We are at the forefront of improvements in education, speech and language therapy and communication.
Research in the School is wide ranging. It addresses theoretical as well as professional issues and a significant proportion is:
Research activities fall within three inter-related groups:
Within each group, there are some smaller research clusters. Each research cluster has a specific focus. Academic staff and research students work in each cluster.
Postgraduate supervisionPostgraduate supervision
This is the largest School in the University. The majority of its students are postgraduates, so there is a thriving research culture.
We currently have more than 140 postgraduate research students in the School. Facilities include:
- dedicated office space equipped with PCs for PhD students
- a resource centre
- computer clusters available to all postgraduate researchers
The School has a PhD Support Group run by students. There is an annual School conference for researchers. We publish an electronic journal of research student work (ARECLS).
Several research events open to staff and research students run in the School, including:
- seminars in Speech and Language Sciences Programme
- seminars in Education and Communication Programme
- the Education, Communication and Language Sciences Postgraduate Research Group
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences provides research training. It hosts postgraduate events.