Dr Kathryn Manzo
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6454
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5421
- Address: Room: 3.69
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Senior tutor, Geography (from September 2016)
Kate Manzo is a lecturer in international development. Her research interests are in the politics of development in Africa. She has written about development theory and the political effects of development in practice. She has also examined the political implications of attitudes towards 'national' development in South Africa, Australia and Britain. Her current research focuses on the relationship between football and development in Africa; on the relationship between climate change and development; and on images of Africa in western media.
GEO1010: Interconnected World
GEO2103: Globalisation, Culture and Development
GEO3106: Producing Africa: Globalisation and Representation (Module leader)
GEO8017: Concepts in Action
GEO8016: Philosophies in Geography
- Manzo K. The usefulness of climate change films. Geoforum 2017, 84, 88-94.
- Manzo K, Padfield R. Palm Oil Not Polar Bears: Climate Change and Development in Malaysian Media. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 2016, 41(4), 460-476.
- Manzo KA. Development through football in Africa: Neoliberal and postcolonial models of community development. Geoforum 2012, 43(3), 551-560.
- Manzo K. Earthworks: The geopolitical visions of climate change cartoons. Political Geography 2012, 31(8), 481-494.
- Manzo K. Visualising Modernity: Development Hopes and the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Soccer and Society 2012, 13(2), 173-187.
- Manzo KA. Beyond Polar Bears? Re-envisioning climate change. Meteorological Applications 2010, 17(2), 196-208.
- Manzo K. Imaging vulnerability: the iconography of climate change. Area 2010, 42(1), 96-107.
- Manzo KA. Imaging Humanitarianism: NGO Identity and the Iconography of Childhood. Antipode 2008, 40(4), 632-657.
- Manzo KA. "Learning to Kick: African Soccer Schools as Carriers of Development". Impumelelo: The Interdisciplinary Electronic Journal of African Sports 2007, 2, 1-13.
- Manzo KA. "An Extension of Colonialism? Development Education, Images and the Media". The Development Education Journal 2006, 12(2), 9-12.
- Manzo K. Exploiting West Africa's children: Trafficking, slavery and uneven development. Area 2005, 37(4), 393-401.
- Manzo K. Modern slavery, global capitalism & deproletarianisation in West Africa. Review of African Political Economy 2005, 32(106), 521-534.
- Manzo K. Africa in the rise of rights-based development. Geoforum 2003, 34(4), 437-456.
- Manzo KA. Am I an ex-slave?: African political theory and the politics of representation. Theory & Event: an online journal of political theory 2003, 7(1).
- Karvounis A, Manzo K, Gray TS. Playing mother: Narratives of Britishness in New Labour attitudes toward Europe. Journal of Political Ideologies 2003, 8(3), 311-325.
- Manzo K. Nongovernmental organizations and models of development in India. Journal of Environment and Development 2000, 9(3), 284-313.
- Manzo KA. The 'New' Developmentalism: Political Liberalism and the Washington Consensus. In: Slater D; Taylor PJ, ed. The American Century: Consensus and Coercion in the Projection of American Power. Oxford: Blackwell, 1999, pp.98-114.
- Manzo KA. Creating Boundaries: The Politics of Race and Nation. Boulder, Co; London: Lynne Rienner, 1998.