Dr Rachel Green
Clinical Lecturer in Oral Surgery
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8295
- Address: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I gained my BDS from Dundee University in 2002 and following this undertook GPT and later SHO positions based around the west coast of Scotland. Having always had an interest in Oral Surgery I joined Newcastle University as a Clinical Fellow in Oral Surgery in 2007 and, following completion of my PhD as part of the post, was subsequently appointed as a Clinical Lecturer. In this role I continue to develop my academic practice whilst carrying out specialist training in Oral Surgery.
- MFDS RSC (Edin)
- Newcastle Teaching Award
- Certificate in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice
Roles and Responsibilites
- Course leader for Stage 4 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinical Attachement
- Contribute to the delivery of clinical teaching, lectures and seminars for Stages 3 and 4 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Course
- Involved in the examination of the Oral Diseases and Human Diseases courses
- Personal tutor providing pastoral support to 11 undergraduate BDS students
- Co-supervisor for 1 PhD student
- BDS admissions panel member
- Staff-student committee member
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Association of British Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- International Association of Dental Research
- Elements of the educational process including; the use of technology to enhance the feedback process for students, patient feedgack as a component of the BDS curriculum, student perceptions and experiences of the academic process
- Patient and professional views and experience of oral premalignancy
- Living with uncertain disease
- Communication in health care
- ADEE Scholarship programme 2016 - Advancement of video dentistry in dental education
- BAOMS small research grant
- QUILT 'just one thing' grant
- Co-supervisor to 1 PhD student
ABAOMS 2013 - First prize - verbal presentation category
- Reviewer for the European Journal of Dental Education and Journal of Oral and Dental Research
Undergraduate Teaching Responsibilities
- Head and neck anatomy course - Former anatomy demonstrator involving head and neck anatomy teaching for Stage 1 BDS students
- Course lead for the Clinical introductory course - including lecture, seminar and practical based teaching
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery course - significant contribution to the provision of clinical teaching, seminars and competency based assessment
- Involvement in OMFS course BDS examinations: question writing, standard setting, examining (OSCE, in-course assessment)
- Involvement in Human Diseases examinations: in-course examiner, co-exam board chair.
- Course lead for the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinical Attachment
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery course - significant contribution to the provision of clinical teaching (minor oral surgery), seminars, lecturers and competency based assessment
- Human Diseases course - involvement in lectures and examinations (OSCE and in- course assessment), co-exam board chair
Postgraduate Teaching Responsibilities
- Involvement in the GPT oral surgery induction programme
- Contribute to the MFDS lecture programme
- Invited speaker for DF1 lecture programme
- Facilitator fo minor oral surgery training days as part of the Northern Deanery's lifelong learning programme
- Development of post graduate MOS courses for DF1 trainers
- Greenwood M, Beattie A, Green R, Durham J. Aspects of training in clinical medical sciences in dentistry (human disease): recent graduates’ perspectives from a UK dental school. European Journal of Dental Education 2013, 17(2), 114-121.
- Green R, Thomson PJ, Exley C, Steele JG. Understanding the transition from primary to secondary care: experiences of patients with oral precancer. In: British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Annual Scientific Meeting. 2011, Nice, France: Churchill Livingstone.
- Green R, Exley C, Thomson PJ, Steele JG. Understanding patient views and experience of oral precancer. In: International Association for Dental Research General Session (IADR 2010). 2010, Barcelona, Spain: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Staines KS, Green R, Felix DH. The management of fistulizing oral Crohn's disease with infliximab. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2007, 36(7), 444-446.
- Green R, Bhatia K, McHugh S, Hodge P. Influence of Deprivation on Referral to a Specialist Periodontal Department. Journal of Dental Research 2006, 85 (Special Iss C), 498.
- Green RA, Exley C, Steele JG, Thomson PJ. Patients understanding of the unknown: oral precancer. In: Journal of Dental Research. 2014.