Dr Nick Randall
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6997
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5069
- Address: Room W1.26
40-42 Great North Road
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
B.A. Hons Politics and Parliamentary Studies, University of Leeds, Class I
M.A. Politics, University of Essex, Distinction
PhD, University of Manchester
Major Administrative Roles and Responsibilities
2013-2016 Open Day and Visit Day Co-ordinator
2012-2015 Head of Politics
2011- Lay Member, Examination Sub-Committee, MBBS programme
2011-2014 Chair, University VLE Steering Group. Member 2014-
2011-2014 Member, E-Learning and Student Information Sub-Committee
2012 Member, Task and Finish Group on Systems to Support Learning, Teaching and Student Experience
2010-2012 School of Geography, Politics and Sociology Undergraduate Director
2007-2012 Member, E-Assessment and Feedback Steering Group
2006-2008 School of Geography, Politics and Sociology Undergraduate Director
2005-2010 Member, UTLC Working Group on Assessment
2005-2008 Undergraduate Director, Politics
2002-2005 Politics Open Day and Visit Day Co-ordinator
2002-2005 Politics Masterclasses and Partners Co-ordinator
2002-2005 Admissions Officer (Politics, Politics and Economics, Government and European Union Studies)
The politics of the British Labour and Conservative Parties; political ideologies in the UK; the territorial politics of the UK; the impact of European integration upon UK politics; the role of ideational and discursive factors in politics.
I currently co-supervise:
Radzhana Buyantueva, 'Gay Rights Protests in Russia'
Tom Caygill, 'A critical analysis of the extent and effectiveness of post-legislative scrutiny in the UK Parliament' (ESRC funded)
Leigh Ingham, 'Fourth Wave Feminist Activism: A New Modus Operandi and New Modes of Contentious Politics?' (ESRC funded)
Craig Johnson, 'Co-operation or competition? Incentives and obstacles to co-operation between British centre-left parties in an era of hung parliaments' (ESRC Funded)
Stephen King, 'The Ministerial Career of Tony Crosland, 1964-1977'
Tristan Martin, 'The British Conservative Party and European Policy since 1997: A Historical Institutionalist Perspective'
Anna Wambach, 'Representing Europe: The Character of EU Coverage in British News Media'
I have co-supervised four PhD students to completion:
Celine Fitzmaurice, 'Interpreting Europe: Conservative and Labour Beliefs, 1945-75' (Completed 2007, ESRC Funded)
Andrew Clifton, 'Engendering Multi-Level Governance' (Completed 2009, ESRC Funded)
Judy Murray, 'Absent Voting, the Help America to Vote Act of 2002 and the American Overseas Voter: An Analysis of Policy Effectiveness and Political Participation' (Completed 2012)
Melinda Sutton, 'The Parliamentary Labour Party and Northern Ireland, 1969-2007' (Completed 2014, AHRC Funded)
I lead and teach POL3090 The Rise and Fall of New Labour
I also teach on POL1047 Power, Participation and Democracy
- Byrne C, Randall N, Theakston K. Evaluating British prime ministerial performance: David Cameron’s Premiership in political time. British Journal of Politics and International Relations 2017, 19(1), 202-220.
- Randall N, Seawright D. Territorial Politics. In: Heppell, T., Seawright, D, ed. Cameron and the Conservatives. The Transition to Coalition Government. Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, pp.105-120.
- Randall N. Imagining the Polity: Cinema and Television Fictions as Vernacular Theories of British Politics. Parliamentary Affairs 2011, 64(2), 263-280.
- Randall NJ, Sloam J. New Labour, the third way and social democracy: An ideological assessment. In: Casey T, ed. The Blair legacy: politics, policy, governance and foreign affairs. Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009, pp.94-108.
- Randall NJ. No friends in the North? The Conservative Party in Northern England. Political Quarterly 2009, 80(2), 184-192.
- Randall NJ. Time and British politics: Memory, the present and teleology in the politics of New Labour. British Politics 2009, 4(2), 188-216.
- Baker D, Gamble A, Randall NJ, Seawright D. Euroscepticism in the British party system: 'A source of fascination, perplexity, and sometimes frustration'. In: Szczerbiak, A. and Taggart, P, ed. Opposing Europe?: The Comparative Party Politics of Euroscepticism. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008, pp.93-116.
- Randall NJ. Three faces of New Labour: principle, pragmatism and populism in New Labour's Home Office. In: Ludlam, S and Smith, MJ, ed. Governing as New Labour: policy and politics under Blair. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004, pp.177-192.
- Randall NJ. Understanding Labour's ideological trajectory. In: Callaghan, J.; Fielding, S.; Ludlam, S, ed. Interpreting the Labour Party: Approaches to Labour politics and history. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2003, pp.8-22.
- Baker D, Gamble A, Randall NJ, Seawright D. Cast from the same pro-European mould? The attitudes of Labour members of the House of Commons, Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly towards Europe. Politique Européenne 2002, 6(1), 90-113.
- Baker D, Randall NJ, Seawright D. Celtic exceptionalism? Scottish and Welsh parliamentarians' attitudes to Europe. Political Quarterly 2002, 73(2), 211-226.
- Randall NJ. New Labour and Northern Ireland. In: Coates, D.; Lawler, P.J, ed. New Labour in power. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000, pp.92-107.
- Randall N. Dissent in the Parliamentary Labour Party, 1945-2015. In: Emmanuelle Avril Yann Beliard, ed. Labour United and Divided from the 1830s to the Present. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2018. In Press.
- Rainsford E, Randall N, Dobson A, Sidorzuk O. Evaluating Verto: Bite the Ballot's youth voter advice app for the 2015 General Election. London: Bite the Ballot, 2016.