Dr Richard Holmes
Senior Lecturer / Hon. Consultant in Dental Public Health
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5928
- Address: Room 4.012
Child Dental Health (Level 4)
Centre for Oral Health Research
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a dentist, Specialist and Senior Lecturer in Dental Public Health. I hold an Hon. Public Health Consultant Clinical Academic contract with Public Health England (PHE). My research interests include health services research, priority setting, resource allocation and health policy in relation to dentistry.
After several years working in primary dental care I began as a NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow in Dental Public Health at Newcastle University before being awarded a 3-year national NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship (2009-2012) to research priority setting and the use of health economic tools in NHS dental commissioning.
After gaining my PhD at Newcastle University I became an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Dental Public Health and completed my academic Specialty Registrar training. I passed the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Examination (ISFE) in April 2014 and began in my current role as a Senior Lecturer / Hon. Consultant in Dental Public Health in November 2014.
- BMedSci (Hons) Bachelor of Medical Science, First Class (Newcastle University, 2001)
- BDS (Hons) Bachelor of Dental Surgery (Honours) (Newcastle University, 2002)
- MFDS RCS Membership Examination, Faculty of Dental Surgery (2005)
- MPH Master of Public Health (Manchester University, 2009)
- PhD Doctor of Philosophy (Newcastle University, 2012)
- FFPH Fellow, Faculty of Public Health (Royal Colleges of Physicians UK, 2015)
- FHEA Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA, 2015)
- FDS(DPH)RCPSG Fellow in Dental Surgery (Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow 2016)
- General Dental Practitioner / Community Dental Officer (2002-2005)
- Clinical Fellow, Newcastle University (2005-2006)
- NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow / Specialist Registrar in Dental Public Health (2006-2009)
- NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow, Newcastle University (2009-2012)
- NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer / Specialty Registrar in Dental Public Health (2012-2014)
- International Society on Priorities in Health Care
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry (BASCD)
- European Association of Dental Public Health (EADPH)
- The North of England Odontological Society (NEOS) (Past-President 2013-14)
- Faculty of Public Health, The Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Member, Dental Workforce Strategy Group (Health Education England - North East)
- British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry - BASCD Council, Research Lead
I am the lead academic at Newcastle University for Dental Public Health.
- Stage 3 Director, BSc in Oral & Dental Health Sciences (UCAS code: A207)
- Admissions Tutor, BSc in Oral & Dental Health Sciences degree programme
- Chair of Board of Examiners, Stage 3, BSc in Oral & Dental Health Sciences
- Senior Tutor
- Personal Tutor - BDS students
- UKCAT Consortium Representative for Dentistry (Newcastle University)
- Lead for Dental Public Health assessment (BDS & BSc degree programmes)
- Member, Stage 5 BDS Board of Examiners Sub-committee
- Member, Stage 3 Part II BDS Board of Examiners Sub-committee
- Member/interviewer, BDS and BSc Admissions Panels, School of Dental Sciences
- Member, Faculty of Medical Sciences Undergraduate Admissions and Student Recruitment Sub-Group
- Co-lead for Newcastle University-Indiana University (USA) initiative in dental education (2016)
- Member, Curriculum Committee, MSc in Orthodontics
1. BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
- Academic teaching input into Stages 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 BDS
- Course Lead, 'Dentistry, the Dentist & Public Health' Stages 2, 3, 4 & 5 BDS
2. BSc (Bachelor of Science in Oral & Dental Health Sciences)
- Course Lead, 'Evidence-Based Practice and Public Health', Stage 1 BSc
- Course Lead, 'Critical Appraisal & Academic Writing', Stage 2, BSc
Research & Epidemiology study days (Foundation Dentists) commissioned by Health Education England North East
MSc in Orthodontics
Clinical Implant Dentistry PGDip
Oral health services research: My PhD research focused upon decision-making and priority setting tools in NHS dentistry with respect to a need for the rational use of scarce resources at local levels. I have been involved in work relating to the evaluation of, and findings from, the current dental contract reform programme in England. I have a particular interest in how original research can influence health policy at a national level.
Oral health epidemiology: I was a clinical examiner in the national Adult Dental Health Survey (2009) and more recently I co-authored several formal reports arising from data generated by the national Children's Dental Health Survey (2013).
Qualitative research: I have experience with a variety of qualitative research techniques involving a diverse range of groups in the population. Past research has included patient groups, clinicians and NHS commissioners.
Dental education: I am interested in dental educational research linked to the widening participation agenda in higher education, the training and assessment of dental students, therapists and hygienists, and developing internationalisation and collaborative educational opportunities within the dental undergraduate curriculum.
- British Dental Journal
- BDJ Open
- Community Dental Health
- BMC Oral Health
- Health & Care Research Wales (Research for Patient & Public Benefit) Programme
Postgraduate Academic Supervision:
Various PhD / MSc / MPH students, taught research post-graduate dentists, 2x public health trainees (StR's) and 1x academic dental public health StR.
Postgraduate Academic Examination:
MClinDent in Restorative Dentistry
- Holmes RD. No evidence to support or refute the benefits of school dental screening. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2017, 18(3), 66-67.
- Holmes RD, Kowolik JE, Schrader SM, Waterhouse PJ. The Newcastle-Indiana Experience: A Transatlantic Educational Initiative for Dental Students. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California, USA: International Association for Dental Research.
- Rutter J, Cunningham K, Holmes RD, Maguire A, Innes NP, Douglas GV, Clarkson J, Freeman R, McColl E, Robertson M, Marshman Z. FiCTION: Filling Children's Teeth: Indicated or Not? Qualitative Research Protocol. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California, USA: International Association for Dental Research.
- Holmes RD. Psychology of behaviour change is key to effective oral health promotion. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2016, 17, 70-71.
- Holmes RD, Porter J, Devapal L, White DA. Patterns of care and service use amongst children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(8), 509-514.
- Holmes R, Porter J, Vernazza C, Tsakos G, Ryan R, Dennes M. Children’s Dental Health Survey 2013. Country specific report: England. Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2015.
- Ravaghi V, Holmes RD, Steele JG, Tsakos G. The impact of oral conditions on children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(4), 173-178.
- Holmes RD. Tooth brushing frequency and risk of new carious lesions. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2016, 17(4), 98-99.
- Porter J, Holmes R, Vernazza C, Chadwick B, Ryan R, Dennes M. Children’s Dental Health Survey 2013. Country specific report: Wales. Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2015.
- Murray JJ, Vernazza CR, Holmes RD. Forty Years of National Surveys: An overview of children's dental health from 1973-2013. British Dental Journal 2015, 219(6), 281-285.
- Holmes RD, Steele JG, Donaldson C, Exley C. Learning from contract change in primary care dentistry: A qualitative study of stakeholders in the north of England. Health Policy 2015, 119(9), 1218-1225.
- Stone SJ, Holmes RD, Heasman PA, McCracken GI. Continuing professional development and application of knowledge from research findings: a qualitative study of general dental practitioners. British Dental Journal 2014, 216(11), E23.
- Holmes RD, Exley C. Findings - Dentists, the clinical pathway and I.T. decision support. In: Steele JG, ed. NHS dental contract pilots - Learning after first two years of piloting. London: Department of Health, 2014, pp.41-50.
- Holmes R, Howe D, Landes DP. Dental Public Health in Action - Oral health education and disease prevention in primary dental care: Insight from a pilot intervention targeting children aged 0-7 years in northeast England. Community Dental Health 2013, 30, 134-137.
- Wilson K, Bouchiba M, Vithlani G, Holmes R. Patient satisfaction with oral urgent treatment (OUT) in North West Tanzania. British Dental Journal 2013, 215(3), 131-134.
- Landes DP, Holmes RD. Dental Practice Populations: The effect of distance on the most socially deprived communities accessing dental care in the north east of England. Public Health 2012, 126(5), 424-426.
- Wilson KE, Wilson I, Holmes RD. Oral Urgent Treatment (OUT) - A Volunteer led Training Programme in North West Tanzania. British Dental Journal 2012, 212(9), 443-448.
- Holmes RD, Waterhouse PJ, Maguire A, Hind V, Lloyd J, Tabari D, Lowry R. Developing an assessment in dental public health for clinical undergraduates attending a primary dental care outreach programme. European Journal of Dental Education 2011, 15(1), 19-25.
- Holmes RD, Steele J, Exley C, Donaldson C. Managing resources in NHS dentistry: using health economics to inform commissioning decisions. BMC Health Services Research 2011, 11, 138.
- Holmes RD, Bate A, Steele JG, Donaldson C. Commissioning NHS dentistry in England: Issues for decision-makers managing the new contract with finite resources. Health Policy 2009, 91(1), 79-88.
- Holmes RD, Donaldson C, Exley C, Steele JG. Managing resources in NHS dentistry: the views of decision-makers in primary care organisations. British Dental Journal 2008, 205(6), -.
- Holmes RD, Girdler NM. A study to assess the validity of clinical judgement in determining paediatric dental anxiety and related outcomes of management. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2005, 15(3), 169-176.
- Holmes RD, Girdler NM. Dental Anxiety in Children: Subjective versus objective assessment. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(Special Issue C), 2003.