Delivering outstanding impact is one of our school's core objectives. Examples of Research Impact include, but are not limited to, effects on:
- health and welfare
- the environment
- international development
Almost all of the impact-focused research we submitted to the REF2014 was classified as world-leading or internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
Our impact-focused projects include:
- using image recognition software to semi-automate surveys of ecological reserves
- spatial rainfall-runoff modelling for permeable pavement infrastructure
- space-time statistical models for wind field
- forecasting with high performance computing
- better defect sizing to improve targeted planned
- maintenance to reduce pipe leakage
- online monitoring of water consumption by pigs
- forecasting of demand in the gas distribution industry
- development of software tools for road safety hotspot identification and evaluation
- processing of medical ultrasound images
- automatic assessment of upper limb function after stroke
- improved estimation of extreme weather return levels through Bayesian hierarchical modelling
Case studies which demonstrate the impact of our research can be found on the Newcastle University Research website.
For further details about our school research impact activity please email Matthew Linsley.