Professor Brian Shaw
Director of Design Unit
Director of Business and Engagement, School of Engineering
Director of Design Unit, Gear Technology Centre, School of Engineering
Research interests are based around applying advanced characterisation methods appropriate to gear materials to provide an enhanced understanding of gear failure mechanisms that can support the development of strategies to enhance overall transmission performance. This has, for example, included better understanding of residual stresses and microstructure using combined X-ray and magnetic methods along with characterisation of surface topography influences introduced by manufacturing processes. Combining this level of understanding, along with detailed component testing under realistic running conditions (lubricant, temperature, speed, dynamic loading), has advanced the understanding of gear fatigue mechanisms and led to new approaches to enhance gear performance. This work has impacted on current ISO standards and also UK Naval Standards providing direct impact as to the way gears are designed both in the UK for defence purposes and internationally through ISO. This work continues through on-going industrial collaborative projects (IUK) and in cooperation with the British Gear Association as well as through academic links (e.g. Aachen, Bremen, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Imperial, Sheffield, Strathclyde, Tampere, Xi'an Jiaotong).
Teaching of transmission material engineering aspects including gear manufacture, characterisation and alaysis techniques, surface engineering, performance testing and failure modes to undergraduate/masters courses as well as bespoke Industrial courses often run through the British Gear Association (BGA).
Module leader (with colleagues Mr Rob Davidson, Dr Rob Frazer and Dr Tim Lisle) for:
MEC8029: Design of Mechanical Power Transmissions
MEC8030: Mechanical Power Transmissions (short course)
MEC8042: Mechanical Power Transmissions
Supervision of post graduate research degrees (PhD, MPhil).
- Yeddu HK, Shaw BA, Somers MAJ. Effect of thermal cycling on martensitic transformation and mechanical strengthening of stainless steels - A phase-field study. Materials Science and Engineering A 2017, 690, 1-5.
- Clarke A, Jamali HU, Sharif KJ, Evan HP, Frazer R, Shaw B. Effects of profile errors on lubrication performance of helical gears. Tribology International 2017, 111, 184-191.
- Lisle T, Shaw BA, Frazer RC. External spur gear root bending stress: A comparison of ISO 6336:2006, AGMA 2101-D04, ANSYS finite element analysis and strain gauge techniques. Mechanism and Machine Theory 2017, 111, 1-9.
- Koulin G, Zhang J, Frazer R, Wilson S, Shaw BA. Improving applied roughness measurement of involute helical gears. Measurement Science and Technology 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Liu Z, Tian G, Cao W, Dai X, Shaw B, Lambert R. Non-invasive load monitoring of induction motor drives using magnetic flux sensors. IET Power Electronics 2017, 10(2), 189-195.
- Gelman L, Kolbe S, Shaw B, Vaidhianathasamy M. Novel adaptation of the spectral kurtosis for vibration diagnosis of gearboxes in non-stationary conditions. insight 2017, 59(8), 434-439.
- Zhang J, Shaw BA. Performance of gears with WC/C coating. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Power Transmissions 2016 (ICPT 2016). 2017, Chongqing, P.R. China: CRC Press.
- Gelman L, Solinski K, Shaw B, Vaidhianathasamy M. Vibration diagnosis of a gearbox by wavelet bicoherence technology. Insight 2017, 59(8), 440-444.
- Koulin G, Sewell I, Shaw BA. Circular and Faceted Monopile Installation Fatigue Damage. Engineering 2016, 8(4), 232-244.
- Zhao L, Frazer RC, Shaw B. Comparative study of stress analysis of gears with different helix angle using the ISO 6336 standard and TCA methods. Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2016, 230(7-8), 1350-1358.
- Blaow MM, Shaw BA. Effect of excitation field strength on magnetic Barkhausen noise profile in case carburized EN 36 steel. In: 4th International Congress in Advances in Applied Physics and Materials Science (APMAS 2014). 2015, Fethiye, Turkey: American Institute of Physics.
- Al-Tubia IS, Long H, Zhang J, Shaw B. Experimental and analytical study of gear micropitting initiation and propagation under varying loading conditions. Wear 2015, 328-329, 8-16.
- Koulin G, Sewell I, Shaw BA. Faceted Monopile Design Suitable for Mass Production and Upscaling. In: ICSI 2015 The 1st International Conference on Structural Integrity. 2015, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal: Elsevier Ltd.
- Liu J, Ren W, Tian GY, Gao B, Wang YZ, Zhang J, Shaw B, Yin A, King-Alale NO. Non-destructive Evaluation of Early Contact Fatigue Using Eddy Current Pulsed Thermography. IEEE Sensors Journal 2015, 15(8), 4409-4419.
- Al-Tubi I, Long H, Tavner P, Shaw B, Zhang J. Probabilistic analysis of gear flank micro-pitting risk in wind turbine gearbox using supervisory control and data acquisition data. IET Renewable Power Generation 2015, 9(6), 610-617.
- Ma L, He R, Zhang J, Shaw B. A simple model for the study of the tolerance of interfacial crack under thermal load. Acta Mechanica 2013, 224(7), 1571-1577.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA. An observation on the initiation of micro-pitting damage in as-ground and coated gears during contact fatigue. Wear 2013, 297(1-2), 878-884.
- Evans HP, Snidle RW, Sharif KJ, Shaw BA, Zhang J. Analysis of Micro-Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication and Prediction of Surface Fatigue Damage in Micropitting Tests on Helical Gears. Journal of Tribology 2013, 135(1), 011501.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA. Contact fatigue performance of helical gears with surface coatings. Wear 2012, 276-277, 130-140.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA. Effect of as-ground surface and the BALINIT (R) C and Nb-S coatings on contact fatigue damage in gears. Tribology International 2012, 51, 61-70.
- Borisov A, Gelman L, Gryllias KC, Shaw B, Vaidhianathasamy M, Walters M. Novel comparisons of vibration and acoustic technologies for local damage detection in gearboxes. INSIGHT 2011, 53(8), 426-430.
- Zhang J, Shaw BA. The Effect of Superfinishing on the Contact Fatigue of Case Carburised Gears. Applied Mechanics and Materials 2011, 86, 348-351.
- Onsy A, Bicker R, Shaw B. A novel intelligent health monitoring system for gear fatigue failure prediction. In: Advances in Maintenance and Condition Diagnosis Technologies Towards Sustainable Society, Proc. 23rd Int. Congr. Condition Monitoring and Diagnostic Engineering Management (COMADEM). 2010, Nara, Japan: Society of Plant Engineers.
- Onsy A, Bicker R, Shaw B. Intelligent diagnostic health management of power transmission systems: An experimental validation. International Journal of COMADEM 2010, 13(2), 46-58.
- Gryllias K, Gelman L, Shaw B, Vaidhianathasamy M. Local damage diagnosis in gearboxes using novel wavelet technology. Insight: Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring 2010, 52(8), 437-442.
- Shaw BA, Aylott CJ, Oila A, Jao TC. Characterisation of microstructural transformations in micropitted gears. In: Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers Annual Meeting and Exhibition. 2009, Lake Buena Vista, FL, United states: Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers.
- Wilson JW, Tian GY, Moorthy V, Shaw BA. Magneto-Acoustic Emission and Magnetic Barkhausen Emission for Case Depth Measurement in En36 Gear Steel. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 2009, 45(1), 177-183.
- Hong T, Ooi JY, Shaw B. A numerical simulation to relate the shot peening parameters to the induced residual stresses. Engineering Failure Analysis 2008, 15(8), 1097-1110.
- Hong T, Ooi JY, Shaw BA. A numerical study of the residual stress pattern from single shot impacting on a metallic component. Advances in Engineering Software 2008, 39(9), 743-756.
- Hong T, Ooi JY, Shaw BA. A three-dimensional finite element analysis of two/multiple shots impacting on a metallic component. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 2008, 29(6), 709-729.
- Vaidhianathasamy M, Shaw BA, Bennett W, Hopkins P. Assessment of Grinding Damage on Gear Teeth using Magnetic Barkhausen Noise Measurements. In: 12th International Workshop on Electromagnetic Nondestructive Evaluation. 2008, Cardiff: IOS Press.
- Vaidhianathasamy M, Shaw BA, Bennett W, Hopkins P. Evaluation of Contact Fatigue Damage on Gears using the Magnetic Barkhausen Noise Technique. In: 12th International Workshop on Electromagnetic Nondestructive Evaluation. 2008, Cardiff: IOS Press.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA. Magnetic Barkhausen emission measurements for evaluation of material properties in gears. Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation 2008, 23(4), 317-347.
- Jao T, Guevremont J, Rollin A, Carter R, Aylott C, Shaw B. Martensite decay in gears under contact stress. In: Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers: Annual Meeting and Exhibition. 2008, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
- Petit-Renaud F, Evans JT, Metcalfe AV, Shaw BA. Optimization of a shot peening process. Journal of Materials: Design and Applications 2008, 222(4), 277-289.
- Petit-Renaud F, Evans JT, Metcalfe AV, Shaw BA. Optimization of a shot peening process. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part L: Journal of Materials: Design and Applications 2008, 222(4), 277-289.
- Blaow M, Evans JT, Shaw BA. The effect of microstructure and applied stress on magnetic Barkhausen emission in induction hardened steel. Journal of Materials Science 2007, 42(12), 4364-4371.
- Blaow M, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Effect of hardness and composition gradients on Barkhausen emission in case hardened steel. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 2006, 303(1), 153-159.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Hopkins P. Surface and subsurface stress evaluation in case-carburised steel using high and low frequency magnetic barkhausen emission measurements. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 2006, 299(2), 362-375.
- Jao TC, Rollin AJ, Carter III RO, Aylott CJ, Shaw BA. Influence of material property on micropitting and pitting behavior. In: Proceedings of the World Tribology Congress III. 2005, Washington, DC, USA: ASME.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Hopkins P. Magnetic Barkhausen emission technique for detecting the overstressing during bending fatigue in case-carburised En36 steel. NDT and E International 2005, 38(2), 159-166.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Mountford P, Hopkins P. Magnetic Barkhausen emission technique for evaluation of residual stress alteration by grinding in case-carburised En36 steel. Acta Materialia 2005, 53(19), 4997-5006.
- Blaow M, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Magnetic barkhausen noise: The influence of microstructure and deformation in bending. Acta Materialia 2005, 53(2), 279-287.
- Oila A, Shaw BA, Aylott CJ, Bull SJ. Martensite decay in micropitted gears. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology 2005, 219(2), 77-83.
- Abudaia FB, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Spherical indentation fatigue cracking. Materials Science and Engineering A 2005, 391(1-2), 181-187.
- Blaow M, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Surface decarburisation of steel detected by magnetic barkhausen emission. Journal of Materials Science 2005, 40(20), 5517-5520.
- Blaow M, Evans JT, Shaw B. Effect of deformation in bending on magnetic Barkhausen noise in low alloy steel. Materials Science and Engineering A 2004, 386(1-2), 74-80.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Day S. Erratum: Evaluation of applied and residual stresses in case-carburised En36 steel subjected to bending using the magnetic Barkhausen emission technique (vol 52, pg 1927, 2004). Acta Materialia 2004, 52(12), 3747-3751.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Day S. Evaluation of applied and residual stresses in case-carburised En36 steel subjected to bending using the magnetic Barkhausen emission technique. Acta Materialia 2004, 52(7), 1927-1936.
- Page TF, Shaw BA. Scanning electron acoustic microscopy (SEAM): A technique for the detection of contact-induced surface & sub-surface cracks. Journal of Materials Science 2004, 39(22), 6791-6805.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Brimble K. Testing of case depth in case carburized gear steels using magnetic barkhausen emission technique. Materials Evaluation 2004, 62(5), 523-527.
- Abudaia FB, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Characterization of retained austenite in case carburized gears and its influence on fatigue performance. Gear Technology 2003, 20(3), 12-16.
- Moorthy V, Shaw BA, Evans JT. Evaluation of tempering induced changes in the hardness profile of case-carburised EN36 steel using magnetic Barkhausen noise analysis. NDT & E International 2003, 36(1), 43-49.
- Shaw BA, Aylott C, O'Hara P, Brimble K. The role of residual stress on the fatigue strength of high performance gearing. In: International Journal of Fatigue: International Conference on Fatigue Damage of Structural Materials. 2003, Hyannis, Massachusetts, USA: Elsevier Ltd.
- Korsunsky AM, James KE, Aylott C, Shaw BA. Residual stresses in induction-hardened gear teeth mapped by neutron diffraction. Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design 2002, 37(4), 337-344.
- Brimble K, Atkins I, Blencoe K, Aylott C, Shaw BA. A comparison of micro-pitting performance of identical oils using standard FZG test gears and helical test gears. Journal of Naval Engineering 2001, 40(1), 47 - 64.
- Shaw BA, Abudaia FB, Evans JT. Characterization of Retained Austenite in Case Carburized Gears and Its Influence on Fatigue Performance. In: HeatTreating 2000: Proceedings of the 20th Conference. 2001, St Louis, Missouri: Materials Information Society.
- Moorthy V, Hopkins P, Shaw BA. Material Quality Determination using Barkhausen Noise Analysis. Journal of the American Society of Naval Engineers 2001, 39(3), 442-455.
- Shaw BA, Abudaia FB, Evans JT. Characterization of retained austenite in case carburized gears and its influence on fatigue performance. In: 20th Annual Conference on Heat Treating. 2000, St Louis, Missouri, USA: ASM International.
- Korsunsky AM, Wells KE, Shaw BA. Comparative study of diffraction methods for strain measurement in a particulate MMC. Materials Science Forum 2000, 347-349, 504-509.
- Hyde TR, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Effect of Stress and Heat Treatment on Magnetic Barkhausen Emission in Case Carburized Steels. Materials Evaluation 2000, 58(8), 985-990.
- Hale JM, Shaw BA, Speake SD, Gibson AG. High temperature failure envelopes for thermosetting composite pipes in water. Plastics, Rubber and Composites 2000, 29(10), 539-548.
- Shaw BA, Ashby R, Evans JT, O'Hara P. The Use of Controlled Post Heat Treatment Cleaning and Peening to Enhance the Fatigue Strength and Reliability of Case Carburized Gears. In: 20th Annual Conference on Heat Treating. 2000, St Louis, Missouri, USA: ASM International.
- Korsunsky AM, Wells KE, Shaw BA. A comparative study of diffraction methods for strain measurement in a particulate MMC. In: ECRS 5: proceedings of the Fifth European Conference on Residual Stresses. 1999, Delft-Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands: Trans Tech Publications.
- Bull SJ, Evans JT, Shaw BA, Hofmann DA. The effect of the white layer on micro-pitting and surface contact fatigue failure of nitrided gears. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology 1999, 213(4), 305-313.
- Shaw BA, Calik Y, Evans JT. Residual shear stress near ground surfaces. Scripta Materialia, 34, 1101-1106 1996.
- Shaw BA, Hong JS, Gao L, Thompson DP. Silicon carbide-toughened zirconia ceramics. J. Mater Sci., 31, 957-962 1996.
- Calik Y, Evans JT, Shaw BA. Residual shear stress near ground surfaces. SCRIPTA MATERIALIA 1996, 34(7), 1101-1106.
- SHAW BA, EVANS JT, PAGE TF. SCANNING ELECTRON-ACOUSTIC MICROSCOPY IMAGING OF SUBSURFACE MICROCRACKS PRODUCED IN GEAR FATIGUE. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE LETTERS 1994, 13(21), 1551-1554.