Dr Roy Sanderson
Lecturer in Biological Modelling
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3044
- Personal Website: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=z6jaMRcAAAAJ&hl=en
- Address: Biological, Clinical & Environmental Systems Modelling Group
School of Natural & Environmental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
My main interests are in modelling complex ecological systems, using multivariate statistical models, simulation and Monte-Carlo techniques, across a wide range of spatio-temporal scales. This includes both plant and invertebrate species assemblages, genomics and proteomics data, as well as population modelling of individual species. The latter has included object-based discrete-event models of invertebrates at the landscape scale, agent-based models and Bayesian methods. Robust models allow one to develop new hypotheses, and undertake virtual experiments 'in silico' that would be impracticable or even impossible 'in vivo'.
Experienced in analysis of remote-sensed data, plus geographic information systems (GIS) integrated with statistical and simulation models at multiple scales. Expertise in C++ and R programming, agent-based modelling, spatial statistics, as well as commercial (ESRI ArcGIS) and open source (QGIS, GRASS) GIS software. Taxonomic expertise in Auchenorrhyncha, Heteroptera, Hymenoptera and Nematoda.
- Campylobacter infections - human, diet, and environmental and landscape-scale modelling
- Invertebrate communities associated with fuel-wood willow-coppice
- Meta-analysis of anti-oxidant compositon of organic and conventional foods
- GIS modelling of bumblebee populations in agricultural landscapes
- Modelling the distribution of semi-natural woodlands in Wales
- Multivariate modelling of the impacts of grazing management
- Investigation of the impacts of farmyard manure treatments on vegetation community structure
- Effects of organic and conventional farming on bumblebee behaviour and ecology
- Biofuel cultivation and effects on long-term invertebrate community composition
- Studies of the impact of changes in atmospheric pollution levels on human health
Within the School of Natural & Environmental Sciences I am a member of the Biological, Clinical and Environmental Systems Modelling and Ecology and Conservation research groups
Multi-scale GIS-based modelling techniques, down to the micro-level, so that soil processes can be simulated. Application of spatio-temporal multivariate statistical methods to both microbial and medical data.
- Liam Butler - Multi-scale modelling of vegetation and environment
- Siti Md Saad - Modelling of brown rat populations in Northumberland
- Eli Patterson - Hierarchical modelling of invertebrate assemblages in agricultural landscapes
- Sophie Derveau – Impact of sub-lethal doses of neonicotinoids on bumblebees
- Saya Harvey - Restoration of heather communities following clear-felling of Sitka Spruce plantations in Scotland
- Johnstone Kimanzi - Modelling of roan antelope populations in Kenya
- Lorna Paterson - Spider communities and vegetation structure on upland moorland
- DEFRA – Long-term impacts of willow-coppice biofuels on invertebrate community composition (2013-2014)
- EU - meta-analysis of nutritional content of organic and conventional foods (2009-2013)
- Leverhulme Trust - Ecology of bumblebees under conventional and organic farming systems (2010-2012)
- BBSRC - Impact of mass flowering crops on bumblebees; with Rothamsted Research and Stirling University (2007-2010)
- BBSRC - Spatial modelling of bumblebees in agricultural landscapes; with Rothamsted Research and Southampton University (2002-2005)
- DEFRA - Environmental impact of grazing systems on heather moorland; with CEH, ADAS, RSPB, SAC, IGER (2002-2007)
- DEFRA - Impact of organic manures on semi-natural grasslands; with IGER, ADAS (2005-2008)
BIO1010 Biology in Action (20 credits)
BIO2003 Field Identification Skills (10 credits)
BIO2028 Biodiversity, Ecology and Conservation (20 credits - module leader)
BIO3040 Applied Ecology (20 credits - module leader)
BIO8006 Field Identification Skills (10 credits)
BIO8014 GIS and Remote Sensing (10 credits - module leader)
BIO8052 Quantitative Methods (10 credits - module leader)
ACE8045 Ecological Survey Techniques (10 credits)
ACE8021 Sustainable Development and Environmental Change (10 credits)
MSc Computational Ecology
We will be launching a new MSc degree in Computational Ecology in October 2018 - details to follow soon. Contact me directly if you want further information.
- Idris H, Goodfellow M, Sanderson R, Asenjo JA, Bull AT. Actinobacterial Rare Biospheres and Dark Matter Revealed in Habitats of the Chilean Atacama Desert. Scientific Reports 2017, 7(1), 8373.
- Bull AT, Idris H, Sanderson R, Asenjo J, Andrews B, Goodfellow M. High altitude, hyper-arid soils of the Central-Andes harbor mega-diverse communities of actinobacteria. Extremophiles 2017, ePub ahead of print.
- Evans C, Sanderson R. Long-Term Fertiliser Regimes have both Direct and Indirect Effects on Arthropod Community Composition and Feeding Guilds. Journal of Applied Entomology 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Sanderson RA, Maas JA, Blain AP, Gorton R, Ward J, O'Brien SJ, Hunter PR, Rushton SP. Spatio-temporal models to determine association between Campylobacter cases and environment. International Journal of Epidemiology 2017, ePub ahead of print.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal CJ, Sanderson R, Benbrook C, Steinshamn H, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Eyre M, Cozzi G, Larsen MK, Jordon T, Niggli U, Sakowski T, Calder PC, Burdge GC, Sotiraki S, Stefanakis A, Yolcu H, Stergiadis S, Chatzidimitriou E, Butler G, Stewart G, Leifert C. Composition differences between organic and conventional meat: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(6), 994-1011.
- Eyre MD, Sanderson RA, McMillan SD, Critchley CNR. Crop cover the principal influence on non-crop ground beetle (Coleoptera, Carabidae) activity and assemblages at the farm scale in a long-term assessment. Bulletin of Entomological Research 2016, 106(2), 242-248.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal CJ, Sanderson R, Benbrook C, Steinshamn H, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Eyre M, Cozzi G, Larsen MK, Jordon T, Niggli U, Sakowski T, Calder PC, Burdge GC, Sotiraki S, Stefanakis A, Stergiadis S, Yolcu H, Chatzidimitriou E, Butler G, Stewart G, Leifert C. Higher PUFA and n-3 PUFA, conjugated linoleic acid, α-tocopherol and iron, but lower iodine and selenium concentrations in organic milk: a systematic literature review and meta- and redundancy analyses. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(6), 1043-1060.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal C, Sanderson R, Stewart G, Benbrook C, Rembialkovska E, Niggli U, Volakakis N, Leifert C. Higher antioxidant and lower cadmium concentrations and lower incidence of pesticide residues in organically grown crops: a systematic literature review and meta-analyses. In: 12th European Nutrition Conference (FENS). 2015, Berlin, Germany: Karger.
- Kimanzi JK, Sanderson RA, Rushton SP, Mugo MJ. Spatial distribution of snares in Ruma National Park, Kenya, with implications for management of the roan antelope Hippotragus equinus langheldi and other wildlife. Oryx 2015, 49(02), 295-302.
- Sanderson RA, Goffe LA, Leifert C. Time-series models to quantify short-term effects of meteorological conditions on bumblebee forager activity in agricultural landscapes. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 2015, 17(3), 270–276.
- Kimanzi J, Sanderson R, Rushton S. Habitat suitability modelling and implications for management of roan antelopes in Kenya. African Journal of Ecology 2014, 52(1), 111-121.
- Brandt K, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Sanderson R, Leifert C, Seal CJ. Methods for Comparing Data across Differently Designed Agronomic Studies: Examples of Different Meta-analysis Methods Used to Compare Relative Composition of Plant Foods Grown Using Organic or Conventional Production Methods and a Protocol for a Systematic Review. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61(30), 7173-7180.
- Brandt K, Leifert C, Sanderson R, Seal CJ. Agroecosystem management and nutritional quality of plant foods: The case of organic fruits and vegetables. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 2011, 30(1-2), 177-197.
- Cooper J, Sanderson R, Cakmak I, Ozturk L, Shotton P, Carmichael A, Haghighi RS, Tetard-Jones C, Volakakis N, Eyre M, Leifert C. Effect of Organic and Conventional Crop Rotation, Fertilization, and Crop Protection Practices on Metal Contents in Wheat (Triticum aestivum). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2011, 59(9), 4715-4724.
- Goulson D, Lepais O, O'Connor S, Osborne JL, Sanderson RA, Cussans J, Goffe L, Darvill B. Effects of land use at a landscape scale on bumblebee nest density and survival. Journal of Applied Ecology 2010, 47(6), 1207-1215.
- Lepais O, Darvill B, O'Connor S, Osborne JL, Sanderson RA, Cussans J, Goffe L, Goulson D. Estimation of bumblebee queen dispersal distances using sibship reconstruction method. Molecular Ecology 2010, 19(4), 819-831.
- Lagisz M, Wolff K, Sanderson RA, Laskowski R. Genetic population structure of the ground beetle, Pterostichus oblongopunctatus, inhabiting a fragmented and polluted landscape: evidence for sex-biased dispersal. Journal of Insect Science 2010, 10, 105.
- Cussans J, Goulson D, Sanderson R, Goffe L, Darvill B, Osborne JL. Two Bee-Pollinated Plant Species Show Higher Seed Production when Grown in Gardens Compared to Arable Farmland. PLoS One 2010, 5(7), e11753.
- Knight ME, Osborne JL, Sanderson RA, Hale RJ, Martin AP, Goulson D. Bumblebee nest density and the scale of available forage in arable landscapes. Insect Conservation and Diversity 2009, 2(2), 116-124.
- Butler G, Collomb M, Rehberger B, Sanderson R, Eyre M, Leifert C. Conjugated linoleic acid isomer concentrations in milk from high- and low-input management dairy systems. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2009, 89(4), 697-705.
- Eyre MD, Sanderson RA, Shotton PN, Leifert C. Investigating the effects of crop type, fertility management and crop protection on the activity of beneficial invertebrates in an extensive farm management comparison trial. Annals of Applied Biology 2009, 155(2), 267-276.
- Osborne JL, Martin AP, Carreck NL, Swain JL, Knight ME, Goulson D, Hale RJ, Sanderson RA. Bumblebee flight distances in relation to the forage landscape. Journal of Animal Ecology 2008, 77(2), 406-415.
- Butler G, Nielsen JH, Slots T, Seal C, Eyre MD, Sanderson R, Leifert C. Fatty acid and fat-soluble antioxidant concentrations in milk from high- and low-input conventional and organic systems: seasonal variation. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2008, 88(8), 1431-1441.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Glinianaia SV, Rankin J, Pearce MS, Rushton S, Ghosh R, Lurz P, Sanderson R, Shirley M, Diggle P, Fanshawe T, Charlton M, Parker L. Maternal exposure to air pollution and perinatal outcomes: methodological approaches to exposure assessment and preliminary findings of the UK particulate matter and perinatal events research (PAMPER) study. European Epimarker 2008, 12(2), 1-12.
- Fanshawe TR, Diggle PJ, Rushton SP, Sanderson RA, Lurz PWW, Glinianaia SV, Pearce MS, Parker L, Charlton M, Pless-Mulloli T. Modelling spatio-temporal variation in exposure to particulate matter: a two-stage approach. Environmetrics 2008, 19(6), 549-566.
- Bertolino S, Lurz P, Sanderson RA, Rushton SP. Predicting the spread of the American grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) in Europe: A call for a co-ordinated European approach. Biological Conservation 2008, 141(10), 2564-2575.
- Osborne JL, Martin AP, Shortall CR, Todd AD, Goulson D, Knight ME, Hale RJ, Sanderson RA. Quantifying and comparing bumblebee nest densities in gardens and countryside habitats. Journal of Applied Ecology 2008, 45(3), 784-792.
- Kirkham FW, Tallowin JRB, Sanderson RA, Bhogal A, Chambers BJ, Stevens DP. The impact of organic and inorganic fertilizers and lime on the species-richness and plant functional characteristics of hay meadow communities. Biological Conservation 2008, 141(5), 1411-1427.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Diggle P, Rushton S, Lurz P, Glinianaia S, Sanderson R. Dynamic modeling of space-time variation of black smoke in an industrial urban setting. In: Epidemiology: 19th Annual Conference of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology. 2007, Mexico City, Mexico: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Martin AP, Carreck NL, Swain JL, Goulson D, Knight ME, Hale RJ, Sanderson RA, Osborne JL. A modular system for trapping and mass-marking bumblebees: Applications for studying food choice and foraging range. Apidologie 2006, 37(3), 341-350.
- Rhind P, Stevens D, Sanderson R. A review and floristic analysis of lichen-rich grey dune vegetation in Britain. Biology and Environment 2006, 106(3), 301-310.
- Greaves RK, Sanderson RA, Rushton SP. Predicting species occurrence using information-theoretic approaches and significance testing: An example of dormouse distribution in Cumbria, UK. Biological Conservation 2006, 130(2), 239-250.
- Buchanan GM, Grant MC, Sanderson RA, Pearce-Higgins JW. The contribution of invertebrate taxa to moorland bird diets and the potential implications of land-use management. Ibis 2006, 148(4), 615-628.
- Knight ME, Martin AP, Bishop S, Osborne JL, Hale RJ, Sanderson RA, Goulson D. An interspecific comparison of foraging range and nest density of four bumblebee (Bombus) species. Molecular Ecology 2005, 14(6), 1811-1820.
- Eyre MD, Woodward JC, Sanderson RA. Assessing the relationship between grassland Auchenorrhyncha (Homoptera) and land cover. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 2005, 109(3-4), 187-191.
- Sanderson RA, Eyre MD, Rushton SP. Distribution of selected macroinvertebrates in a mosaic of temporary and permanent freshwater ponds as explained by autologistic models. Ecography 2005, 28(3), 355-362.
- Sanderson RA, Eyre MD, Rushton SP. The influence of stream invertebrate composition at neighbouring sites on local assemblage composition. Freshwater Biology 2005, 50(2), 221-231.
- Sanderson RA, Tucker K, Rushton SP, Martin EB. Modelling bird distributions - a combined GIS and Bayesian rule-based approach. Landscape Ecology, 12, No 2, 77-93 1997.
- Sanderson RA, Rushton S, Luff M, Fuller R. Modelling the spatial dynamics of ground beetles (Carabidae) within landscapes. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 33, 233-241 1996.
- Rushton, S. P., Sanderson, R.A., Luff, M.L. & Fuller, R. (1996). Modelling the spatial dynamics of ground beetles (Carabidae) within landscapes. Annales Zoologi Fennici 1996, 33, 233-241.