Dr Francesca Mullan
Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry
Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry
I graduated from Dundee University Dental School in 2007 with my BDS qualification. After completing my Vocational Training I continued to work in general practice until 2011. Then I entered the Hospital Dental Service to work as an SHO in the Oral and Maxillofacial Department at Ninewells Hospital Dundee and became involved in research. Following this I was employed as a Clinical Research Assistant at King’s College London undertaking a PhD in Prosthodontics investigating the role of surface texture measurements as a clinical indicator of erosive tooth wear (sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline). This role also involved clinical teaching of 3rd and 4th year undergraduate students in removable prosthodontics and supervision of MClinDent research projects.
Roles and responsibilities
- Clinical teaching
- Stage 3 Tutor
- Stage 5 Deputy Examination Chair
- Erosive tooth wear
- Structure of human enamel
- Dentine hypersensitivity
- Application of laboratory models to clinical trials
- 2017 Clinical Trials Delivery Best Practice Workshop (Wendy Fisher -Consulting)
- 2016 Good Clinical Practice in Conducting Clinical Trials and MHRA training
- 2014 Colgate Workshop: Academic Writing
- 2014 Critical Appraisal
- The effect of different erosion times on surface roughness of natural and polished enamel.
64th Congress of the European Organisation for Caries Research (2017)
- The effect of different erosion times on surface roughness of unpolished and polished enamel.
GSK Annual Symposium (2016)
- In vitro study of enamel surface texture changes from erosion.
63rd Congress of the European Organisation for Caries Research (2016)
- Replica technique to measure surface roughness of natural enamel in vitro.
King’s College London, Dental Institute Annual Post Graduate Research Day, Plenary Session (2016)
- Evaluation of surface roughness measurements of unpolished enamel.
GSK Annual Symposium (2015)
- Time for a review of guidelines for surgical removal of wisdom teeth?
Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (2012)
Stage 3 Tutor
Stage 5 Deputy Examination Chair
- Mullan F, Austin AS, Parkinson CR, Hasan A, Bartlett DW. Measurement of surface roughness changes of unpolished and polished enamel following erosion. PLOS One 2017, 12(8), e0182406.
- Mullan F, Bartlett D, Austin RS. Measurement uncertainty associated with chromatic confocal profilometry for 3D surface texture characterization of natural human enamel. Dental Materials 2017, 33(6), e273-e281.
- Mullan F, Paraskar S, Bartlett D, Olley RC. Effects of tooth-brushing force with a desensitising dentifrice on dentine tubule patency and surface roughness. Journal of Dentistry 2017, 60, 50-55.
- Austin RS, Mullen F, Bartlett DW. Surface texture measurement for dental wear applications. Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties 2015, 3(2), 023002.
- Mullan F, Austis RS, Parkinson CR, Bartlett DW. An in-situ pilot study to investigate the native clinical resistance of enamel to erosion. Journal of Dentistry 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Mullan F, Mylonas P, Parkinson C, Bartlett D, Austin RS. Precision of 655 nm Confocal Laser Profilometry for 3D surface texture characterisation of natural human enamel undergoing dietary acid mediated erosive wear. Dental Materials 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Mullan F, O'Toole S. The role of the diet in tooth wear. British Dental Journal 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).