Dr Audrey Verma
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7496
- Personal Website: http://awedwee.wordpress.com
- Address: Sociology
Claremont Bridge Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an interdisciplinary social scientist, and my research interests cover many aspects of the digital and biosocial. Key areas include technological mediations between humans and wildlife, representations of nature in digital art and games, digitally-enabled knowledge production and participation/citizenship, digital afterlives, and digital discourses/practices of organisations. My current postdoc sees me conducting an ethnographic study of the Creative Fuse North East, focussed on knowledge and innovation production processes within the project (with Creative Fuse Co-PI, Dr Cathrine Degnen).
- 2016: PhD in Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen; affiliated with dot.rural RCUK Digital Economy Hub and The James Hutton Institute
- 2011: Master's in Sociology (M. Soc. Sci.), National University of Singapore
- 2007: Bachelor's (first class honours) in Sociology (B. Soc. Sci. Hons), National University of Singapore
- 2016: Visiting lecturer at ESCP Europe (Introduction to Psychology and Sociology, for the school’s inaugural Bachelor in Management degree program)
- 2016: Postdoc researcher, Citizen Sense project, Department of Sociology, Goldsmiths, University of London
- 2013: Research assistant for National Ecosystem Assessment (NEA) follow-on Work Package Report 6: Shared, plural and cultural values of ecosystems, led by Aberdeen Centre for Environmental Sustainability
- 2011: Research assistant to A/P Misha Petrovic, Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore
- 2010: Independent research contractor for the Department of Strategy, INSEAD Asia
- 2006-2007: Research assistant to A/P Volker Schmidt, Department of Sociology, National University of Singapore
- 2012 - 2016: University of Aberdeen scholarship to undertake PhD studentship
- 2008 - 2010: Research Scholarship to undertake Masters at the National University of Singapore
- 2008 -2009: President’s Graduate Fellowship, National University of Singapore
- 2007: Rosie Heng-Ko Poh Choo Gold Medal (best female student in the Department of Sociology in the Examination for the degree of Bachelor of Social Sciences with Honours, National University of Singapore
- 2006: Cambridge Scholarship (National University of Singapore)
- 2005: Max Lewis Scholarship (National University of Singapore)
- 2004: Shaw Foundation Scholarship (National University of Singapore)
- Malay (advanced spoken/written)
- Mandarin (intermediate spoken)
- Hindi (intermediate spoken)
- Arabic (beginner spoken/written)
- Verma A, Van der Wal R, Fischer A. New Technological Interventions in Conservation Conflicts: Countering Emotions and Contested Knowledge. Human Ecology 2017, e-pub ahead of print.
- Verma A, Van der Wal R, Fischer A. Imagining wildlife: New technologies and animal censuses, maps and museums. Geoforum 2016, 75, 75-86.
- Verma A, Van der Wal R, Fischer A. Microscope and spectacle: On the complexities of using new visual technologies to communicate about wildlife communication. Ambio 2015, 44(Suppl. 4), 648-660.
- Verma A. Black magic women: On the purported use of sorcery by female foreign domestic workers in Singapore. In: Bonavita, HV, ed. Negotiating Identities: Constructed Selves and Others. Amsterdam; New York: Rodopi Press, 2011, pp.25-50.