Emeritus Professor John Goddard OBE
Professor of Regional Development Studies
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7732
- Address: Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS)
Newcastle upon Tyne
John Goddard is emeritus Professor of Regional Development Studies at Newcastle University UK. He was previously founding Director of the Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS), Dean of the Faculty of Law, Environment and Social Sciences and Deputy Vice-Chancellor with responsibility for the University’s links with the city and region, in particular the development of Newcastle as one of the UK’s six Science Cities. As DVC he also led the implementation of a major restructuring of the University and the installation of an institution wide management information system (SAP R3). He is currently leading a programme of policy orientated research on the role of universities in city and regional development linking academic work with his experience as a university manager. He is an advisor to various Directorates of the European Commission and the European Universities Association on the role of universities in 'smart specialisation', a council member of the Academy of Social Sciences and a board member of its Campaign for the Social Sciences, an executive board member for the Newcastle Business Improvement District (NE1), a member of the Newcastle Cathedral Council and a trustee of 'Together Newcastle' which focuses on the relief of poverty in the Diocese of Newcastle.
John’s academic background is in economic geography. He founded and led the University’s Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS) from 1977 to 1998 and directed numerous academic and policy research projects on the role of innovation in territorial development.
Within the UK John contributed to the Dearing Review of Higher Education through a Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals report on Universities and Communities and in subsequent work for the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and Universities UK (UUK) on the Regional Mission of Higher Education.
Internationally John has been academic leader of an OECD programme now published as Higher Education and Regions: Globally Competitive, Regionally Engaged (2007). He has also led several reviews of regional engagement by Finnish Universities sponsored by the Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council.
John was a lecturer at LSE from 1968 to 1975 prior to moving to Newcastle. He was awarded an OBE in 1986 and the Victoria Medal of the Royal Geographical Society in 1992 and elected a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2004.
- Goddard J, Kempton L, Vallance P. The civic university: connecting the global and the local. In: Roberta Capello, Agnieszka Olechnicka, Grzegorz Gorzelak, ed. Universities, Cities and Regions: Loci for Knowledge and Innovation Creation. Abingdon: Routledge, 2013, pp.43-63.
- Goddard J, Vallance P. The University and the City. Abingdon: Routledge, 2013.
- Goddard J, Kempton L, Vallance P. Universities and Smart Specialisation: challenges, tensions and opportunities for the innovation strategies of European regions. Ekonomiaz: revista vasca de economia 2013, (83), 83-102.
- Champion T, Goddard J. The containment of urban England. In: The Planning Imagination: Peter Hall and the Study of Urban and Regional Planning. 2012, London.
- Goddard J, Robertson D, Vallance P. Universities, Technology and Innovation Centres and regional development: the case of the North-East of England. Cambridge Journal of Economics 2012, 36(3), 609-627.
- Goddard J, Vallance P, Puukka J. Experience of Engagement between Universities and Cities: Drivers and Barriers in Three European Cities. Built Environment 2011, 37(3), 299-316.
- Goddard J, Vallance P. Universities and regional development. In: Pike, A., Rodriguez-Pose, A., Tomaney, J, ed. Handbook of Local and Regional Development. London, UK: Routledge, 2011, pp.425-437.
- Goddard J, Howlett L, Vallance P, Kennie T. Researching and Scoping a Higher Education and Civic Leadership Development Project: Final Report. London, UK: Leadership Foundation for Higher Education, 2010.
- Goddard JB, Puukka J. The engagement of higher education institutions in regional development: an overview of the opportunities and challenges. Higher Education Management and Policy 2008, 20(2), 3-33.
- Goddard JB, Vallance P. Newcastle University: higher education with a purpose. In: Mohrman, K.; Shi, J.; Feinblatt, S.; Chow, K.W, ed. Public universities and regional development. Chengdu: Sichuan University Press, 2008.
- Goddard JB. Higher education and regions: globally competitive, locally engaged. Paris: OECD, 2007.
- Goddard JB. Institutional Management and Engagement with the Knowledge Society. Higher Education Management and Policy 2005, 17(1), 23-44.
- Goddard JB. Territorial Reviews: Finland. Paris: OECD, 2005. OECD Territorial Reviews.
- Goddard JB, Ashein BT, Cronberg T, Virtanen I. Learning Regional Engagement: A Re-evaluation of the Third Role of Eastern Finland University. Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council (FINHEEC), Helsinki, 2003.
- Goddard JB, Teichler U, Virtanen I, West P, Puukka J. Progressing external engagement: A re-evaluation of the third role of the University of Turku. Edita Publishing Oy: Helsinki: Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council (FINHEEC), 2003. 16.
- Goddard JB, Chatterton P. Space, place and the virtual university: The virtual university in the university made concrete. In: Virtual University? Educational Environment of the Future. 2003, Wenner-Gren Centre, Stockholm: Portland Press: London.
- Goddard JB, Chatterton P. The response of universities to regional needs. In: Economic Geography of Higher Education: Knowledge Infrastructure and Learning Region. 2003, Tilburg University, Netherlands: Routledge: London.
- Goddard JB, Conford JC. Space, place and the virtual university: the virtual university is the university made concrete. In: van der Molen HJ, ed. Virtual university? Educational Environments of the Future. London: Portland Press, 2001, pp.131-140.
- Goddard JB, Moses I, Teichler U, Virtanen I, West P. External Engagement and Institutional Adjustment: An Evaluation of the University of Turku. Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council (FINHEEC), Helsinki, 2000.
- Chatterton P, Goddard JB. The response of higher education institutions to regional needs. European Journal of Education 2000, 35(4), 475-496.
- Goddard JB, Chatterton P. Regional Development Agencies and the knowledge economy: harnessing the potential of universities. Environment and Planning C: Government & Policy 1999, 17(6), 685-699.
- Goddard JB, Dahllof U, Huttenen J, OBrien C, Roman O, Virtanen I. Towards the Responsive University; The Regional Role of Eastern Finland Universities. Finnish Higher Education Evaluation Council (FINHEEC), Helsinki, 1998.
- Goddard JB. Towards an economic geography of universities. Svensk Geografisk Aarsbok 1998, 74, 81-88.
- Goddard JB, Chatterton P. The Response of Higher Education Institutions to Regional Needs. Paris: OECD, 1999. 50983 1999.
- Goddard JB. Managing the University/Regional Interface. Higher Education Management and Policy 1997, 9(3), 7-28.
- Goddard JB. Telecommunications and geography; Kellerman A. Progress in Human Geography 1995, 19(2), 302-303.
- Gillespie AE, Goddard JB, Hepworth M, Williams HP. Information and communications technology and regional development: an information economy perspective. Science, Technology, Industry Review 1989, 5, 85-111.
- Goddard JB, Gillespie AE. Advanced telecommunications and regional economic development. In: Robson BT, ed. Managing the City: The Aims and Impacts of Urban Policy. London: Croom Helm, 1987, pp.84-109.
- Goddard JB, Gillespie AE. Advanced telecommunications and regional economic development. The Geographical Journal 1986, 152(3), 383-397.
- Goddard JB, Gillespie AE, Thwaites AT, Robinson JF. The impact of new information technology on urban and regional structure in Europe. Land Development Studies 1986, 3(1), 11-32.
- Goddard JB, Gillespie AE, Robinson J, Thwaites AT. The impact of new information technology on urban and regional structure in Europe. In: Thwaites AT; Oakey RP, ed. The Regional Economic Impact of Technological Change. London: Frances Pinter, 1985, pp.215-242.
- Spence N, Gillespie AE, Goddard JB, Kennett S, Williams A. British Cities: An Analysis of Urban Change. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1982.
- Coombes MG, Dixon JS, Goddard JB, Openshaw S, Taylor PJ. Daily urban systems in Britain: From theory to practice. Environment and Planning A 1979, 11(5), 565-574.
- Coombes MG, Dixon JS, Goddard JB, Openshaw S, Taylor PJ. Towards a more rational consideration of census areal units: Daily urban systems in Britain. Environment and Planning A 1978, 10(10), 1179-1185.
- Tewdwr-Jones M, Goddard J, Cowie P. Newcastle City Futures 2065: Anchoring Universities in Cities through Urban Foresight. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University, 2015.
- Tewdwr-Jones M, Goddard JB. A future for cities? Building new methodologies and systems for urban foresight. Town Planning Review 2014, 85(6), 773-794.
- Upton S, Vallance P, Goddard J. From outcomes to process: evidence for a new approach to research impact assessment. Research Evaluation 2014, 23(4), 352-365.
- Healy A, Perkman M, Goddard J, Kempton L. Measuring the Impact of University-Business Cooperation: Final Report. Brussels: Directorate General for Education and Culture, European Commission, 2014.
- Kempton L, Goddard J, Edwards J, Hegyi FB, Elena-Pérez S. Universities and Smart Specialisation. Seville: Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre, 2014. JRC Technical Reports; S3 Policy Brief Series JRC85508.
- Goddard J, Coombes M, Kempton L, Vallance P. Universities as anchor institutions in cities in a turbulent funding environment: vulnerable institutions and vulnerable places in England. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 2014, 7(2), 307-325.
- Goddard J, Kempton L, Marlow D. LEPs, Universities and Europe – Opportunities and challenges for supporting sub-national innovation in England. In: Ward, M ; Hardy, S, ed. Where next for Local Enterprise Partnerships?. London: Smith Institute, 2013.
- Goddard J, Kempton L. Connecting Universities to Regional Growth:A Practical Guide. Brussels: European Commission, 2011.