 176-184.
- Chatzopoulou E, Gorton M, Kuznesof S. Defining food authenticity: An efficient promotion for ethnic restaurants. In: EURAM 2016. 2016, Paris, France: European Academy of Management.
- Angell A, Gorton M, Sauer J, Bottomley P, White J. Don't Distract Me When I'm Media Multitasking: Toward a Theory for Raising Advertising Recall and Recognition. Journal of Advertising 2016, 45(2), 198-210.
- Tregear A, Torok A, Gorton M. Geographical Indications and Upgrading of Small-scale Producers in Global Agro-food Chains: A Case Study of the Makó Onion PDO. Environment and Planning A 2016, 48(2), 433-451.
- Chatzopoulou E, Gorton M, Kuznesof S. Quality Conventions Theory and the Communication of Authenticity: evidence from Greek restaurants in the UK and Greece. In: Radical Marketing Academy of Marketing Annual Conference 2016. 2016, Newcastle Upon Tyne: Academy of Marketing.
- Newbery R, Gorton M, Phillipson J, Atterton J. Sustaining business networks: Understanding the benefit bundles sought by members of local business associations. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2016, 34(7), 1267-1283.
- Angell R, Gorton M, Bottomley P, White J. Understanding fans’ responses to the sponsor of a rival team. European Sport Management Quarterly 2016, 16(2), 190-213.
- Tocco B, Hubbard C, Gorton M. Competitiveness of the EU Agri-Food Sector: a Synthesis of Findings from the COMPETE Project. Compete Working Papers 2015, 16.
- Sauer J, Gorton M, Davidova S. Migration and Farm Technical Efficiency: evidence from Kosovo. Agricultural Economics 2015, 46(5), 629-641.
- Petrovici D, Shan Y, Gorton M, Ford J. Patriot games? Determinants of responses to Chinese and foreign sponsors of the Beijing Olympics. Journal of Business Research 2015, 68(6), 1324–1331.
- Gorton M, Angell R, Dries L, Urutyan V, Jackson E, White J. Power, buyer trustworthiness and supplier performance: evidence from the Armenian dairy sector. Industrial Marketing Management 2015, 50, 69–77.
- Gorton M, Salvioni C, Hubbard C. Semi-subsistence Farms and Alternative Food Supply Chains. EuroChoices 2014, 13(1), 15-19.
- Dries L, Gorton M, Urutyan V, White J. Supply chain relationships, supplier support programmes and stimulating investment: evidence from the Armenian dairy sector. Supply Chain Management: an International Journal 2014, 19(1), 98-107.
- Brecic R, Filipovic J, Gorton M, Ognjanov G, Stojanovic Z, White J. A Qualitative Approach to Understanding Brand Image in an International Context: Insights from Croatia and Serbia. International Marketing Review 2013, 30(4), 275-296.
- Osmani F, Gorton M, White J. Agricultural households, poverty and the rural labour market in Kosovo. Post-Communist Economies 2013, 25(2), 241-252.
- Newbery R, Sauer J, Gorton M, Phillipson J, Atterton J. Determinants of the performance of business associations in rural settlements in the United Kingdom: an analysis of members’ satisfaction and willingness-to-pay for association survival. Environment and Planning A 2013, 45(4), 967-985.
- Sehib K, Jackson EL, Gorton M. Gender, social acceptability and the adoption of supermarkets: evidence from Libya. International Journal of Consumer Studies 2013, 37(4), 379-386.
- Davidova S, Bailey A, Dwyer J, Erjavec E, Gorton M, Thomson K. Semi-subsistence Farming - Value and Directions of Development. Brussels, Belgium: European Parliament, 2013. Directorate-General For Internal Policies IP/B/AGRI/IC/2012-65.
- Gorton M, Angell R, White J, Tseng Y-S. Understanding Consumer Responses to Retailers' Cause Related Voucher Schemes: Evidence from the UK Grocery Sector. European Journal of Marketing 2013, 47(11/12), 1931-1953.
- Jackson EL, Gorton M, Zhang D. Consumer consciousness and the Chinese food chain - Urban understandings of a rural process. In: Rural Sociological Society 75th Annual Meeting. 2012, Chicago, Illinois, USA: Rural Sociological Society.
- Sauer J, Gorton M, White J. Marketing, co-operatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector. Agricultural Economics 2012, 43(2), 165-177.
- Davidova S, Fredriksson L, Gorton M, Mishev P, Petrovici D. Subsistence farming, incomes, and agricultural livelihoods in the New Member States of the European Union. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2012, 30(2), 209-227.
- Milosevic J, Zezelj I, Gorton M, Barjolle D. Understanding the motives for food choice in Western Balkan countries. Appetite 2012, 58(1), 205-214.
- Hubbard MC, Gorton M. Placing Agriculture within Rural Development: Evidence from EU Case Studies. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2011, 29(1), 80-95.
- Gorton M, Zaric V, Lowe P, Quarrie S. Public and private agri-environmental regulation in post-socialist economies: evidence from the Serbian Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Sector. Journal of Rural Studies 2011, 27(2), 144-152.
- Gorton M, Sauer J, Supatpongkul P. Wet Markets, Supermarkets and the 'Big Middle' for Food Retailing in Developing Countries: Evidence from Thailand. World Development 2011, 39(9), 1624-1637.
- Gorton M, Lowe P, Quarrie S, Zaric V. European rule adoption in Central and Eastern Europe: a comparative analysis of agricultural water management in Serbia. Environmental Politics 2010, 19(4), 578-598.
- Latruffe L, Davidova S, Douarin E, Gorton M. Farm Expansion in Lithuania after Accession to the EU: The Role of CAP Payments in Alleviating Potential Credit Constraints. Europe-Asia Studies 2010, 62(2), 351-365.
- Jackson EL, Gorton M, White J. A structural analysis of contractual innovations within the CIS milk industry. In: 3rd International European Forum on System Dynamics and Innovation in Food Networks. 2009, Igls, Austria.
- Gorton M, White J. Export strategies and performance in the CIS: case study evidence from the dairy sector. Post-Communist Economies 2009, 21(4), 475-494.
- Tregear A, Gorton M. The challenges of sharing: brands as club goods. European Journal of Marketing 2009, 43(5/6), 826-842.
- Gorton M, Hubbard MC, Hubbard LJ. The Folly of European Union Policy Transfer: Why the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Does Not Fit Central and Eastern Europe. Regional Studies 2009, 43(10), 1305-1317.
- Gorton M, Sauer J, Peshevski M, Bosev D, Shekerinov D, Quarrie S. Water Communities in the Republic of Macedonia: An Empirical Analysis of Membership Satisfaction and Payment Behavior . World Development 2009, 37(12), 1951-1963.
- Gorton M, Douarin E, Davidova S, Latruffe L. Attitudes to agricultural policy and farming futures in the context of the 2003 CAP reform: A comparison of farmers in selected established and new Member States. Journal of Rural Studies 2008, 24(3), 322-336.
- Gorton M, Tregear A. Government support to regional food producers: an assessment of England’s Regional Food Strategy. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 2008, 26(6), 1047-1060.
- Szymanski A, Gorton M, Hubbard LJ. A Comparative Analysis of Firm Performance in Post-socialist Economies: Evidence from the Polish Food Processing Industry. Post-Communist Economies 2007, 19(4), 433-448.
- Gorton M, White J, Dries L, Ignat A, Sardaryan G, Skripnik A. Dairy farming and milk marketing relationships in the CIS. Eurasian Geography and Economics 2007, 48(6), 733-747.
- Chaplin H, Gorton M, Davidova S. Impediments to the diversification of rural economies in central and eastern Europe: Evidence from small-scale farms in Poland. Regional Studies 2007, 41(3), 361-376.
- Iraizoz B, Gorton M, Davidova S. Segmenting farms for analysing agricultural trajectories: A case study of the Navarra region in Spain. Agricultural Systems 2007, 93(1-3), 143-169.
- Gorton M, White J. The restructuring of agri-food supply chains in CEE and the CIS: Overview and policy implications. Outlook on Agriculture 2007, 36(4), 237-246.
- Haverty M, Gorton M. Integrating market orientation and competitive benchmarking: A methodological framework and application. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence 2006, 17(8), 1077-1091.
- Phillipson J, Gorton M, Laschewski L. Local business co-operation and the dilemmas of collective action: Rural micro-business networks in the North of England. Sociologia Ruralis 2006, 46(1), 40-60.
- Gorton M, Dumitrashko M, White J. Overcoming supply chain failure in the agri-food sector: A case study from Moldova. Food Policy 2006, 31(1), 90-103.
- Gorton M, Davidova S, Banse M, Bailey A. The international competitiveness of Hungarian agriculture: Past performance and future projections. Post-Communist Economies 2006, 18(1), 69-84.
- Zellei A, Gorton M, Lowe P. Agri-environmental policy systems in transition and preparation for EU membership. Land Use Policy 2005, 22(3), 225-234.
- Petrovici DA, Gorton M. An evaluation of the importance of subsistence food production for assessments of poverty and policy targeting: Evidence from Romania. Food Policy 2005, 30(2), 205-223.
- Gorton M, White J, Dumitrashko M. Applying the clinical inquiry approach to understand and facilitate enterprise restructuring in transitional economies: A case study from the moldovan wine industry. Systemic Practice and Action Research 2005, 18(1), 35-52.
- Tregear A, Gorton M. Geographical origin as a branding tool for agri-food producers. Society and Economy 2005, 27(4), 399-414.
- Gorton M, Lowe P, Zellei A. Pre-accession europeanisation: The strategic realignment of the environmental policy systems of Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia towards agricultural pollution in preparation for EU membership. Sociologia Ruralis 2005, 45(3), 202-223.
- Zemeckis R, Lazauskas S, Gorton M. The Europeanisation of agri-environmental policy: A case study of water quality in the Lithuanian karst zone. Land Use Policy 2005, 22(3), 255-264.
- Chaplin H, Davidova S, Gorton M. Agricultural adjustment and the diversification of farm households and corporate farms in Central Europe. Journal of Rural Studies 2004, 20(1), 61-77.
- Zaharieva E, Gorton M, Lingard J. An evaluation of marketing practices and market orientation in the Bulgarian wine industry. Post-Communist Economies 2004, 16(2), 229-243.
- Gorton M, Davidova S. Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: A synthesis of results. Agricultural Economics 2004, 30(1), 1-16.
- Gorton M, Ignat G, White J. The evolution of post-Soviet labour processes: A case study of the hollowing out of paternalism in Moldova. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2004, 15(7), 1249-1261.
- Phillipson J, Gorton M, Raley M, Moxey A. Treating farms as firms? The evolution of farm business support from productionist to entrepreneurial models. Environment and Planning C: Government & Policy 2004, 22(1), 31-54.
- Gorton M, Kovacs B, Mizik T, Davidova S, Ratinger T, Iraizoz B. An analysis of the performance of commercially oriented farms in Hungary. Post-Communist Economies 2003, 15(3), 401-416.
- Zaharieva E, Gorton M, Lingard J. Procurement mechanisms and the emergence of new governance structures in the CEECs: Evidence from the Bulgarian wine industry. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management 2003, 9(5-6), 235-245.
- Gorton M, White J. The politics of agrarian collapse: Decollectivisation in Moldova. East European Politics and Societies 2003, 17(2), 305-351.
- Gorton M, White J, Chernyshova S, Skripnik A, Vinichenko T, Dumitrasco M, Soltan G. The reconfiguration of post-soviet food industries: Evidence from Ukraine and Moldova. Agribusiness 2003, 19(4), 409-424.
- Davidova S, Gorton M, Iraizoz B, Ratinger T. Variations in farm performance in transitional economies: Evidence from the Czech Republic. Journal of Agricultural Economics 2003, 54(2), 227-245.
- Gorton M, Guba F. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and the restructuring of the Hungarian dairy processing sector. Journal of East-West Business 2002, 7(4), 5-28.
- Laschewski L, Phillipson J, Gorton M. The facilitation and formalisation of small business networks: evidence from the North East of England. Environment and Planning C: Government & Policy 2002, 20(3), 375-391.
- Ness M, Gorton M, Kuznesof S. The student shopper: Segmentation on the basis of attitudes to store features and shopping behaviour. British Food Journal 2002, 104(7), 506.
- Gorton M. Agricultural land reform in Moldova. Land Use Policy 2001, 18(3), 269-279.
- Gorton M. Agricultural land reform in Moldova. Land Use Policy 2001, 18(3), 269-279.
- Gorton M, Davidova S. The international competitiveness of CEEC agriculture. World Economy 2001, 24(2), 185-200.
- Gorton M, Danilowska A, Jarka S, Straszewski S, Zawojska A, Majewski E. The international competitiveness of Polish agriculture. Post-Communist Economies 2001, 13(4), 445-457.
- Gorton M, Daniowska A, Jarka S, Straszewski S, Zawojska A. The International Competitiveness of Polish Agriculture. Post Communist Economies 2001, 13(4), 445-457.
- Gorton MJ, Davidova S, Ratinger T. The competitiveness of agriculture in Bulgaria and the Czech Republic vis-à-vis the European Union (CEEC and EU agricultural competitiveness). Comparative Economic Studies 2000, 42(1), 59-86.
- Erjavec E, Gorton M, Kuhar A, Valant V. Firm level restructuring in the Slovenian food industry. Post-Communist Economies 1999, 11(4), 518-539.
- Gorton M. Spatial variations in markets served by UK-based small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 1999, 11(1), 39-55.