FRE2061 : Level C (HE Advanced) French
- Offered for Year: 2018/19
- Module Leader(s): Dr Sandra Salin
- Lecturer: Dr Sarah Leahy, Dr Myriem El Maizi, Professor Shirley Jordan, Ms Isabelle Ruegg Alter, Dr Jo Lumley
- Other Staff: Mrs Adeline Gonzalez Vazquez, Ms Christelle Vicente-Jacques
- Owning School: Modern Languages
- Teaching Location: Newcastle City Campus
|Semester 1 Credit Value:||10|
|Semester 2 Credit Value:||10|
In consonance with the overall aims of the degrees offered in the SML, this module will:
1. focus on further developing students' written communicative and oral/ aural competence in the foreign language gained in FRE1071
2. prepare students for the future study of the language
3. facilitate students' ability to establish and maintain effective social and working relations with speakers of the foreign language in written and spoken media during their intercalary year.
Teaching in weekly 2 hour language classes will focus on communication while weekly one-hour lectures will focus on key study skills and the formal structures of the language. All four skills - listening, reading, writing and speaking - are fully integrated in the language classes and will be assessed.
Themes addressed in the language classes include: Cultural differences; A practical guide to living in France; Employment in France; Ethical issues; Francophone culture; and French Languages and registers.
The module will be taught and assessed in French and English.
Outline Of Syllabus
Themes addressed in the language classes include:
1. Cultural differences
2. A practical guide to living in France
3. Youth employment in France
4. Ethical issues
5. Cultural issues
6. French Languages and registers
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Lecture||22||1:00||22:00||N/A|
|Scheduled Learning And Teaching Activities||Small group teaching||44||1:00||44:00||Language Classes|
|Guided Independent Study||Independent study||1||134:00||134:00||N/A|
Jointly Taught With
|FRE2161||Level C (HE Advanced) French - Exchange Semester 1|
|FRE2261||Level C (HE Advanced) French - Exchange Semester 1|
Teaching Rationale And Relationship
1. Teaching in the language classes will focus on communication while the weekly lectures will focus on key study skills and the formal structures of the language. All four skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking are fully integrated in the language classes and will be assessed.
2. With: Independent learning and learner autonomy are further developed through the means of portfolio tasks. Pair and group work and self-study at home and in the Language Resource Centre. Particular initiative is expected from students at this level, e.g. course participants will be asked to contribute their own materials to the classes.
The format of resits will be determined by the Board of Examiners
|Aural Examination||15||2||M||20||Listening test.|
|Oral Examination||15||2||M||20||Oral examination.|
|Written Examination||105||2||M||20||In-class assessment in each Semester. The best mark will count towards the final module mark.|
|Written exercise||1||M||Formative tasks prior to in-class assessment.|
|Written exercise||2||M||Formative tasks prior to in-class assessment.|
Assessment Rationale And Relationship
Listening, reading, writing, speaking and grammar have equal weighting in the assessment of this course.
• One 150 minute examination in Semester 2 (40%)
• One oral examination in Semester 2 (20%)
• One listening test in Semester 2 (20%)
• In-class assessments of portfolio tasks. There will be an in-class assessment in each Semester and only the best mark will count towards the module mark (20%).
Informal feedback will be provided throughout the year to help students assess their progress.
Resit: 150 minute written examination