Executive Director of North Leadership Centre, Senior Lecturer in Education (Educational Leadership)
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8453
- Address: Newcastle University
School of Education, Communication
& Language Sciences
King George VI Building
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
For general enquiries about the North Leadership Centre contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
René Koglbauer is Senior Lecturer in the School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences (ECLS) and Executive Director of the North Leadership Centre (www.northleadershipcentre.co.uk) as well as Director of Network for Languages North East (www.northleadershipcentre.co.uk/languages.html). The North Leadership Centre is also member of the North East Teaching Schools Partnership (www.netsp.co.uk), which offers the National Professional Qualification programmes for school leadership in the North East. René is a member of the NETSP board representing Newcastle University. René also acts as a degree programme director of a number of academic programmes at masters level and for the PGCert in Educational Leadership. For his work in higher education, René was made Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in June 2017.
René joined Newcastle University in 2010 as a member of the initial teacher training team, following a career in secondary schools as head of department/faculty, Head of Careers and school governor in the South East of England. During his time in the South East, René was also a lead practitioner for the local authority with a focus on assessment for learning and languages. René is the UK representative to the International German Teacher Association and the Chair of Board of Trustees of the subject organisation Association for Language Learning. From 2014 to 2016, he was President of the Association for Language Learning.
Over the last six years he has been actively involved in strategic developments at school, faculty and university level. As teacher educator, René took over the North Leadership Centre in September 2013. The Centre is known for its involvement in school leadership development in the North East as well as leadership and management programmes for businesses in the region, nationally and internationally. René was Co-Investigator on an Erasmus+ project: Entrepreneurial Competences for School Leadership Teams (www.ec4slt.com). René is one of the academic leads of the university-wide development programme "Faculty Futures".
While teaching in secondary schools, René completed an MBA in Educational Leadership at Keele University. Currently, René’s scholarly interests lie in a number of educational fields: leadership for learning, development of middle/senior leadership, governance, student leadership, teacher training, pedagogy and curriculum development, continuous professional development, technology and its pedagogical application in the classroom, school policy, language policy as well as international school development.
Current roles within the university:
Executive Director of North Leadership Centre www.northleadershipcentre.co.uk
Director of Network for Languages North East www.northleadershipcentre.co.uk
Degree Programme Director for employer-based PGCE
Degree Programme Director PGCert Educational Leadership
Chair of Board of Examiner (Education)
Member of the North East Teaching Schools Partnership board www.netsp.co.uk
Member of the University Engagement Committee
Member of the HaSS Faculty Promotion Committee (2016-2019)
Independent Chair of Selection Panels across academic units in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Previous roles within the university:
- Acting Head of School (2015-2016)
- Deputy Head of School and Director of Operations (2014-15)
- NETSP Programme Director (North East Teaching Schools Partnership)
- Degree Programme Director of Secondary PGCE
- Degree Programme Director of MEd (fulltime)
- Degree Programme Director MEd Practitioner Enquiry (Leadership)
- Pathway Leader MEd (Pedagogy and Learning)
- Member of HaSS Faculty's Opportunities Group
- Member of university-wide PGT Task and Finish Group
Membership and Fellowships:
- Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- BELMAS (British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society)
- Associate Member of the Chartered College for Teaching
- Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors
- Member of NCTL (National College for Teaching and Leadership)
- UCET: Member of the Executive Board (since 2015), Member of International Committee (2011-2013)
- UCML: co-opted member of executive board (since 2016)
- Association for Language Learning (ALL) www.all-languages.org.uk: Chair of Board of Trustees (since 2016), President (2014-2016), President Elect (2014), Trustee and Honorary Finance Officer (2011-2014); ALL's Initial Teacher Education SIG (since 2013)
- IDV e.V. (International German Teacher Association): founding Member and UK representative
- Core Member of CfLAT (Centre for learning and Teaching)
- School Governor / Vice-Chair of School Governing Body (2005-2011)
Academic/Scientific Advisory Boards:
- Member of the resolution committee "Freiburger Resolution zur Sprachenpolitik"
- Member of academic advisory board for the "Sprachen lehren - Sprachen lernen" series, published by Frank&Timme
- DAAD German Translation competition (since 2014)
- European Language Label (2011, 2012)
- European Day of Languages Competition (since 2012)
- Language Teacher of the Year Award / Routes into Languages Ambassador Award (2015, 2016)
In December 2013, René was interviewed by Rosie Goldsmith for the Goethe Institut London on education in the UK, Germany and Austria as well as language learning. For more details see here: http://www.goethe.de/ins/gb/lp/kul/dug/dop/kom/enindex.htm
- Language Policy - An international language policy resolution for German.
- Language Policy - with a particular focus on the diverse nature of the UK.
- Literature in the new A-level languages curriculum (forthcoming OUP publications)
- Erasmus+: EC4SLT - Entrepreneurial Competences for School Leadership Teams (2014-2016) www.ec4slt.com
- DfE / Association for Language Learning: ALL Connect https://allconnectblog.wordpress.com
- Tyneside Cinema Language Days
- Video-conferencing and language learning (partner school: Stokesley School)
- "Auf Deutsch" - German GCSE website: project led by Goethe Institute London: www.aufdeutsch.co.uk
- Various publishing projects
- Target Culture in the Language Classroom
- German GCSE/A-level days in partnership with the Goethe Institute CfBT Project: German Grammar Teaching
- European funded project in cooperation with the Goethe Institut, London.
- Doppelgänger-project with the Goethe Institut London
Invited Keynotes, panels, workshops (in selection):
- Prince's Teaching Institute: MFL Residential (Oxford, UK): invited panellist (language policy, recruitment, assessment)
- University of Vienna, Department of English (Vienna, A): "Assessment for Learning - a key aspect for the English language classroom" (workshop)
- University of Vienna, Zentrum für LehrerInnenbildung (Vienna, A: "Assessment for Learning – the answer to all problems in assessing learning?" (Keynote)
- Inside Government, MFL Forum (London, UK): The Future of Modern Foreign Languages in Primary and Secondary Education.
- ALL London: "Practical solutions for all - in language teaching" (Keynote)
- Goethe Institute, London; annual German Day: Opening Keynote
Current supervision focus at doctorate level:
- any aspects of educational leadership/management
iPHD: Saleh, A.
EdD: Armstrong, J.
- any aspects of language policy, language learning
In the last couple of years, dissertations in the following areas were supervised:
- Educational Leadership / Management
- Testing, Assessment, Assessment for Learning
- Educational Policy (UK and international)
- Thinking Skills, Thinking Maps
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Subject Pedagogy specific: in various secondary subjects
- Primary and Secondary School Pedagogy (including SEND/G&T)
- Language Teaching, Learning and Pedagogy
- Curriculum Design: Curriculum as Written, Taught and Experienced
- Practitioner Enquiry research projects
Recent MEd/MA/MRes dissertations supervised include (in selection):
- Saleh, Aram (2017): The impact of private schools on educational process in Iraqi Kurdistan.
- McShane, J. (2016): What were the drivers behind the movement of Initial Teacher Education from University training towards a school-led system? A Case Study.
- Myers, R. (2015): Maximising the effectiveness of Teaching Assistants through strategic leadership.
- Robinson, R. (2015): After-school provision: Entrepreneurial Projects - How do they impact on student learning?
- Tu, Q. (2015): Which factors make educational leaders in Training Schools in China be perceived as having stronger leadership ability?
- Dempster, K. (2014): The Australian Director of Studies: doing the work that matters in the ELT business.
- Nickols, S. (2014): Do students, and members of the wider society in Finland appreciate education more than students, and members of the wider society in England?
- Wu, Y. (2014): Women's perspectives on female educational leadership in China: a case study of one university in China.
- Burlinson, C. (2014): Initial Teacher Training. A critical reflection on my journey towards Twiselton's concept builder.
- Depew, S. (2013): Teacher evaluation enhances professional development.
- Ferguson, K. (2013): What does an ideal sixth form curriculum look like for a student with autism?
- Moktal, R. (2013): Case study of a Bruneian primary school headteacher: theory and practice.
- Robson, M. (2013): A school based case study into the impact and perceptions of collaborative practice on teaching and learning, considering pedagogical links to coaching, management and leadership.
- Sirett, A. (2013): What is the role of students in the improvement process of teaching and learning?
- Sutherland, S. (2012): An investigation into independent learning in ICT post-16 level.
- Stottart, E. (2012): How can thinking maps be used to improve essay writing in KS5 Modern Languages?
- EDU1003 - British and Comparative Education (20 credits, stage 1)
- EDU 2001 - Pedagogies (20 credits, stage 2) session focusing on language pedagogy
- SML4003 - Communicating and Teaching Languages for Language Ambassadors (20 credits, stage 4)
- EDU8172 – Leadership and Strategic Management (20 credits, semester 1)
- EDU8130 – NPQH Accreditation (60 credits, all year)
- EDU – NPQSL Accreditation (40 credits, all year)
- EDU – NPQML Accreditation (20 credits, all year)
- Employer-based PGCE modules
- EDU8599 – Research Dissertation/Research-based Portfolio (60 credits, semesters 2 and 3), supervision
- Contribution to the secondary PGCE and employer-based PGCE programme.
- Subject Leadership for Aspiring Leaders (end of PGCE programme focus day)
Current roles in Teaching and Learning
- Strategic Lead in collaboration with heads of sections, DELT and DPDs
- Chair of Board of Examiners: BA, Education, PGT, PGR, Educational Psychologist programmes
- Senior Tutor
- DPD PG Cert in Educational Leadership
- DPD employer-based PGCE
Previously taught modules / programmes
- EDU8033 – Investigating Educational Leadership (40 credits, semester 2)
- EDU8031 – Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment as Foundations of Teaching and Learning (20 credits, semester 1)
- Secondary PGCE - MFL: Curriculum Sessions, German Subject Specific Sessions, Professional Learning in Context seminars, various lectures QTS standards assessments, Ofsted preparation;
- Out-posted MEd Leadership & Action Research modules
Previous roles in Teaching and Learning
- Deputy DPD PGCE Secondary programme
- DPD PGCE Secondary programme
- DPD MA Education: International Perspectives
- DPD MEd Practitioner Enquiry (Leadership)
- Pathway Leader MA Education: International Perspectives (Leadership and Management)
- Module leader of EDU8172, EDU8033, SML4003
- Koglbauer R. Language Teacher Supply: The Vicious Cycle, the Effects of the EU Referendum and Attempts to Solve Supply Shortage. In: Kelly M, ed. Languages after Brexit : How the UK Speaks to the World. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. In Press.
- Koglbauer R. Die Freiburger Resolution. Goethe Institut, 2017. Available at: https://www.goethe.de/de/spr/mag/idt/frr.html.
- Koglbauer R. Languages - vitally important for our future generation and the future of our country. nace insight 2017, Spring 2017, Issue 101, 1.
- Hepp M, Jarzakek AD, Koglbauer R. Sprachpolitisches Handeln von Verbänden. International German Teacher Association, IDT Organisation Team, 2017.
- Koglbauer R. The Fribourg Resolution. Goethe Institut, 2017. Available at: https://www.goethe.de/en/spr/mag/idt/frr.html.
- Claro J, Gordon AL, Koglbauer R, Pellon M, Shanks D. The Head of Languages Handbook. Leicester: Association for Language Learning, 2017.
- Koglbauer R. ALL President's Blog. ALL President René Koglbauer ponders the assessment dilemma. Languages Today 2016, Summer 2016(23), 23.
- Koglbauer R. BREXIT - initial thoughts on effects on our schools. BERA, 2016. Available at: https://www.bera.ac.uk/blog/brexit-initial-thoughts-on-effects-on-our-schools.
- Koglbauer R, Andersen E, Stewart S. Communicating and teaching languages: a module for life. In: Corradini, E; Borthwick, K; Gallagher-Brett, A, ed. Employability for languages: a handbook. Dublin, Ireland: Research-publishing.net, 2016, pp.103-111.
- Koglbauer R. European Day of Languages Competition goes national. Languages Today 2016, Summer 2016(23), 5.
- Koglbauer R. ALL President's Blog. Languages Today 2015, Autumn 2015(21), 21.
- Koglbauer R. The challenges and realities of implementing compulsory language learning in schools. NISR, 2015. Available at: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/nisr/2015/06/29/the-challenges-and-realities-of-implementing-compulsory-language-learning-in-schools/.
- Koglbauer R, Butterfield H, Reid C. Webinar on Routes into Language Teaching. Routes into Language, 2015. Available at: https://www.routesintolanguages.ac.uk/live.
- Koglbauer R. Die Wand (2012). Study Guide. 2014.
- Koglbauer R. Technology a Revelation for Language Learning Pedagogy?. Sanako Platform - The Newsletter of Sanako UK 2014.
- Koglbauer R. As 21st century educators, we must develop greater synergy between knowledge, pedagogy and technology. Learning and Teaching Update 2013, 64.
- Koglbauer R. Das Wunder von Bern. Study Guide. 2013. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Tyneside Cinema.
- Koglbauer R, Goldsmith R. Doppelgänger Three: The Great Education Debate. London, UK: Goethe Institute, 2013.
- Koglbauer R. Getting English Education Right. Teaching, Learning & Pastoral Hub 2013.
- Koglbauer R, Black L. Innovationen im Deutschunterricht: Neue Medien und ein pädagogischer Denkansatz. Deutsch: Lehren und Lernen 2013, (47).
- Koglbauer R. Social Networks In the Classroom. Learning and Teaching Update 2013, 51. In Press.
- Koglbauer R. Wer Wenn Nicht Wir? Study Guide. 2013. Newcastle, UK: Tyneside Cinema; Routes into Languages.
- Koglbauer R, Schroth S. Das Leben der Anderen. Study Guide. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyneside Cinema, 2012.
- Koglbauer R. Developing leadership qualities in children and young people. Learning and Teaching Update 2012, (59), 10-11.
- Koglbauer R. Brief eines österreichischen Bären über das englische Schulsystem. Ausblicke 32. Zeitschrift für österreichische Kultur und Sprache 2011, 32, 14-15.
- Koglbauer R. Learning Walks: Sharing of good practice. London: Optimus Education, 2011. Available at: http://www.optimus-education.com/learning-walks-sharing-good-practice.
- Hennebry M, Koglbauer R. Ten Minute Guide to M-level CPD in North East HEI. University of Southampton: Links into Languages, 2011. Available at: http://www.linksintolanguages.ac.uk/resources.
- Grundy V, Rollin N, Vennebusch E, Warren H, Wehmeier S, ed. Oxford Learner's German Dictionary. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Koglbauer R. German e-learning KS4: 100 grammar slides. Oxford: Boardwoarks, 2008. CD Rom.
- Koglbauer R. Deutschland, Deutschland, nichts als Deutschland oder doch DACHL?. ÖDaF-Mitteilungen 2007, 2, 26-36.