ECO3019 : Dissertation Part 1
- Offered for Year: 2018/19
- Module Leader(s): Dr Francis Kiraly
- Owning School: Newcastle University Business School
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
The aims of this module are to provide key research skills for individual economic research.
Outline Of Syllabus
The literature review provides the opportunity for students to undertake an independent literature search and write a literature survey on a topic of interest. Students spend time reading the literature connected with the chosen topic, critically analysing the current level of knowledge and identifying gaps in the literature. Students have the freedom to pick any topic that they find interesting, subject to supervision availability with a view to continuing with their own research project on the chosen topic.
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||1:00||1:00||Ethics|
|Guided Independent Study||Assessment preparation and completion||1||46:00||46:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||1||2:00||2:00||Guidelines for literature review and research project.|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||49:00||49:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Dissertation/project related supervision||2||1:00||2:00||Minimum 2 hours supervision|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
1) The lecture provides information about the structure of the dissertation, how to do a literature review, expectations regarding supervision. Students are also informed about the name of their supervisor.
2) Private study involves reading through the sources recommended by the supervisor, but also searching for other sources relevant to their dissertation. It also involves using these resources to design and write the literature review and deal with supervisory comments.
3) Supervision sessions allow contact with an experienced member of staff in order to discuss ideas and receive individual guidance.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Report||1||M||100||Literature review (3500 words)|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
The students undertake a literature review, which will be expanded into a full dissertation in semester 2. The assessment demonstrates that the students understand the literature and the nature of critical analysis. It also allows them to demonstrate that they have identified gaps in the literature and identified ways of tackling their research question.