Dental education started in Newcastle in 1895. Six dentists founded the original Dental School and Hospital. It was opened in Nelson Street by the Mayor of Newcastle upon Tyne on April 22 1895. Its purpose was ‘to give gratuitous (dental) treatment to the necessitous poor’.
College of Medicine
The Dental School and Hospital became affiliated with the College of Medicine in 1911. The University of Durham started an examination for the Licence in Dental Surgery. Degrees in Bachelor of Surgery (BDS), Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) and Doctor of Dental Science (DDS) followed.
In 1937, the College of Medicine (including Dentistry), united with the Science-based Armstrong College. They formed King's College, University of Durham – all based in the City of Newcastle. King’s College broke away from Durham University in 1963. It became part of Newcastle University.
The School of Dental Sciences and Dental Hospital occupied city-centre locations from 1895. It moved to its current, purpose-built premises on Richardson Road in 1978.
University and Hospital functions integrate in the current building. We link physically and administratively to the Medical School. The School of Dental Sciences is one of four academic Schools within the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
Royal Victoria Infirmary
The Dental Hospital became part of the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) and Associated Hospitals Trust in 1992. The Trust embarked on major rebuilding, along with the Faculty of Medical Sciences.
It has created perhaps the most modern and integrated medical/dental campus in the country. In 1998, the RVI and Freeman hospitals merged to form the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust.
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
For those interested to find out more, see: Newcastle Dental School and Hospital 1895-1995 by Murray JJ, Murray ID, Hill B. ISBN: 0-947678-069. Published by the Medical Faculty, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.