Dr Yuki Kikuchi
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44-191-208-3275
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience
Newcastle University Medical School
Henry Wellcome Building, Framlington Place,
Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
The brain is equipped with a system that can incorporate the external world. The statistics relating to natural signals are known to share many similarities to those of brain signals. The interaction between the brain and the external environment facilitates the emergence of new capacities and novel behaviours due to optimisation of the brain’s systems.
My research interest is to gain a better understanding of such complex adaptive systems at the neural and behavioural levels in higher auditory functions.
I'm especially interested in understanding what impact temporal statistical structures of sounds can make on our cognitions and behaviours and have applied a variety of methods including electrophysiology, psychophysics, microstimulations, neuroanatomy, functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), and electroencephalography (EEG).
I'm also developing Python-based open-source learning and teaching resources to help to improve our cognitions and perceptions through sounds.
- Scientific American: The Brain Has Its Own “Autofill” Function for Speech. The neural version of a texting app anticipates what comes next when we hear speech
- Press release: What’s coming next? Scientists identify how the brain predicts speech
2002-2011 National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, USA
2007-2011 Georgetown University, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, USA
2007 Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Germany
2011-Present Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University Medical School, UK
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE PRESENTATIONS:
Kikuchi Y, Rhone AE, Nourski KV, Gander PE, Attaheri A, Kovach C, Kawasaki H, Griffiths TD , Howard III MA, Petkov CI (2015). Rule-based sequences of nonsense words elicit comparable nested neuronal oscillations in human and monkey auditory cortex, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 41.
Kikuchi Y, Ip J, Mossom J, Barraclough N, Petkov CI, Vuong Q (2014). Attentional modulation of repetition suppression effects in human voice and face-sensitive cortex. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 40.
Kikuchi Y, Attaheri A, Milne A, Wilson B, Petkov CI (2013). Cortical oscillations and spiking activity associated with Artificial Grammar Learning in the monkey auditory cortex. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 39.
Kikuchi Y, Kumar S, Baumann S, Overath T, Griffiths T, and Petkov CI (2012). Neuronal representation of temporal regularity associated with pitch perception in macaque auditory cortex. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 38. 366.22.
- "Rhythmic Brain. How rhythms can help our perception and learning?": Joseph Cowen Lifelong Learning Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (June 2017)
- "Music, Language, Syntax? Sequence Learning and Neurological Disorders": Joseph Cowen Lifelong Learning Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (Dec 2016)
- "Rhythms of your brain. Keys to train your brain through sounds": Joseph Cowen Lifelong Learning Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (January 2016)
- "Is Music Just for Us? Searching for the origins of musicality through neural symphony": Joseph Cowen Lifelong Learning Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (May - June 2016)
- "Interaction between cortical responses and natural sounds in the primate auditory system using MRI-guided electrophysiology'': Leibniz Institute for Neurobiology, Magdeburg, Germany (June 2013)
- "Human Brain Function and Behaviour": Kyoto University, Graduate School of Engineering, Japan. Neuroscience, Mental Health (Summer course, 2013)
Recent public engagement:
- BBC Radio 3: Music Matters: Music in the Time of Our Lives} (17-18 March, 2017)
- Kikuchi Y, Attaheri A, Wilson B, Rhone AE, Nourski KV, Gander PE, Kovach CK, Kawasaki H, Griffiths TD, Howard MA, Petkov CI. Sequence learning modulates neural responses and oscillatory coupling in human and monkey auditory cortex. PLoS Biology 2017, 15(4), e2000219.
- Munoz-Lopez M, Kikuchi Y. Editorial: The Functional Organization of the Auditory System. Frontiers in Neuroscience 2016, 10, 290.
- Vuong QC, Kikuchi Y, Ip J, Mossom JC, Barraclough N, Petkov CI. Attentional modulation of responses in human face- and voice-sensitive cortex. In: Scottish Vision Group. 2016, Carnoustie, Scotland: Sage Publications Ltd.
- Scott BH, Leccese PA, Saleem KS, Kikuchi Y, Mullarkey MP, Fukushima M, Mishkin M, Saunders RC. Intrinsic Connections of the Core Auditory Cortical Regions and Rostral Supratemporal Plane in the Macaque Monkey. Cerebral Cortex 2015, epub ahead of print.
- Wilson B, Kikuchi Y, Sun L, Hunter D, Dick F, Smith K, Thiele A, Griffiths TD, Marslen-Wilson WD, Petkov CI. Auditory sequence processing reveals evolutionarily conserved regions of frontal cortex in macaques and humans. Nature Communications 2015, 6, 8901.
- Hoeschele M, Merchant H, Kikuchi Y, Hattori Y, ten Cate C. Searching for the origins of musicality across species. Philosophical Transactions B 2015, 370(1664), 20140094.
- Petkov CI, Kikuchi Y, Milne AE, Mishkin M, Rauschecker JP, Logothetis NK. Different forms of effective connectivity in primate frontotemporal pathways. Nature Communications 2015, 6, 6000.
- Attaheri A, Kikuchi Y, Milne AE, Wilson B, Alter K, Petkov CI. EEG potentials associated with artificial grammar learning in the primate brain. Brain and Language 2015, 148, 74-80.
- Kikuchi Y, Horwitz B, Mishkin M, Rauschecker JP. Processing of harmonics in the lateral belt of macaque auditory cortex. Frontiers in Neuroscience 2014, 82, 204.
- Wilson B, Slater H, Kikuchi Y, Milne A, Marslen-Wilson W, Smith K, Petkov CI. Auditory Artificial Grammar Learning in Macaque and Marmoset Monkeys. Journal of Neuroscience 2013, 33(48), 18825-18835.
- Banerjee A, Kikuchi Y, Rauschecker JP, Mishkin M, Horwitz B. Decoding network mechanisms underlying complex sound discrimination using chronometry on trial-by-trial spike-field responses. In: Society for Neuroscience. 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. In Press.
- Kikuchi Y, Kumar S, Baumann S, Overath T, Griffiths T, Petkov C. Neuronal Representation of Temporal Regularity Associated with Pitch Perception in Macaque Auditory Cortex. In: Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting. 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Kikuchi Y, Horwitz B, Mishkin M. Hierarchical auditory processing directed rostrally along the monkey’s supratemporal plane. Journal of Neuroscience 2010, 30(39), 13021-13030.
- Petkov CI, Kikuchi Y, Augath M, Mishkin M, Rauschecker J, Logothetis NK. Voice region connectivity in the monkey assessed with microstimulation and functional imaging. In: 6th APAN Satellite Meeting to Society for Neuroscience. 2008, Washington DC Convention Center.
- Kikuchi Y, Rauschecker JP, Mishkin M, Augath M, Logothetis NK, Petkov CI. Voice region connectivity in the monkey assessed with microstimulation and functional imaging. In: Society for Neuroscience. 2008, Washington DC, USA.
- Kikuchi Y, Sawaguchi T, Miyauchi S. Cognitive neuroscience and functional MRI. Journal of Diagnostic Imaging 2002, 27(5), 475-482.
- Sawaguchi T, Iba M, Kikuchi-Yorioka Y, Fukushi T. Working memory and prefrontal cortex. In: Tanji, J., Yoshizawa, S, ed. Higher Brain Function. Tokyo: Asakura Publishing, 2001, pp.251-269.
- Kikuchi-Yorioka Y, Sawaguchi T. Parallel visuospatial and audiospatial working memory processes in the monkey dorsolateral prefrontal cortex. Nature Neuroscience 2000, 3(11), 1075-1076.
- Sawaguchi T, Kikuchi Y. Noradrenergic effects on activity of prefrontal cortical neurons in behaving monkeys. Adv. Pharmacol 1998, 42, 759-763.
- Scott BH, Saleem KS, Kikuchi Y, Fukushima M, Mishkin M, Saunders RC. Thalamic connections of the core auditory cortex and rostral supratemporal plane in the macaque monkey. Journal of Comparative Neurology 2017, 525(16), 3488-3513.