Dr Richard Holliday
NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow/ Specialty Registrar in Restorative Dentistry
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Level 4 (4.016)
Newcastle School of Dental Sciences
I received my dental degree (BDS) from the University of Sheffield in 2008. I subsequently completed an range of posts in general dental practice and hospital dentistry, across different specialities in both Scotland and England. I completed MFDS RCSEd in 2010 and in 2012 I entered higher specialty training as a Speciality Registrar (StR)/ NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow (ACF) in Restorative Dentistry at the Newcastle Dental Hospital. I've completed a Masters in Clinical Research at the University of Newcastle and am currently completing a NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship (PhD).
My research interests are currently focused on understanding and reducing periodontal diseases through investigations in two distinct, but interrelated areas: subgingival dental plaque and risk factors such as smoking (in particular electronic cigarettes).
- British Society of Periodontology Poster (Research) Prize 2017
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) Travel Prize 2017
- Research Impact Competition First Prize. (Centre for Oral Health Research, Newcastle University, 2015)
- British Society of Periodontology Poster (Research) Prize 2014
- SRRDG Poster Prize 2012. (Senior Registrars in Restorative Dentistry Group)
- John Smith Medal for MFDS part 1 (October 2009 diet), RCSEd. (Awarded for single highest score)
- New Graduate Award 2011. British Society for the Study of Prosthetic Dentistry (BSSPD).
- BDS prize in Restorative Dentistry (University of Sheffield, 2008)
- Roger Ball prize in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (University of Sheffield, 2008)
- First prize- Audit Competition 2010- British Society of Oral Surgery (BAOS)
- Highly commended (2nd prize), open paper award. BAOS/ European Federation of Oral Surgery Societies (EFOSS) joint meeting 2010.
- Premier Award 2009. Second prize in the Postgraduate section.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Academic representative for Senior Registrars in Restorative Dentistry Group (SRRDG), 2014/2015.
- Honorary Treasurer for SRRDG, 2015-present.
- Conference organiser for SRRDG 2016.
- SRRDG representative on The British Society of Periodontology (BSP) Council, 2014/2015.
- Restorative StR representative on the Early Career Group of BSP, 2016/2017.
- BDS (Hons)
- MFDS RCSEd
- MFDS an eundem RCSEng
- British Dental Association (BDA)
- The British Society of Periodontology (BSP)
- British Society of Prosthodontics (BSSPD)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCSEng)
- British Society for Oral and Dental Research (BSODR)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- Specialty Registrar in Restorative Dentistry Group (SRRDG)
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT)
My main research interests are focused on understanding and reducing periodontal diseases through investigations in two distinct, but interrelated areas: subgingival dental plaque and risk factors such as smoking (in particular electronic cigarettes).
As part of my Masters in Clinical Research I've conducted a clinical trial (NIHR Portfolio Study. UKCRN ID: 16964) involving ultrastructural analysis of subgingival dental plaque biofilm using Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy. The particular focus of this work (and the other projects I'm involved in) is to enhance our understanding of the biofilm extra-cellular matrix, in particular the role of extra-cellular DNA (eDNA).
Risk factors for periodontal diseases, such as smoking, are also a research interest of mine. I'm particularly interest in the rapidly growing phenomenon of electronic cigarettes and the potential interactions with periodontal heath and disease management. I've published several review papers in this field and have recently been successfully awarded a prestigious NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship. I'm conducting a feasibility Randomised Controlled Trial of using electronic cigarettes within periodontal therapies for smokers who have severe chronic periodontitis. http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN17731903
- British Society of Periodontology Research Grant. (£3,700)
- Centre for Oral Health Research, Newcastle University, Research Grant. (£3,700)
- Innovative engagement grant, Newcastle University. (£500)
- National Institute for Health Research, Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2015-2018, 'Electronic cigarettes as a smoking cessation and harm reduction tool in patients with periodontitis: A mixed methods feasibility study.' (£323,713)
- British Society of Periodontology Clinical Travel Fellowship. (£4000)
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) Travel Award 2017. ($500)
- Rostami N, Shields RC, Yassin SA, Hawkins AR, Bowen L, Luo TL, Rickard AH, Holliday R, Preshaw PM, Jakubovics NS. A Critical Role for Extracellular DNA in Dental Plaque Formation. Journal of Dental Research 2017, 96(2), 208-216.
- Holliday R, Kist R, Bauld L, Preshaw PM. E-cigarettes and oral health: A balanced viewpoint. Oral Diseases 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Holliday R, Amin K, Lawrence V, Preshaw PM. Tobacco education in UK dental schools: A survey of current practice. European Journal of Dental Education 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Holliday R, Kist R, Bauld L. E-cigarette vapour is not inert and exposure can lead to cell damage. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2016, 17, 2-3.
- Holliday R, Barclay S, Garnett M, Stacey F. Acidic Saliva Substitutes. British Dental Journal 2015, 218(8), 438-438.
- Heasman PA, Holliday R, Bryant A, Preshaw PM. Evidence for the occurrence of gingival recession and non-carious cervical lesions as a consequence of traumatic toothbrushing. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2015, 42(S16), S237-S255.
- Holliday R, Venugopal S, Howell A, Keys W. Operator's ability at assessing a high speed (air turbine) handpiece prior to use: an audit. British Dental Journal 2015, 218, E3.
- Holliday R, Venugopal S, Howell A, Key W. Operator's ability at assessing a high-speed (air turbine) handpiece before use: an audit. British Dental Journal 2015, 218(2), E3.
- Holliday R, Stubbs C. The Dental Perspective on Electronic Cigarettes: the good, the bad and the ugly. Oral Health Journal 2015, 16-26.
- Holliday R, Preshaw P, Bowen L, Jakubovics N. The ultrastructure of subgingival dental plaque, revealed by high-resolution field emission scanning electron microscopy. BDJ Open 2015, 1, 15003.
- Holliday R, Corson M, Horridge C. Electronic cigarettes: harm reduction or another addiction?; the dental perspective. Dental Update 2014, 41(8), 667-676.
- Holliday R, Lush N, Chapple J, Nohl F, Cole B. Hypodontia: Aesthetics and Function. Part 2: Management. Dental Update 2014, 41(10), 891-898.
- Lush N, Holliday R, Chapple J, Nohl F, Cole B. Hypodontia: Aesthetics and Functions Part 1: Aetiology and the Problems. Dental Update 2014, 41(9), 811-815.
- Holliday R, Alani A. Traditional and Contemporary Techniques for Optimizing Root Canal Irrigation. Dental Update 2014, 41, 51-61.
- Preshaw P, Holliday R, Law H, Heasman P. Outcomes of non-surgical periodontal treatment by dental hygienists in training: impact of site- and patient-level factors. International Journal of Dental Hygiene 2013, 11(4), 273-279.
- Holliday R, Beecroft E. Bilateral mandibular premolar dens invaginations: a case report. Case Reports in Dentistry 2012, 474013.
- Holliday R, Jackson I. Superior position of the mandibular foramen and the necessary alterations in the local anaesthetic technique: a case report. British Dental Journal 2011, 210(5), 207-211.
- Holliday R, Devlin M, Downie J. The Golden Proportion. Scottish Dental Magazine 2011, 50-51.
- Johnson S, Holliday R. A clinical audit into record keeping in oral surgery. Oral Surgery 2010, 3(4), 157-158.
- Turani D, Santini A, Holliday R. Resin-Composite Restorations, Can They Be Repaired Using Any Composite System?. Journal of Dental Research 2010, Special Issues (Meeting Abstracts).