Dr Eileen Power
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4811
- Address: Devonshire Building, Newcastle University
Research interests include pollination ecology and ecosystem conservation.
My work in the bee lab focuses on the analysis of nectar and pollen composition of wild, agricultural/horticultural and alien-invasive plant species. The outcome of my work will be a publically accessible internet database which provides information on the nutritional qualities of nectar and pollen from the most common plant species growing in the UK. This resource will aid researchers, stakeholders and conservationists in understanding whether the nutritional needs of pollinators are being met in the UK landscape.
- Power EF, Stout JC. Organic dairy farming: impacts on insect–flower interaction networks and pollination. Journal of Applied Ecology 2011, 48(3), 561-569.
- Power EF, Kelly DL, Stout JC. Organic farming and landscape structure: effects on insect-pollinated plant diversity in intensively managed grasslands. PLoS One 2012, 7(5), e38073.
- Stout JC, Power EF, Stanley DA, Mullen SE. Pollinators and pollination networks in Irish farmland: implications for conservation of pollination services. In: Teagasc Biodiversity Conference: Conserving Farmland Biodiversity. Lessons Learned and Future Prospects. 2011, Wexford, Ireland.
- Copland AS, Baylis J, Power EF, Finney K. Breeding waders in cutaway peatlands in County Offaly. In: After Wise Use - The Future of Peatlands. Proceedings of the 13th International Peat Congress, International Peat Society. 2008, Jyväskylä, Finland.
- Stabler D, Power E, Borland A, Barnes J, Wright G. A method for analysing small samples of floral pollen for free and protein-bound amino acids. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Power E, Stabler D, Borland AM, Barnes J, Wright GA. Analysis of nectar from low-volume flowers: a comparison of collection methods for free amino acids . Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Tiedeken EJ, Egan PA, Stevenson PC, Wright GA, Brown MJF, Power EF, Farrell I, Matthews SM, Stout JC. Nectar chemistry modulates the impact of an invasive plant on native pollinators. Functional Ecology 2016, 30(6), 885-893.
- Wright GA, Baker DD, Palmer MJ, Stabler D, Mustard JA, Power EF, Borland AM, Stevenson PC. Caffeine in Floral Nectar Enhances a Pollinator's Memory of Reward. Science 2013, 339(6124), 1202-1204.
- Power EF, Kelly DL, Stout JC. Impacts of organic and conventional dairy farmer attitude, behaviour and knowledge on farm biodiversity in Ireland. Journal for Nature Conservation 2013, 21(5), 272-278.
- Power EF, Kelly DL, Stout JC. The impacts of traditional and novel herbicide application methods on target plants, non-target plants and production in intensive grasslands. Weed Research 2013, 53(2), 131-139.