Dr Alina Schartner
Lecturer in Applied Linguistics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: + 44 (0) 191 208 8567
- Address: Room 2.24
School of ECLS
King George VI Building
Queen Victoria Road
I was appointed Lecturer in Applied Linguistics at Newcastle University in June 2015, having previously worked as a Research Associate at the Research Centre for Learning and Teaching (CfLaT).
After graduating with an undergraduate degree in Political Science from the University of Salzburg, I worked for 2 years in an education services agency in Austria. I then went on to study for an MA in Cross-Cultural Communication and Education at Newcastle University. I subsequently studied for a PhD at ECLS, investigating the adjustment and adaptation of international postgraduate students in the UK. I completed my PhD in February 2014.I am an active member of the Intercultural Communication Special Interest Group of the British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL), and the International Association of Language and Social Psychology (IALSP). For the latter, I have been secretary since 2013.
My research interests include the internationalisation of higher education, especially international student adjustment and adaptation, as well as the social psychology of communication. I am also interested in the role of 'culture' in professional communication and the concept of intercultural competence.
Currently, I am working on the following research projects:
- Intercultural experiences of first-year undergraduate students on an 'internationalising university experience' module
- The effect of cross-cultural communication education on international students' adjustment and adaptation to life and study in the UK
- Intercultural communication as a graduate attribute: a needs analysis among engineering students and university staff in the UK and Japan
- Optimising medical education about dementia communication in the UK and Malaysia
I currently supervise the following PhD projects:
- Cross-cultural adaptation of Saudi Arabian international ESL students in UK higher education, Fatimah Alsaadi
- Cross-cultural adaptation and identity change: a study of Asian student sojourners in the UK, Hanh Pho
- Postgraduate students' development of intercultural competence in a British university: interdisciplinary perspectives, Yuwei Liang
- Factors contributing to the successful process of international students psychological, sociocultural and academic adjustment in a Thai university, Nattaya Srisakda
- International students: the jewel in the crown for higher education in preparing the global leader, Joanne Rush
- The motivators and barriers to students' and lecturers' efforts in teaching and learning in Nigerian universities, Adaoma Menkiti
- Evaluative language of brand personality in pre and post-1992 UK university websites, Tao Tongvivat
- An investigation into the pedagogical interventions/approaches which are more effective in improving the personal creativity of international higher education business students, John Reilly O'Donnell
In the academic year 2016-17 I am module leader for:
- CCC8077 Professional Communication Skills (Semester 2)
- CCC2010 Professional Communication Skills (Semester 1)
- EDU1004 Internationalising University Experience (Semesters 1 and 2)
I also contribute lectures to the following modules:
- CCC8001 Social Psychology of Communication: 'Personality, social psychology and intercultural communication' and 'Identity, adjustment and acculturation'
- CCC8026 Research Methods in Cross-Cultural Communication: 'Engaging critically with literature', 'Thematic content analysis', and 'Collecting and analysing survey data'
- ALT8001 Research Methods in Applied Linguistics: 'Collecting and analysing survey data'
- Young TJ, Tullo ES, Schartner A. How transculturally appropriate is person-centred communication in the care people living with dementia? Perspectives of medical students in the UK and Malaysia. In: The 67th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (ICA 2017). 2017, San Diego, California: ICA.
- Young TJ, Tullo ET, Schartner A. Person-Centred communication and the care of people with dementia: exploring the perspectives of medical students in the UK and Malaysia. In: 17th Alzheimer's Association International Conference. 2017, London, UK. In Press.
- Young TJ, Handford M, Schartner A. The Internationalising University – An Intercultural Endeavour?. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 2017, 38(3), 189-191.
- Young TJ, Schartner A, Brandt A. Cross-Cultural Communication and Engineering Education. In: Invited talk to Tokyo University staff and Japanese Engineering Employers. 2016.
- Schartner A, Cho Y. 'Empty signifiers' and 'dreamy ideals'. Perceptions of the 'international university' among higher education students and staff at a British university. Higher Education 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Young TJ, Schartner A, Tullo E. Intergroup and intercultural perspectives on communication and living with dementia. In: British Association for Applied Linguistics Intercultural Communication SIG Annual Seminar. 2016, Open University, London.
- Young TJ, Schartner A, Brandt A. Internationalisation of Higher Education: A UK Perspective. In: Invited talk to Tokyo University staff. 2016, Tokyo University, Japan.
- Young TJ, Tullo ES, Schartner A. Person-Centred communication and the care of people living with dementia: exploring the perspectives of medical students in the UK and Malaysia. In: 15th International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP15). 2016, Bangkok, Thailand: International Association of Language and Social Psychology.
- Schartner A. The effect of study abroad on intercultural competence: a longitudinal case study of international postgraduate students at a British university. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 2016, 37(4), 402-418.
- Young TJ, Handford M, Schartner A. The internationalising university: an intercultural endeavour?. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Schartner A, Young TJ. The Internationalising University: An Intercultural Endeavour? Perspectives From Around the Globe. In: International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP15). 2016, University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Schartner A, Young TJ. Towards an integrated conceptual model of international student adjustment and adaptation. European Journal of Higher Education 2016, 6(4), 372-386.
- Young TJ, Walsh S, Schartner A. Which English? Whose English? Teachers’ beliefs, attitudes and practices. London: British Council, 2016. ELT Research Papers 16.04.
- Schartner A. A longitudinal case study of the cross-cultural adjustment and adaptation of international postgraduate students in the UK. In: European Conference on Educational Research. 2015, Corvinus University, Budapest, Hungary.
- Schartner A, Young TJ. Culture Shock or Love at First Sight? Exploring the 'Honeymoon' Stage of the International Student Sojourn. In: Fabricius, AH; Preisler, B, ed. Transcultural Interaction and Linguistic Diversity in Higher Education. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan, 2015, pp.12-33.
- Young TJ, Schartner A. Does Cross-Cultural Communication Education ‘work’? An Investigation of International Higher Education Students in the U.K. In: World Conference on Education. 2015, Dublin. In Press.
- Schartner A, Cho Y. Perceptions of ‘internationalisation at home’ and ‘global citizenship’ among higher education students and staff. In: 48th Annual Meeting of the British Association for Applied Linguistics. 2015, Aston University, Birmingham.
- Athanasopoulos P, Bylund E, Montero-Melis G, Damjanovic L, Schartner A, Kibbe A, Riches N, Thierry G. Two languages, two minds: Flexible cognitive processing driven by language of operation. Psychological Science 2015, 26(4), 518-526.
- Schartner A. 'You cannot talk with all of the strangers in a pub': a longitudinal case study of international postgraduate students' social ties at a British university. Higher Education 2015, 69(2), 225-241.
- Schartner A. Are we really communicating cross-culturally? The learning and teaching experiences of international postgraduate students on a MA programme in Cross-cultural Communication. In: 7th Annual NE Universities (3 Rivers Consortium) Regional Learning and Teaching Conference. 2014, Collingwood College, Durham University.
- Young TJ, Schartner A. Sojourner Adjustment, Adaptation and Performance and the Study of Inter/Cross-Cultural Communication. In: Annual Seminar of the British Association for Applied Linguistics Special Interest Group in Intercultural Communication. 2014, Edinburgh University: British Association for Applied Linguistics.
- Young TJ, Schartner A. The effects of cross-cultural communication education on international students' adjustment and adaptation. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 2014, 35(6), 547-562.
- Young TJ, Schartner A, Windeatt S. The Internationalizing University: An Intercultural Endeavor? Retrospective accounts of the 'international student experience'. In: The 14th International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP). 2014, Honolulu, Hawaii: Department of Communicology, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Wright C, Schartner A. ‘I can’t...I won’t?’ International students at the threshold of social interaction. Journal of Research in International Education 2013, 12(2), 113-128.
- Schartner A. ‘I don’t need the British to communicate in English.’ A longitudinal analysis of international postgraduate students’ social networks. In: 46th Annual Meeting of the British Association of Applied Linguistics. 2013, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
- Young TJ, Schartner A. 'After all this I try to not put people in a box': The effects of cross-cultural communication education on academic adjustment and adaptation. In: 46th Annual Meeting of the British Association of Applied Linguistics. 2013, Herriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
- Young TJ, Sercombe PG, Sachdev I, Naeb R, Schartner A. Success factors for international postgraduate students' adjustment: exploring the roles of intercultural competence, language proficiency, social contact and social support. European Journal of Higher Education 2013, 3(2), 151-171.
- Schartner A. From the decision to study abroad to the arrival in the host country: Exploring the role of pre-arrival factors in the international student experience. In: 13th International Conference of Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP). 2012, Leeuwarden, the Netherlands.
- Wright C, Schartner A. 'I can’t...I won't?' International students at the threshold of social interaction. In: 45th Annual Meeting of the British Association of Applied Linguistics. 2012, University of Southampton: British Association of Applied Linguistics.