Dr Simon Stone
Senior Clinical Lecturer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8515
Newcastle University, BDS
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, MFDS RCS(Ed)
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, MEndo RCS(Ed)
Newcastle University, Newcastle Teaching Award
Newcastle University, PhD
General Dental Council (GDC) UK
Senior Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry
Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry/Honorary StR in Endodontology, Newcastle University/Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Invited lecturer, Health Education North East.
Clinical Fellow in Restorative Dentistry, Newcastle University.
General Dental Practitioner, South Tyneside.
Locum General Dental Practitioner, County Durham.
General Professional Trainee County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust.
Honours and Awards
General Dental Council prize for professionalism
Dental Protection elective protocol awards
Newcastle University, undergraduate prize for aesthetic dentistry
Northern Deanery, vocational training practice project prize
Teaching and scholarship
· Clinical supervision of undergraduate BDS students in restorative dentistry, specifically periodontology, conservation, endodontics, prosthodontics and adult restorative clinics.
· Delivery of undergraduate key clinical skills and endodontology skills courses involving demonstration of clinical dentistry, didactic instruction and assessment of course progress by written and practical assessment.
· Delivery of undergraduate BDS lectures and seminars in restorative dentistry to all stages.
· Member of the BDS admissions panel.
· Examiner in the Newcastle University professional BDS examinations.
· Member of the Staff-Student committees.
· Delivery of clinical skills teaching and development of clinical progress assessments in the Masters in Clinical Dentistry programme.
· Delivery of Dental Core Training postgraduate lectures, specifically in local anaesthesia, rubber dam and endodontics, embryology, oral pathology, legislation in primary care and modern dental careers.
· Delivery of General Professional Training lectures in restorative dentistry, specifically contemporary endodontics and endodontic troubleshooting, prosthodontics troubleshooting and peri-implantitis.
· Provision of lectures and demonstration of clinical skills for Health Education England (formerly Northern Deanery) to general dental practitioners, specifically contemporary endodontics and rubber dam use.
· Provision of benchmarking and training sessions for associate clinical lecturers and Dental Hospital staff.
· Development and delivery of a study skills group in restorative dentistry for general dental practitioners.
· Registered Dentsply Maillefer Educator.
Dental Care Professional
· Clinical supervision of integrated periodontal care clinics to diploma of hygiene and therapy students.
· Examiner in the Diploma of Hygiene and Therapy professional examinations.
· Development, delivery and assessment, through Health Education England, extended skills courses for dental nurses, specifically impression taking and placement of rubber dam.
Pastoral support as a personal tutor for undergraduate BDS students, hygiene-therapy students and Masters in Clinical Dentistry students.
Barclay, S. C., Stone, S. J. (2013). Chapter 3 Conservative Dentistry in Master Dentistry, 3rd Edition Volume 2: Restorative Dentistry, Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics. Edited by Heasman, P.A. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. ISBN: 9780702045974.
PhD: 'Translational studies to evaluate plaque control interventions'
Stone, S. J., McCracken, G. I., Kumar, P. S., Offenbacher, S., Aspiras, M., De Laurenti, M., Heasman, P. A. (2013). Characterising gingivitis with inflammatory mediators and microbial species. Presented at the general session of the International Association of Dental Research, Seattle, WA, USA.
Stone, S. J. Investigating the cost-effectiveness of providing hygiene phase therapy to patients with desquamative gingivitis (2011). Presented at the British Society for Oral and Dental Research, General Session, Sheffield, UK.
Referee for manuscripts and books submitted to:
Journal of Dentistry
Journal of Oral Surgery
Journal of Clinical Periodontology
European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry.
Industrial collaboration with Philips Oral Healthcare
Oral and dental research trust grant
- Stone SJ, Holmes RD, Heasman PA, McCracken GI. Continuing professional development and application of knowledge from research findings: a qualitative study of general dental practitioners. British Dental Journal 2014, 216(11), E23.
- Stone SJ, Paleri V, Staines KS. Internal carotid artery aneurysm presenting as dental and orofacial pain. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2012, 126(8), 851-853.
- Stone SJ, McCracken GI, Staines KS, Heasman P. Evaluating plaque control interventions on gingival lichen planus. In: IADR 92nd General Session. 2014, Cape Town, South Africa: International Association for Dental Research.
- Stone SJ, McCracken GI, Kumar P, Offenbacher S, Aspiras M, Delauranti M, Heasman PA. Characterising gingivitis with inflammatory mediators and microbial species. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session and Exhibition 2013. 2013, Seattle, Washington: J Dent Res 90 (Spec Iss A).
- Stone SJ, Heasman PA, Staines KS, McCracken GI. The impact of structured plaque control for patients with gingival manifestations of oral lichen planus: a randomized controlled study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2015, 42(4), 356-362.
- Currie CC, Stone SJ, Connolly J, Durham J. Dental Pain in the Medical Emergency Department: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Al-Musawi M, Durham J, Whitworth JM, Stone SJ, Nixdorf DR, Valentine RA. Effect of topical neuromodulatory medications on oral and skin keratinocytes. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Nixdorf DR, Stone SJ, Robinson L, Durham J. Initial assessment of the persistent dentoalveolar pain disorder screening instrument. In: IADR/APR 94th General Session & Exhibition 2016. 2016, Seoul, South Korea.
- Al-Musawi MJ, Durham J, Whitworth JM, Stone SJ, Valentine RA. In Vitro Effects of Topical Neuromodulatory Medication on Orofacial Tissue. In: IADR/AADR/CADR 93rd General Session and Exhibition 2015. 2015, Boston, MA, USA.
- Stone SJ. It's complicated. Riskmatters 2015, (30), 10-12.
- Currie CC, Stone SJ, Durham J. Pain and problems: a prospective cross-sectional study of the impact of dental emergencies. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2015, 42(12), 883-889.
- Field J, Stone S, Orsini C, Hussain A, Vital S, Crothers A, Walmsley D. Curriculum content and assessment of pre-clinical dental skills: A survey of undergraduate dental education in Europe. European Journal of Dental Education 2017, Epub ahead of print.