Dr Emily Rainsford
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: =44(0) 1912088824
I moved to England from Sweden in 2006 to study Politics and Philosophy at Shefffield University. After my undergraduate studies I was awarded an ESRC 1+3 PhD scholarship to do my PhD at Southampton University. I completed my thesis in 2014 and joined Newcastle University in August the same year.
During my time at Southampton I got involved in various projects on the side of my research. I contributed to both qualitative and quantitative research projects as a research assistant. I mainly contributed to the data collection and input of the UK team of Caught in the Act: Contextualising Contestation, which is also where I got my data collection methodology and some data for my thesis from. I also got involved in public engagement and outreach and initiated and organised two outreach events for local schools, as well as giving lectures for the Learn With US programme. I took time out during my PhD studies to work on the Active Citizenship in Europe project, and take up an ESRC funded internship in the Cabinet Office's Mutuals Team, especially in the secretariat for the Mutuals Taskforce.
BA Politics and Philosophy, University of Sheffield
MSc Citizenship and Democracy (research), University of Southampton
PhD Politics and International Relations, University of Southampton
Roles and responsibilities
Founding convenor of the PSA Young People's Politics specialist group.
CRN Visiting Fellow at Canberra University, Australia. Providing a youth perspective on the Murray Darling Futures project.
My research interests are youth political participation, activism and citizenship. My thesis focused on young people who were active in political parties youth factions, the British Youth Council and attended the 2010 Student demonstrations in London, so I have a particular interest in these organisations/outlets for participation for young people. I conducted a contextualised survey at these events to gather my data, inspired by the Caught in the Act: Contextualising Contestation project.
I am currently working as a researcher on the CUPESSE project investigating youth unemployment and social capital in Europe.
- Rainsford E. Exploring youth political activism in the United Kingdom: What makes young people politically active in different organisations?. British Journal of Politics and International Relations 2017, 19(4), Epub ahead of print.
- Rainsford E. Marco Giugni and Maria T. Grasso (eds.) Austerity and Protest: Popular Contention in Times of Economic Crisis [Book review]. Mobilization: An International Quarterly 2016, 21(2), 253-254.
- Ryan M, Saunders C, Rainsford E, Thompson E. Improving Research Methods Teaching and Learning in Politics and International Relations: A 'Reality Show' Approach. Politics 2014, 34(1), 85-97.
- Saunders C, Grasso M, Olcese C, Rainsford E, Rootes C. Explaining Differential Protest Participation: Novices, Returners, Repeaters, and Stalwarts. Mobilization: An International Quarterly 2012, 17(3), 263 - 280.
- Rainsford E, Randall N, Dobson A, Sidorzuk O. Evaluating Verto: Bite the Ballot's Youth Voter Advice App for the 2015 General Election. London: Bite the Ballot, 2016.
- Rainsford E. Young people and Political parties. London: Political Studies Association, 2014. Beyond the Youth Citizenship Comission: Young People and Politics.
- Rainsford E. Political parties need to better integrate young members and give them the chance to influence policy. Democratic Audit UK, 2014. Available at: http://www.democraticaudit.com/?p=6169.
- Rainsford E. Caught in the Act: Young Political Activists. 2017. Available at: https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/blog/caught-act-young-political-activists.
- Rainsford E. What happens when you give young scots the right to vote?. Sheffield: Crick Centre, The University of Sheffield, 2014. Available at: http://www.crickcentre.org/blog/happens-give-young-scots-right-vote/.
- Rainsford E, Ridley R. Youth Citizenship and Politics, Part 1: Trends in Europe and the UK. 2013. Available at: http://sotonpolitics.org/2013/03/27/youth-citizenship-and-politics-part-1-trends-in-europe-and-the-uk/.
- Rainsford E. Youth Citizenship and Politics, Part 2: So how different are young people?. 2013. Available at: http://sotonpolitics.org/2013/03/28/youth-citizenship-and-politics-part-2-so-how-different-are-young-people/.
- Rainsford E. THE ENGLAND RIOTS: THE FUZZY BOUNDARY BETWEEN THE REAL AND THE VIRTUAL WORLDS OF MOBILISATION. Society For International Development, 2012. Available at: http://www.sidint.net/content/england-riots-fuzzy-boundary-between-real-and-virtual-worlds-mobilisation.