Professor D John Mangan
Professor of Marine Transport and Logistics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6719
- Address: School of Engineering
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
John Mangan joined Newcastle University in 2008 as Professor of Marine Transport and Logistics; he is also degree programme director for all postgraduate taught programmes in marine techology and director of Newcastle's input to the MTEC MSc programme. His textbook (Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management (3rd ed.), published by Wiley) has become one of the standard textbooks in the field. Before moving to Newcastle in 2008 John held the Peter Thompson Chair in Logistics at the University of Hull. Prior to this he held academic posts at University College Dublin and at the Irish Management Institute. A native of Cork in Ireland, John first worked as a freight clerk with Aer Lingus, as an analyst with the Irish airports authority, as a graduate trainee in the Irish Civil Service (in both the Marine and Treasury departments), as company secretary of a seaweed harvesting company, and then embarked upon an academic career. He has a doctorate in logistics from Cardiff University, masters degrees from both Cranfield and Lancaster Universities, and a bachelors degree in Science from University College Cork; in addition he has completed a Fulbright scholarship at Boston College and spent a sabbatical at the Centre for Transportation and Logistics at MIT. John is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (FCILT).
Marine Transport - port governance, port choice, port-centric logistics; container flows & transhipment.
Global logistics - landed costs; indices & connectivity; logistics & economic development.
Logistics & the environment - supply chain mapping & carbon footprinting; measurement of environmental impact.
I also have a keen research interest in management and skills development in logistics and transport, and in research philosophy and methodological triangulation.
As per the above Research Interests.
To date I have supervised or examined 26 PhDs.
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (FCILT).
Visiting faculty at Trinity College Dublin.
Member of the Research Coordination Committee of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT).
Currently external examiner at Cranfield University and at University College Cork.
Member of the editorial advisory boards of the International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, and the International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management.
Vice-Chair (2006/2007) of the High Level Expert Panel reviewing the EU’s COST programme (European Cooperation in Scientific and Technical Research).
Chaired, at the request of Ireland’s Minister for the Marine and Natural Resources, the Task Force on Transport Logistics in Relation to Ports (2002).
- Calatayud A, Mangan J, Palacin R. Connectivity to international markets: A multi-layered network approach. Journal of Transport Geography 2017, 61, 61-71.
- Calatayud A, Palacin R, Mangan J. Freight Connectivity to International Markets: a Complex Systems Approach. In: 96th annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board. 2017, Washington DC.
- Feng M, Yu W, Chavez R, Mangan J, Zhang X. Guanxi and operational performance: The mediating role of supply chain integration. Industrial Management & Data Systems 2017. In Press.
- Calatayud A, Mangan J, Palacin R. The impact of container line networks on port choice. In: Universities Transport Studies Group (UTSG). 2017, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- Mangan J, Lalwani C. Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management (3rd edition). John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2016.
- Rigot-Muller P, Mangan J, Gibbs D, Lalwani C. Measuring maritime transport carbon-footprint: a vessel rating approach. In: 21st International Symposium on Logistics (ISL 2016). 2016, Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
- Mangan J. To service global trade, today's ships and cargo are smarter than ever. Logistics and Transport Focus 2016, 18(2).
- Calatayud A, Palacin R, Mangan J, Jackson E, Ruiz-Rua A. Understanding connectivity to international markets: a systematic review. Transport Reviews 2016, 36(6), 713-736.
- Sweeney E, Grant D, Mangan J. The implementation of supply chain management theory in practice: an empirical investigation. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal 2015, 20(1), 56-70.
- Mangan J. To service global trade, today's ships and cargo are smarter than ever. 2015. Available at: http://www.theconversation.com/to-service-global-trade-todays-ships-and-cargo-are-smarter-than-ever-46032.
- Calatayud MA, Ruiz-Rua A, Palacin R, Mangan J, Jackson EL. A Novel Concept for Measuring Connectivity to International Markets applied to Transport in Selected Latin-American. In: 18th Pan-American Congress on Transport Engineering and logistics. 2014, Santander, Spain.
- Feng M, Mangan J, Wong C, Lalwani C, Xu M. Investigating Different Approaches to Importance-Performance Analysis. Service Industries Journal 2014, 34(12), 1021-1041.
- Gibbs D, Rigot-Muller P, Mangan J, Lalwani C. The role of sea ports in end-to-end maritime transport chain emissions. Energy Policy 2014, 64, 337-348.
- Shaw S, Grant D, Mangan J. Investigating green supply chain performance measures. In: Logistics Research Network conference. 2013, Aston, Birmingham.
- Rigot-Muller P, Lalwani C, Mangan J, Gregory O, Gibbs D. Optimizing end-to-end maritime supply chains: a carbon footprint perspective. International Journal of Logistics Management 2013, 24(3), 407-425.
- Karamperidis S, Jackson E, Mangan J. The use of indices in the maritime transport sector. Maritime Policy & Management 2013, 40(4), 339-350.
- Rigot-Muller P, Mangan J, Lalwani C, Dinwoodie J. Assessing emissions of UK international maritime traffic. In: Low Carbon Shipping Conference. 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Feng M, Lalwani C, Mangan J. Comparing port performance: Western European vs Eastern Asian ports. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management 2012, 42(5), 490-512.
- Mangan J, Lalwani C, Rigot-Muller P, Gibbs D, Dinwoodie J. Improving the environmental performance of maritime transport in global supply chains. In: 9th Rencontres Internationales de la Recherche en Logistique (RIRL). 2012, Montreal, Canada.
- Rigot-Muller P, Mangan J, Lalwani C, Dinwoodie J. Mapping UK international seaborne trade and traffic. In: Low Carbon Shipping Conference. 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Jackson EL, Karamperidis S, Mangan J. Perceptions of risk in the UK maritime container sector. In: 17th Annual Logistics Reseach Network Conference. 2012, Cranfield University.
- Mangan J, Lalwani C, Gibbs D, Feng M, Karamperdis S. The relationship between transport logistics, future ship design and whole system efficiency. In: Low Carbon Shipping Conference. 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Feng MY, Mangan DJ, Lalwani CS. A Comparison of Factors Influencing Port Performance Between The Humber Estuary and Xiamen Ports. In: Logistics Research Network (LRN). 2011, Southampton, UK.
- Mangan J. Global logistics and the maritime transport system. In: Kutz,M, ed. Handbook of Transportation Engineering: Volume 1 Systems and Operations. New York: McGraw Hill, 2011, pp.18.1-18.11.
- Dinwoodie J, Tuck S, Sanchez-Rodrigues V, Mangan J. Low carbon shipping: oil tanker movements involving the UK. In: International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME) conference 2011. 2011, Santiago de Chile: IAME 2011 Conference.
- Feng MY, Lalwani CS, Mangan DJ. Port Performance Comparison: Analysis of The Humber Estuary UK and Xiamen China. In: 25th British Academy of Management (BAM). 2011, Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
- Feng MY, Lalwani CS, Mangan DJ. Revisiting Importance-Performance Analysis: Factors Influencing Port Performance. In: International Logistics Symposium (ISL). 2011, Berlin, Germany.
- Karamperidis S, Mangan J, Jackson EL. Developing an index of maritime costs and connectivity for the UK. In: 15th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference. 2010, Harrogate, UK.
- Shaw S, Grant D, Mangan J. Developing environmental supply chain performance measures. Benchmarking: an International Journal 2010, 17(3), 320-339.
- Smith T, Bucknall R, Dinwoodie J, Gibbs D, Mangan D, Turan O. Low carbon shipping - A systems approach. In: Ship Design and Operation for Environmental Sustainability. 2010, London, UK: RINA.
- Xie Y, Bruce G, Mangan J. Role of professional reverse logistics in China's shipping sector and shipyards: a case study of shipyards in Zhejiang China. Logistics and Sustainable Transport 2010, 2(1), 3-15.
- Dinwoodie J, Tuck S, Landamore M, Mangan J. Slow steaming and low carbon shipping: revolution or recession?. In: 15th Annual Logistics Research Network Conference. 2010, Harrogate.
- Mangan J, Proctor A, Gibbs D. External influences on the Humber Estuary ports, the largest concentration of activity in the UK. In: Notteboom, T; Ducret, C; de Langen, P, ed. Ports in Proximity: Competition and Coordination among Adjacent Seaports. Surrey: Ashgate, 2009, pp.225-233.
- Mangan J, Lalwani C, Butcher T. Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management. New Jersey and Chichester: Wiley, 2008.
- Mangan J, Lalwani C, Fynes B. Port-centric logistics. International Journal of Logistics Management 2008, 19(1), 29-41.
- Feng MY, Lalwani CS, Mangan DJ. Supply Chain Excellence and Its Impact on the Regional Economy. In: North American Research and Teaching Symposium 19th Annual NARTS Conference. 2008, Tempe, Arizona.
- Fynes B, de Burca S, Mangan J. The effect of relationship characteristics on relationship quality and performance. International Journal of Production Economics 2008, 111(1), 56-69.
- McDermott E, Mangan DJ, O'Connor M. Graduate development programmes and satisfaction levels. Journal of European Industrial Training 2006, 30(6), 456-471.
- O'Connor M, Mangan DJ, Cullen J. Management development in Ireland: justifying the investment. Journal of Management Development 2006, 25(4), 325-349.
- Mangan D, Christopher M. Management development and the supply chain manager of the future. International Journal of Logistics Management 2005, 16(2), 178-191.
- Mangan DJ, Lalwani C, Gardner B. Combining quantitative and qualitative methodologies in logistics research. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management 2004, 34(7), 565-578.
- O'Connor M, Mangan J, Cullen J. IMI Handbook of Management. Cork, Ireland: Oak Tree Press, 2004.
- Cullen J, O'Connor M, Mangan J. Matching management tools and techniques with management challenges. Strategy & Leadership 2004, 32(3), 27-30.
- Mangan J, Lalwani C, Gardner B. Modelling port/ferry choice in RoRo freight transportation. International Journal of Transport Management 2002, 1(1), 15-28.
- Mangan J, Gregory O, Lalwani C. Education, training and the role of logistics managers in Ireland. International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications 2001, 4(3), 313-327.
- Mangan DJ, Lalwani CS, Gardner B. Identifying relevant variables and modelling the choice process in freight transportation. International Journal of Maritime Economics 2001, 3(3), 278-297.
- Hannigan K, Mangan DJ. The role of logistics and supply chain management in determining the competitiveness of a peripheral economy. Irish Marketing Review 2001, 14(1), 35-42.
- Mangan DJ, Cunningham J. Irish Ports: commercialisation and strategic change. Business Strategy Review 2000, 11(3), 51-60.
- Mangan DJ. Logistics and Transport in a Fast-Growing Economy. United Kingdom: Blackhall Publishing, 2000.
- Mangan and Furlong. Strategies for developing port administration in Ireland. Maritime Policy and Management 1998, 25, 349-360.