Professor John Matthews
Professor of Medical Statistics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7259
- Address: School of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Deputy Head of School
Teaching and Curriculum Co-ordinator for Statistics
President, British & Irish Region of the International Biometric Society
Clinical Trials, especially Crossover Trials
Bayesian Design in Medicine, especially for Bioassays
Methods for estimating cerebral blood flow using the Kety-Schmidt technique
- Matthews JNS. Anticoagulation in Haemodialysis in Children: A Thirty-Period Crossover Trial. In: Aston, PJ; Mulholland, AJ; Tant, KMM, ed. UK Success Stories in Industrial Mathematics. Springer, 2016, pp.243-249.
- Bradley J, Simpson E, Poliakov I, Matthew JNS, Olivier P, Adamson AJ, Foster E. Comparison of INTAKE24 (an Online 24-h Dietary Recall Tool) with Interviewer-Led 24-h Recall in 11–24 Year-Old. Nutrition 2016, 8(6), 358-358.
- Matthews JNS. Should we play on your lawn or mine?. Mathematical Gazette 2016, 100(547), 24-33.
- Spence S, White M, Adamson AJ, Matthews JNS. Does the use of passive or active consent affect consent or completion rates, or dietary data quality? Repeat cross-sectional survey among school children aged 11–12 years. BMJ Open 2015, 5, e006457.
- Matthews JNS, Badi NH. Inconsistent treatment estimates from mis-specified logistic regression analyses of randomized trials. Statistics in Medicine 2015, 34(19), 2681-2694.
- Elgmati E, Fiaccone R, Henderson R, Matthews JNS. Penalised logistic regression and dynamic prediction for discrete time recurrent event data. Lifetime Data Analysis 2015, 21(4), 542-560.
- Spence S, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. A repeat cross-sectional study examining the equitable impact of nutritional standards for school lunches in England in 2008 on the diets of 4-7y olds across the socio-economic spectrum. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2014, 11, 128.
- Matthews JNS. An optimal multi-period crossover design for an application in paediatric nephrology. Statistics in Medicine 2014, 33(5), 857-866.
- Celis-Morales C, Livingstone KM, Marsaux CF, Forster H, O'Donovan CB, Macready AL, Fallaize R, Navas-Carretero S, San-Cristobal R, Kolossa S, Hartwig K, Tsirigoti L, Lambrinou CP, Moschonis G, Godlewska M, Surwillo A, Grimaldi K, Bouwman J, Daly EJ, Akujobi V, O'Riordan R, Hoonhout J, Claassen A, Hoeller U, Gundersen TE, Kaland SE, Matthews JNS, Manios Y, Traczyk I, Drevon CA, Gibney ER, Brennan L, Walsh MC, Lovegrove JA, Alfredo Martinez J, Saris WHM, Daniel H, Gibney M, Mathers JC. Design and baseline characteristics of the Food4Me study: a web-based randomised controlled trial of personalised nutrition in seven European countries. Genes & Nutrition 2014, 10(450), 1-13.
- Spence S, Delve J, Stamp E, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. Did School Food and Nutrient-Based Standards in England Impact on 11–12Y Olds Nutrient Intake at Lunchtime and in Total Diet? Repeat Cross-Sectional Study. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(11), e112648.
- Coulthard MG, Lambert HJ, Vernon SJ, Hunter EW, Keir MJ, Matthews JNS. Does prompt treatment of urinary tract infection in preschool children prevent renal scarring: mixed retrospective and prospective audits. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2014, 99(4), 342-347.
- Matthews JNS, Henderson R, Farewell DM, Ho W-K, Rodgers LR. Dropout in crossover and longitudinal studies: is complete case so bad?. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2014, 23(1), 60-73.
- Coulthard MG, Crosier J, Griffiths C, Smith J, Drinnan M, Whitaker M, Beckwith R, Matthews JNS, Flecknell P, Lambert HJ. Haemodialysing babies weighing <8 kg with the Newcastle infant dialysis and ultrafiltration system (Nidus): comparison with peritoneal and conventional haemodialysis. Pediatric Nephrology 2014, 29(10), 1873-1881.
- Spence S, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. Did legislation to regulate school meals in England widen dietary inequalities in children aged 4-7 years? A repeat cross-sectional study. In: Public Health Science: a national conference dedicated to new research in public health. 2013, London, UK: The Lancet Publishing Group.
- Spence S, Delve J, Stamp E, Matthews JNS, White M, Adamson AJ. The Impact of Food and Nutrient-Based Standards on Primary School Children's Lunch and Total Dietary Intake: A Natural Experimental Evaluation of Government Policy in England. PLoS One 2013, 8(10), e78298.
- Matthews JNS, Henderson R. Two-period, two-treatment crossover designs subject to non-ignorable missing data. Biostatistics 2013, 14(4), 626-638.
- Ho WK, Matthews JNS, Henderson R, Farewell D, Rodgers LR. Dropouts in the AB/BA crossover design. Statistics in Medicine 2012, 31(16), 1675-1687.
- Matthews JNS, Philipson PM. Optimal designs for threshold-determining limiting dilution assays. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 2012, 142(6), 1388-1395.
- Craigie AM, Matthews JNS, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Lake AA, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Raised adolescent body mass index predicts the development of adiposity and a central distribution of body fat in adulthood: a longitudinal study. Obesity Facts 2009, 2(3), 150-156.
- Foster E, Matthews JNS, Lloyd J, Marshall L, Mathers JC, Nelson M, Barton KL, Wrieden WL, Cornelissen P, Harris J, Adamson AJ. Children's estimates of food portion size: The development and evaluation of three portion size assessment tools for use with children. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(1), 175-184.
- Foster E, O'Keeffe M, Matthews JNS, Mathers JC, Nelson M, Barton KL, Wrieden WL, Adamson AJ. Children's estimates of food portion size: The effect of timing of dietary interview on the accuracy of children's portion size estimates. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(1), 185-190.
- Frank B, Serpell MG, Hughes J, Matthews JNS, Kapur D. Comparison of analgesic effects and patient tolerability of nabilone and dihydrocodeine for chronic neuropathic pain: randomised, crossover, double blind study. British Medical Journal 2008, 336(7637), 199-201.
- Kirke SM, Lowder S, Lloyd JJ, Diffey BL, Matthews JNS, Farr PM. A randomized comparison of selective broadband UVB and narrowband UVB in the treatment of psoriasis. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2007, 127(7), 1641-1646.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Matthews JNS, Hackett AF, Moynihan PJ, Kelly SAM, Adams JM, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes in consumption of sugars by English adolescents over 20 years. Public Health Nutrition 2007, 10(4), 354-363.
- Gittins NS, Hunter-Blair YL, Matthews JNS, Coulthard MG. Comparison of alteplase and heparin in maintaining the patency of paediatric central venous haemodialysis lines: A randomised controlled trial. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2007, 92(6), 499-501.
- Johnson MI, Merrilees D, Robson WA, Lennon T, Masters J, Orr KE, Matthews JNS, Neal DE. Oral ciprofloxacin or trimethoprim reduces bacteriuria after flexible cystoscopy. BJU International 2007, 100(4), 826-829.
- Berrington JE, Fenton AC, Cant AJ, Spickett GP, O'Keeffe M, Matthews JNS. Reduced anti-PRP antibody response to Hib immunisation in preterm (<32 weeks) UK infants who received inactivated polio (eIPV). Vaccine 2007, 25(49), 8206-8208.
- Gray ND, Matthews JNS, Head IM. A stable isotope titration method to determine the contribution of acetate disproportionation and carbon dioxide reduction to methanogenesis. Journal of Microbiological Methods 2006, 65(1), 180-186.
- Foster E, Matthews JNS, Nelson M, Harris JM, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Accuracy of estimates of food portion size using food photographs - The importance of using age-appropriate tools. Public Health Nutrition 2006, 9(4), 509-514.
- Berrington JE, Cant AJ, Matthews JNS, O'Keeffe M, Spickett GP, Fenton AC. Haemophilus influenzae type b immunization in infants in the United Kingdom: Effects of diphtheria/tetanus/acellular pertussis/Hib combination vaccine, significant prematurity, and a fourth dose. Pediatrics 2006, 117(4), e717-e724.
- Loughead JM, Starks I, Chesney D, Matthews JNS, McCaskie AW, Holland JP. Removal of acetabular bone in resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - Series B 2006, 88(1), 31-34.
- Loughead JM, Starks I, Chesney D, Matthews JNS, McCaskie AW, Holland JP. Removal of acetabular bone in resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip - A comparison with hybrid total hip arthroplasty. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery: British Volume 2006, 88B(1), 31-34.
- Douglas SA, Webster S, El Badawey MR, Drinnan M, Matthews JNS, Gibson GJ, Wilson JA. The development of a snoring symptoms inventory. Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 2006, 134(1), 56-62.
- Plant ND, Hornung RJ, Coulthard MG, Keir MJ, Matthews JNS, Robson SC. Does antenatal pelvic dilation predict renal scarring?. Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition 2005, 90(4), F339-F340.
- Matthews JNS, James PW. Use of Optimal Design in the Measurement of Cerebral Blood Flow Using the Kety-Schmidt Technique. In: Berger, M.P.F., Wong, W.K, ed. Applied Optimal Designs. Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2005, pp.197-218.
- Bateman DN, McElhatton PR, Dickinson D, Wren C, Matthews JNS, O'Keeffe M, Thomas SHL. A case control study to examine the pharmacological factors underlying ventricular septal defects in the North of England. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2004, 60(9), 635-641.
- Fletcher ES, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Matthews JNS, Hackett A, Moynihan PJ, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes over 20 years in macronutrient intake and body mass index in 11- to 12-year-old adolescents living in Northumberland. British Journal of Nutrition 2004, 92(2), 321-333.
- Fenton AC, Berrington JE, Spickett GP, Cant AJ, O'Keeffe M, Matthews JN. Haemaphilus influenzaeType b (Hib) antibody response following pragmatic UK immunisation with mixed regimes of acellular and/or whole cell DTPHib combination vaccines. In: Annual Meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies. 2004, San Francisco, CA: Pediatric Research: International Pediatric Research Foundation.
- Wallis JP, Wells AW, Matthews JN, Chapman CE. Long-term survival after blood transfusion: a population based study in the North of England. Transfusion 2004, 44(7), 1025-1032.
- Matthews JNS, Allock GC. Optimal designs for Michaelis-Menten kinetic studies. Statistics in Medicine 2004, 23(3), 477-491.
- Thomson PJ, Fletcher IR, Matthews JNS, Hayward CB, Briggs S. Pain relief following oral day case surgery: A pilot study. Ambulatory Surgery 2004, 10(4), 217-221.
- Chinnery PF, DiMauro S, Shanske S, Schon EA, Zeviani M, Mariotti C, Carrara F, Lombes A, Laforet P, Ogier H, Jaksch M, Lochmuller H, Horvath R, Deschauer M, Thorburn DR, Bindoff LA, Poulton J, Taylor RW, Matthews JNS, Turnbull DM. Risk of developing a mitochondrial DNA deletion disorder. Lancet 2004, 364(9434), 592-596.
- Waldron MNH, Matthews JNS, Johnson IJM. The effect of otitis media with effusions on balance in children. Clinical Otolaryngology and Allied Sciences 2004, 29(4), 318-320.
- Chinnery P, DiMauro S, Zeviani M, Lombes A, Lochmuller H, Thorburn D, Bindoff LA, Poulton J, Deschauer M, Taylor RW, Matthews JNS, Turnbull DM. The risk of developing a mitochondrial DNA deletion disorder. In: Journal of Medical Genetics: British Human Genetics Conference. 2004, York, UK: BMJ Group.
- Coulthard MG, Vernon SJ, Lambert HJ, Matthews JNS. A nurse led education and direct access service for the management of urinary tract infections in children: Prospective controlled trial. British Medical Journal 2003, 327(7416), 656-659.
- Lewis SC, Langman MJS, Laporte JR, Matthews JNS, Rawlins MD, Wiholm BE. Dose-response relationships between individual nonaspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NANSAIDs) and serious upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysis based on individual patient data. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2002, 54(3), 320-326.
- Matthews JNS. Methods for the Analysis and Design of Limiting Dilution Assays. Developmental Biology 2002, 107, 87-94.
- Armitage P, Berry G, Matthews JNS. Statistical Methods in Medical Research. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2002.
- Bayly PJM, Matthews JNS, Dobson PM, Price ML, Thomas DG. In-hospital mortality from abdominal aortic surgery in Great Britain and Ireland: Vascular Anaesthesia Society audit. British Journal of Surgery 2001, 88(5), 687-692.
- N'Dow, J., Robson, C. N., Matthews, J. N. S., Neal, D. E., Pearson, J. P. Reducing mucus production after urinary reconstruction: A prospective randomized trial. Journal of Urology 2001, 165(5), 1433-1440.
- Healy E, Flannagan N, Ray A, Todd C, Jackson IJ, Matthews JNS, Birch-Machin MA, Rees JL. Melanocortin-1-receptor gene and sun sensitivity in individuals without red hair. Lancet 2000, 355(9209), 1072-1073.
- Ainsworth SB, Beresford MW, Milligan DWA, Shaw NJ, Matthews JNS, Fenton AC, Ward Platt MP. Pumactant and poractant alfa for treatment of respiratory distress syndrome in neonates born at 25-29 weeks' gestation: A randomised trial. Lancet 2000, 355(9213), 1387-1392.
- Keegan, P., Matthews, J.N.S., Lunec, J., Neal, D.E. Statistical problems with 'optimal' thresholds in studies of new prognostic factors in urology. BJU International 2000, 85(4), 392-397.
- Fanibunda K, Matthews JNS. The relationship between accessory foramina and tumour spread on the medial mandibular surface. Journal of Anatomy 2000, 196(1), 23-29.
- Matthews JNS. Effect of prior specification on Bayesian design for two-sample comparison of a binary outcome. American Statistician 1999, 53(3), 254-256.
- Matthews JNS. Sponsored trials do not necessarily give more-favourable results. British Medical Journal 1999, 318(7200), 1762-1762.
- Matthews JNS, Matthews DSF, Eyre JA. Statistical method for the estimation of cerebral blood flow using the Kety-Schmidt technique. Clinical Science 1999, 97(4), 485-492.
- Matthews JNS. Alternative criteria for optimal designs of limiting dilution assays. Statistics in Medicine 1998, 17, 2733-2746.
- Matthews JNS, Mehrabi Y. Implementable Bayesian designs for limiting dilution assays. Biometrics 1998, 54, 1398-1406.