Dr Francesco Carrer
BackgroundI received a bachelor’s degree in Archaeology from the University of Padova in 2004. I obtained a master’s degree at the same University in 2007, with a thesis on prehistoric and protohistoric archaeology. I then moved to the University of Trento in 2008 for my PhD in the Department of Humanities. Here, my research project addressed the issue of the integration of ethnoarchaeological interpretation and spatial analysis in the study the pastoral landscapes in the eastern Alps (Trentino province, Italy). Between June 2012 and May 2013 I was Post-doctoral research fellow at the Department of Humanities of the University of Trento, with a project focused on the archaeological survey and spatial analysis of prehistoric and historical sites in the uplands of San Vito di Cadore (Veneto region, eastern Alps, Italy). In June 2013 I was Marie Curie research fellow at the Department of Archaeology of the University of York. My research project aimed to investigate how the herders of western Alps shape their seasonal landscapes in the uplands of Western Italian and French Alps.
My research interests are in landscape archaeology and ethnoarchaeology, mountain archaeology and spatial analysis. I am specifically interested in seasonal pastoralism, from an ethnographic and an archaeological perspective, and in the use of GIS applications for the analysis of upland alpine landscapes.
Total Archaeology Project (2013 - ongoing)
Research area: Cadore (Belluno province, Italy)
Co-coordinators: Dr. F. Cavulli & Prof. A. Pedrotti (Department of Humanities, University of Trento - Italy), Dr. F. Fontana & D. Visentin (Department of Humanities, University of Ferrara - Italy)
EthWAL - Ethnoarchaeology of Western Alpine upland Landscapes (2013-2015)
Research area: Monregalese (Cuneo province, Italy), Parc National des Ecrins (Dept. des Hautes-Alpes, France)
Co-coordinator: Dr. K. Walsh (Department of Archaeology, University of York - UK)
ALPES - Alpine Landscapes, Pastoralism and Environment in val di Sole (2010 - ongoing)
Research area: Val di Sole (Trentino province, Italy)
Co-coordinator: Prof. D.E. Angelucci (Department of Humanities, University of Trento - Italy)
Verifying the first evidence of dairy farming in the alpine region (2014-2015)
Research area: Engadin (Grisons canton, Switzerland)
Coordinators: Dr. T. Reitmaier (Grisons Archaeological Office, Switzerland), Dr. O. Craig (BioArch, Department of Archaeology, University of York - Italy)
"Le Vette" project (2014-2015)
Research area: National Dolomiti Park (Belluno province, Italy)
Coordinators: Dr. F. Cavulli & Prof. A. Pedrotti (Department of Humanities, University of Trento - Italy), G. Fogliata (ARCA - Italy), P. Cesco Frare
Investigating human evidence in the uplands of San Vito di Cadore - Italy (2012-2013)
Research area: San Vito di Cadore (Belluno province, Italy)
Coordinators: Prof. A. Pedrotti (Department of Humanities, University of Trento - Italy)
APSAT - Ambiente e Paesaggi dei Siti d'Altura Trentini (2008-2012)
Research area: Trentino province, Italy
Director: Prof. G.P. Brogiolo (Department of Archaeology, University of Padova - Italy)
- Carrer F. Herding Strategies, Dairy Economy and Seasonal Sites in the Southern Alps: Ethnoarchaeological Inferences and Archaeological Implications. Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 2015, 28(1), 3-22.
- Carrer F. Interpreting intra-site spatial patterns in seasonal contexts: an ethnoarchaeological case-study from the Western Alps. Journal of Archaeological Method and Theory 2015, ePub ahead of Print.
- Visentin D, Carrer F, Fontana F, Cavulli F, CescoFrare P, Mondini C, Pedrotti A. Prehistoric landscapes of the Dolomites. Survey data from the Cadore territory (Belluno Dolomites, Northern Italy). Quaternary International 2015, 402, 5-14.
- Carrer F. Secondary products exploitation: preliminary ethnoarchaeological insights from alpine cases study. In: Biagetti, S; Lugli, F, ed. The Intangible Elements of Culture in Ethnoarchaeological Research. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 2016, pp.115-124.
- Carrer F. The “Invisible” Shepherd and the “Visible” Dairyman: Ethnoarchaeology of Alpine Pastoral Sites in the Val di Fiemme (Eastern Italian Alps). In: Pearce, M; Nicolis, F; Collins, JR, ed. Summer Farms: Seasonal exploitation of the Uplands from Prehistory to the Present. Equinox, 2015.
- Visentin D, Fontana F, Cavulli F, Carrer F, Cesco Frare P, Mondini C, Pedrotti A. The “Total Archaeology Project” and the Mesolithic occupation of the highland district of San Vito di Cadore (Belluno, N-E Italy). Preistoria Alpina 2016, 48, 63-68.
- Angelucci D, Carrer F, Cavulli F. Shaping a periglacial land into a pastoral landscape: a case study from Val di Sole (Trento, Italy). European Journal of Post-Classical Archaeologies 2014, 4, 157-180.
- Carrer F. An ethnoarchaeological inductive model for predicting archaeological site location: A case-study of pastoral settlement patterns in the Val di Fiemme and Val di Sole (Trentino, Italian Alps). Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 2013, 32(1), 54-62.
- Carrer F, Angelucci DE. First Archaeological Data from an Alpine Pastoral Enclosure at Val Poré (Val di Sole, Trentino, Italy). Debates de Arqueología Medieval 2013, 3, 149-166.
- Lancelotti C, Negre Perez J, Alcaina-Mateos J, Carrer F. Intra-site Spatial Analysis in Ethnoarchaeology. Environmental Archaeology 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Colonese AC, Hendy J, Lucquin A, Speller CF, Collins MJ, Carrer F, Gubler R, Kuhn M, Fischer R, Craig OE. New criteria for the molecular identification of cereal grains associated with archaeological artefacts. Scientific Reports 2017, 7(1), 6633.
- Carrer F, Colonese AC, Lucquin A, Petersen Guedes E, Thompson A, Walsh K, Reitmaier T, Craig OE. Chemical Analysis of Pottery Demonstrates Prehistoric Origin for High-Altitude Alpine Dairying. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(4), e0151442.
- Lutterotti L, Dell'Amore F, Angelucci DE, Carrer F, Gialanella S. Combined X-ray diffraction and fluorescence analysis in the cultural heritage field. Microchemical Journal 2016, 126, 423-430.
- Carrer F. Archeologia della pastorizia nelle Alpi: nuovi dati e vecchi dubbi. Preistoria Alpina 2013, 47, 49-56.
- Carrer F, Cavulli F. Distanze euclidee e superfici di costo in ambiente montano: applicazione di Grass e R a diversa scala in ambito trentino. In: ARCHEOFOSS. Open Source, Free Software e Open Format nei processi di ricerca archeologica. Atti del VI Workshop. 2012, Napoli: Naus Editoria.
- Carrer F. Upland sites and pastoral landscapes. New perspectives into the archaeology of pastoralism in the Alps. In: Brogiolo, GP; Angelucci, DE; Colecchia, A; Remondino, F, ed. APSAT 1. Teoria e metodi della ricerca sui paesaggi d'altura. Mantova: SAP, 2012, pp.101-116.
- Carrer F, Tanzarella A. Il paesaggio alpino di confine dalle fonti cartografiche storiche ai Sistemi Informativi Geografici: il caso studio del Contado di Arco (TN). Bollettino AIC 2010, 139-140, 45-62.