Dr Stuart Edwards
Senior Lecturer in Geomatics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5962
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6502
- Personal Website: https://research.ncl.ac.uk/geodesy/research/projects/gnsspositioningtechniques/networksofsensorsinextremeenvironments/
- Address: School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Stuart is a Senior Lecturer in Geomatics specialising in Engineering Geodesy. His career commenced in industry where he was heavily involved in the development and application of GNSS based survey techniques to open-pit mining. Switching to academia in 1994, he has focussed on engineering survey related topics in both teaching and research. His research interests focus on GNSS solutions for displacement monitoring, GNSS quality indicators and satellite altimetry, although latterly he has applied his research to further the study of ice-mass balance in Greenland.
Roles and Responsibilities
Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Faculty of Science Agriculture and Engineering, (Feb 2015 - )
Dean of Postgraduate Studies, Faculty of Science Agriculture and Engineering, (Nov 2013 - Dec 2014)
Director of Undergraduate Studies for the School, (2008 - Nov 2013)
Chair of School Teaching and Learning Committee, (2008 - Nov 2013
School representative on Faculty Teaching, Learning and student Experience Committee (FTLSEC), (2008 - 2013 )
Vice Chair, Geomatics Board of Examiners, (2005 - 2014 )
PhD., Geomatics, Newcastle Univesity (2006)
BSc., (Hons), Topographic Science and Geography, II(i)., Swansea University, (1985)
Certificate in Teching and Learning in Higher Education, Newcastle University, (1997)
Royal Academy of Engineering Industrial Secondment Scheme - Fugro Intersite B.V., Netherlands (2012) Visiting Fellow, (Sabbitical), Department of Surveying, Otago University, New Zealand, (2009)
Senior Surveyor, British Coal Opencast, Northern Region, (1991 - 1994)
Land Survey, (Various grades) British Coal Opencast, Northern and Central Regions (1985 - 1991)
Fellow, Instituition of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES), (2007 - )
Fellow, Higher Education Academy, (formerly the ILTHE), (2001 - )
Member, American Geopphysical Union, (2000 - )
Member, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), (1994 - )
Chartered Surveyor with over 20 years experience in geomatics techniques for engineering applications and the use of high precision GPS. Lead a wide range of GPS /GNSS related consultancies for International and National organisations including Shell UK, BP, Fugro UDI, and the UK's Environment Agency. On-going/completed projects include; precise subsidence monitoring of off-shore oil/gas installations, first-order GPS network design for flood-level studies, on-shore oil-field subsidence monitoring.
Independent travel (China by train, Turkey by bus, Spain by motorcycle, Norway on foot!), Mountain hiking (Swiss Alps, French Alps, Italian Dolomites), Mountain biking and Running.
Undergraduate programmes in geomatics, civil engineering and physical geography.
Module leader for:
CEG1703: Surveying (20 credits)
CEG1709: Surveying for Engineers I (10 credits)
CEG1712: Surveying for Physical Scientist (10 credits)
CEG2710: GNSS theory and practice (10 credits)
CEG3710: Offshore surveying (10 credits)
Contributor to modules
CEG1701: Fieldcourse (20 credits)
CEG1711: Tutorial module (10 credits)
CEG3799: Research Project (30 credits)
MAR8049: Subsea Surveying (10 credits)
Googel Scholar link: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=_kQgCDoAAAAJ&hl=en
Precise GPS (GNSS) engineering geodesy for monitoring applications: landslide/engineering deformation; low-cost GNSS sensor networks; real-time GNSS qualtiy indicators; coastal change detection; precise point positioning; tropospheric delay estimation; ocean tide loading; improvement of GNSS height coordinate determination for precise monitoring.
Low-cost GNSS sensor networks for glacier tracking in Greenland.
Calibration/validation of altimetric satellite microwave radiometers.
Unification of vertical datums accross mapping agencies.
Precise GPS positioning for oilfield subsidence monitoring.
Improved quality indicators for Precise Point Positioning in the Offshore sector.
Kalman filter itegration of Geodetic and Geophycial data for landslide prediction.
Mohammed Assiadi (Stage 4 PhD): GPS for structural deformation monitoring [lead-supervisor]
Matthew Goode (Stage 4 PhD): Improved quality intidactors for PPP in the Offshore sector [lead-supervisor]
Nadim Dayoub (PhD 2010): The Gauss-Listing geopotential value (W0) and its rate from altimetric mean sea level and GRACE [co-supervisor]
Ahmed Ragheb (PhD 2008): Filtered and semi-continuous single epoch GPS for deformation monitoring [co-supervisor]
Pauline Miller (PhD 2007): A robust surface matching technique for coastal geohazard monitoring [co-supervisor]
Craig Allinson (PhD 2005): Ocean tide loading in the British Isles from GPS observations [co-supervisor]
Jamal Gledan (PhD 2004): Development of low cost GPS strategies for deformation monitoring [lead-supervisor]
Ravi Gunasingam (MPhil 2003): Single-epoch ambiguity resolution using low-cost GPS receivers [co-supervisor]
Invited Key-note: Network RTK evaluation, Dublin Institute of Technology (2010) Member: NERC Space Geodesy Facility Steering Committee (2007 - 2010)
Chair: RICS Geomatics Faculty Group Board, (2009 - Date)
Member: NERC Space Geodesy Facility Steering Committee (2007 - 2010)
Member: Survey Review Editorial Board (2006 - Date)
Member: RICS Geomatics Faculty Executive Board (2005 - 2009)
ICES invited seminars (x2), University of Glasgow (Jan and Feb 2005)
UK delegate to FIG commission 5 (Positioning), (1998 - 2002)
UK Natural Environment Research Council:
Networks of Sensors (PI, 2010-2013).
Elastic and Inelastic Ocean Tide Loading Response in the British Isles from Long-term GPS Observations (Co-I, 2001-2004).
UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council:
Towards a Real-Time Tide Gauge System Through Integration of Gravity Sensors with a high accuracy GNSS/INS surface position (Co-I 2003-2006).
What on Earth? Geomatics.org.uk - promoting the exciting world of Geomatics to Schools and Colleges (C0-I, 2006-2009).
Synergy of GPS, digital photogrammetry and InSAR for coastal zone monitoring (Co-I, 2000-2003).
Auto - bahn: Towards Millimetre Accurate Real - Time Positioning From GNSS (Co-I, 2005-2007).
LESSLOSS: Risk mitigation for earthquakes and landslides (PI, 2004-2007).
Industrial sponsored research and consultancy:
Subsidence monitoring at Wytch Farm oil field, Dorset (BP; PI, 2002, 2004, 2006, Co-I 2010).
Review of Network RTK performance in Great Britain (Ordnance Survey, The Survey Association, Trimble Navigation, Leica Geosystems, Royal Instituction of Chartered Surveyors, PI, 2007-2008)
Permanent GPS Monitoring of Shah Deniz Platform, Caspian Sea (Fugro Survey / BP; Co-I, 2005-2012).
RAEng Industrial Secondment (PI, commencing 2012)
New quality control procedures for Precise Point Positioning (Fugro Suvey GmbH, PI, 2009-2011)
RAEng Travel grant (PI, 2009)
Continuing Professional Development (CPD):
Developed CPD courses in;
(i) Advanced Least Squares analysis for the offshore industry (PI, In partnership with Fugro Survey GmbH).
(ii) Precise GPS Positioning using Continually Operating Reference Stations (PI, In partnership with Leica Geosystems).
(iii) Understanding Network RTK in the UK (PI, In partnership with Ordnance Survey).
- Murray T, Selmes N, James T, Edwards S, Martin I, O'Farrell T, Aspey R, Rutt I, Nettles M, Baugé T. Dynamics of glacier calving at the ungrounded margin of Helheim Glacier, southeast Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface 2015, 120(6), 964-982.
- Murray T, Nettles M, Selmes N, Cathles LM, Burton JC, James TD, Edwards S, Martin I, O'Farrell T, Aspey R, Rutt I, Bauge T. Reverse glacier motion during iceberg calving and the cause of glacial earthquakes. Science 2015, 349(6245), 305-308.
- Martin I, O'Farrell T, Aspey R, Edwards S, James T, Loskot P, Murray T, Rutt I, Selmes N, Bauge T. A High-Resolution Sensor Network for Monitoring Glacier Dynamics. IEEE Sensors Journal 2014, 14(11), 3926-3931.
- Assiadi A, Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ. Enhancement of the accuracy of single-epoch GPS positioning for long baselines by local ionospheric modelling. GPS Solutions 2014, 18(3), 453-460.
- Bramald T, Edwards SJ. Life During and Beyond Geomatics. In: Tate,S; Hopkins,P, ed. Re-thinking undergraduate students’ transitions to, through and out of university. Higher Education Academy, 2013, pp.21-23.
- Dayoub N, Moore P, Penna NT, Edwards SJ. Evaluation of EGM2008 Within Geopotential Space from GPS, Tide Gauges and Altimetry. In: Geodesy for Planet Earth: Proceedings of the 2009 IAG Symposium. 2012, Buenos Aires, Argentina: Springer.
- Dayoub N, Edwards SJ, Moore P. The Gauss-Listing geopotential value W0 and its rate from altimetric mean sea level and GRACE. Journal of Geodesy 2012, 86(9), 681-694.
- Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ, Penna NT, Goebell S. An examination of network RTK GPS services in Great Britain. Survey Review 2010, 42(316), 107-121.
- Ragheb AE, Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ. Using Filtered and Semicontinuous High Rate GPS for Monitoring Deformations. Journal of Surveying Engineering 2010, 136(2), 72-79.
- Miller PE, Mills JP, Edwards S, Bryan P, Marsh S, Mitchell H, Hobbs P. A robust surface matching technique for coastal geohazard assessment and management. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 2008, 63(5), 529-542.
- Miller PE, Mills JP, Edwards SJ, Bryan P, Marsh S, Hobbs P, Mitchell H. A robust surface matching technique for integrated monitoring of coastal geohazards. Marine Geodesy 2007, 30(1-2), 109-123.
- Ragheb AE, Clarke PJ, Edwards SJ. GPS sidereal filtering: coordinate- and carrier-phase-level strategies. Journal of Geodesy 2007, 81(5), 325-335.
- Edwards SJ, Moore P. A GPS and cold ocean brightness temperature calibration of the ERS-2 and TOPEX/Poseidon microwave radiometers. Marine Geodesy 2006, 29(1), 65-84.
- Edwards S, Moore P, King MA. Assessment of the Jason-1 and TOPEX/Poseidon microwave radiometer performance using GPS from offshore sites in the north sea. Marine Geodesy 2004, 27(3-4), 717-727.
- Moore P, Edwards SJ, King MA. Radiometric path delay calibration of ERS-2 with application to altimetric range. In: Proceedings of the Envisat Symposium. 2004, Salzburg.
- Allinson CR, Clarke PJ, Edwards SJ, King MA, Baker TF, Cruddace PR. Stability of direct GPS estimates of ocean tide loading. Geophysical Research Letters 2004, 31(15), L15603.
- M. King,S. Edwards,P. Clarke. Precise Point Positioning: Breaking the monopoly of relative GPS processing. Engineering Showcase 2003. April, 40-41.
- Wadge G, Webley PW, James IN, Bingley R, Dodson A, Waugh S, Veneboer T, Puglisi G, Mattia M, Baker D, Edwards SC, Edwards SJ, Clarke PJ. Atmospheric models, GPS and InSAR measurements of the tropospheric water vapour field over Mount Etna. Geophysical Research Letters 2002, 29(19), 1905.