Dr Robert Willison
Deputy Director of Doctoral Programmes and Degree Programme Director for N200: Senior Lecturer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 1510
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Before joining Newcastle University in 2012, Robert held previous positions at Copenhagen Business School and Northumbria University. Robert studied his PhD at the London School of Economics in the field of Information Systems. Prior to that, he received a distinction for his MSc in Sociology.
His research can be located in the field of Information Systems, but he is considered an expert in Information Systems Security. More specifically, and drawing on his sociological background, Robert's research focuses on employee computer abuse. Much of his work is theoretical in nature, and examines the decision making processes of offenders both prior to and also during the perpetration of this form of crime.
His research has been published in leading journal such as MIS Quarterly, the European Journal of Information Systems, Information and Management, Information and Organization and Information, Technology and People.
Robert is currently the Deputy Director of Doctoral Programmes and Degree Programme Director for the undergraduate degree 'Business Management' (N200).
Robert's research can be located in the field of Information Systems, but his research focuses on Information Systems Security. Drawing on his background in Sociology and Criminology, Robert's main area of research centres on employee computer abuse. More specifically, he looks at the behaviour and decision making processes of offenders both prior to, but also, during the crime.
Robert acts as a reviewer for the leading journals in his field including:
Information Systems Research
Journal of the Association for Information Systems
Journal of Management Information Systems
European Journal of Information Systems
Journal of Strategic Information Systems
Information Systems Journal
Information, Technology and People
He is currently co-editing a special issue for the European Journal of Information Systems on IS Security and Privacy in 21st Century Organizations.. For further details, please see:
Robert is also an ICIS 2016 co-track chair for the IS Security and Privacy track:
- Filieri R, Willison R. Antecedents of Knowledge Sourcing and Reuse from a Knowledge Repository in the Virtual Product Prototyping: The Role of Knowledge and System Quality Dimensions. Knowledge and Process Management 2016, 23(2), 147-160.
- Willison R, Warkentin M, Johnston AC. Examining employee computer abuse intentions: insights from justice, deterrence and neutralization perspectives. Information Systems Journal 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Willison R, Warkentin M. Beyond Deterrence: An Expanded View of Employee Computer Abuse. MIS Quarterly 2013, 37(1), 1-20.
- Siponen M, Vance A, Willison R. New insights into the problem of software piracy: The effects of neuralization, shame and moral beliefs. Information & Management 2012, 49(7-8), 334-341.
- Warkentin M, Willison R. Behavioural and policy issues in information systems security: the insider threat. European Journal of Information Systems 2009, 18(2), 101-105.
- Siponen M, Willison R. Information security management standards: Problems and solutions. Information & Management 2009, 46(5), 267-270.
- Willison R, Siponen M. Overcoming the insider: reducing employee computer crime through Situational Crime Prevention. Communications of the ACM 2009, 52(9), 133-137.