Dr Dehong Huo
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 6230
- Address: M26 Stephenson Building
Dr Dehong Huo joined School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering of Newcastle University in 2011 (became part of newly formed School of Engineering from 1st August). He was based in Singapore campus before he came back to Newcastle in 2013. Previously he worked at Bath and Brunel Universities, where he performed research under a number of EPSRC and FP7 projects in developing precision machine tools and innovative manufacturing processes. Currently his work in precision manufacturing is focused on developing micro machining processes and hybrid machining processes for hard and brittle materials.
PhD in Precision Manufacturing (Harbin Institute of Technology)
MEng in Mechanical Engineering (Harbin Institute of Technology)
PgCert in Higher Education (Middlesex University)
- Atomic and multi-scale simulation of cutting processes and microstructure material properties.
- Experimental investigation of micro cutting processes
- Hybrid machining processes
- Ultra-precision micro machine design
- 2015-2018, EPSRC (EP/M020657/1) ‘Development of a 3D Vibration Assisted Machining System‘, Principal investigator
- 2013-2014, EPSRC (EP/J02161X/1) 'Photo-catalytic Microbubble reactor for conversion of CO2 to Fuels' Principal investigator
- 2014, GE Oil & Gas, To identify the failure modes of the composite pipes under radially distributed compressive load
- Mr Xiangyu Teng
- Mr Zi Jie Choong
- Mr Yilun Shi
- Mr Amin Dadgari
- Mr Zeyad Al-Shibaany
- Mr Babis Tzivelekis
- Mr Jun Rao
- Dr Wanqun Chen
MEC1011 Mechanics I
MEC2007 Design and Manufacturing II
MEC2009 Mechanics II
MEC8052 Materials, Manufacturing and Processes
MEC3018 Design for Industry
MEC8095 MSc Project: Mechanical and Systems Engineering
- Chen W, Teng X, Huo D, Wang Q. An improved cutting force model for micro milling considering machining dynamics. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Cai Z, Lin C, Huo D, Zhu C. Design and analysis of cleaning mechanism for an intermittent screw-driven pipeline robot. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2017, 31(2), 911-921. In Press.
- Zhao Y, Li T, Zhang Y, Huo D. Effect of Machining Parameters on the Cutting Force and Microstructure in Nanometric Cutting of Cu50Zr50 Metallic Glass. Current Nanoscience 2017, 13(1), 48-54.
- Gariani S, Shyha I, Inam F, Huo D. Evaluation of a novel controlled cutting fluid impinging supply system when machining titanium alloys. Applied Sciences 2017, 7(6), 560.
- Gariani S, Shyha I, Inam F, Huo D. Experimental analysis of system parameters for minimum cutting fluid consumption when machining Ti-6Al-4V using a novel supply system. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Teng X, Huo D, Wong WLE, Sankaranarayanan S, Gupta M. Machinability Investigation in Micro-milling of Mg Based MMCs with Nano-sized Particles. In: TMS 2017. 2017, San Diego, USA: Springer.
- Huo D, Chen W, Teng X, Lin C, Yang K. Modeling the Influence of Tool Deflection on Cutting Force and Surface Generation in Micro-Milling. Micromachines 2017, 8(6), 1-10.
- Naylor A, Huo D, Hackney PM, Perera N. Operational performance of individual handsaw teeth. In: 23rd International Wood Machining Seminar. 2017, Warsaw, Poland.
- Chen W, Huo D, Teng X, Sun Y. Surface generation modelling for micro end milling considering the minimum chip thickness and tool runout. Procedia CIRP 2017, 58, 364-369.
- Zhang Y, Wang Y, Zhao Y, Wang J, Lu J, Huo D. The deformation yield criterion of metallic glass in the cutting process and its experimental verification. Gaojishu Tongxin/Chinese High Technology Letters 2017, 27(3), 285-293.
- Dadgari A, Huo D, Swailes D. The effect of machining toolpath on surface roughness and dimensional accuracy for high-speed micro milling. Solid State Phenomena 2017, 261, 69-76.
- Zhao Y, Wei X, Zhang Y, Wang J, Huo D. Crystallization of amorphous materials and deformation mechanism of nanocrystalline materials under cutting loads: a molecular dynamics simulation approach. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 2016, 439, 21-29.
- Lim BY, Lau MWS, Wan S, Leong J, Lim A, Huo D, Goh KL. Development of a two-stage Lau-Wan Wankel pump/mixer. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education 2016, 44(2), 97-112.
- Zhao Y, Lu J, Zhang Y, Wu F, Huo D. Development of an analytical model based on Mohr–Coulomb criterion for cutting of metallic glasses. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 2016, 106, 168-175.
- Huo D, Choong Z, Shi Y, Hedley J, Zhao Y. Diamond Micro-milling of Lithium Niobate for Sensing applications. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 2016, 26(9).
- Choong Z, Huo D, Degenaar P, O'Neill A. Effect of crystallographic orientation and employment of different cutting tools on micro-end-milling of monocrystalline silicon. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering. Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 2016, 230(9), 1756-1764.
- Chen W, Huo D, Xie W, Teng X, Zhang J. Integrated simulation method for interaction between manufacturing process and machine tool. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Zhao Y, Wei X, Zhang Y, Wu F, Huo D. Investigation on Cutting Force and Temperature of Cutting Cu50Zr50 Metallic Glass by Molecular Dynamics Simulation. Key Engineering Materials 2016, 667, 88-94.
- Teng X, Huo D, Wong E, Meenashisundaram G, Guptab M. Micro-machinability of nanoparticle-reinforced Mg-based MMCs: An experimental investigation. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2016, 87(5), 2165–2178.
- Choong ZJ, Huo D, Degenaar P, O'Neill A. Micro-Machinability Studies of Single Crystal Silicon Using Diamond End-Mill. In: ASME 2016 11th International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference. 2016, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA: American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Zhao Y, Wei X, Zhang Y, Wang J, Huo D. Potential energy/volume evolution and atomic trajectories analysis of amorphous alloys in nanometric cutting process: A molecular dynamic simulation approach. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience 2016, 13(1), 752-760.
- Chen W, Lu L, Yang K, Huo D, Su H, Zhang Q. A novel machine tool design approach based on surface generation simulation and its implementation on a fly cutting machine tool. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2015.
- Al-Shibaany ZYA, Choong ZJ, Huo D, Hedley J, Hu ZX. CNC Machining of Lithium Niobate for Rapid Prototyping of Sensors. In: 2015 IEEE SENSORS. 2015, Busan, South Korea: IEEE.
- Teng X, Huo D, Wong WLE, Gupta M. Experiment based investigation into micro machinability of Mg based metal matrix composites (MMCs) with nano-sized reinforcements. In: 2015 21st International Conference on Automation and Computing: Automation, Computing and Manufacturing for New Economic Growth, ICAC 2015. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Pancholi K, Jha V, Dodds N, Huo D, Latto J. In situ and real time x-ray computed tomography for the micromechanics based constitutive modelling of the unbonded flexible riser. In: Proceedings of the ASME 2015 International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - OMAE 2015. 2015, St John's, Newfoundland, Canada: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Shi Y, Huo D, Zhao Y, Al-Shibaany ZYA, Hedley J. Investigation of micro milling of lithium niobate for biosensor applications. In: 15th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, EUSPEN 2015. 2015, Leuven, Belgium: euspen.
- Lin C, Ji J, Tao Y, Huo D, Cai L, Cheng K. Structural design and control strategy analysis of micro/nano transmission platform. Transactions of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics 2015, 31(5), 484-491.
- Huo DH, Lin C, Choong Z, Pancholi K, Degenaar P. Surface and subsurface characterisation in micro-milling of monocrystalline silicon. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2015, 81(5-8), 1319-1331.
- Zhao Y, Wei X, Zhang Y, Huo D. A review of the manufacturing technologies and deformation mechanisms of amorphous alloys. Gaojishu Tongxin/Chinese High Technology Letters 2014, 24(11), 1176-1186.
- Chen W, Liang Y, Sun Y, Huo D, Su H, Zhang F. A two-round design method for ultra-precision flycutting machine tools with stringent process requirements. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 2014.
- Huo D, Lin C, Dalgarno K. An experimental investigation on micro machining of fine-grained graphite. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2014, 72(5-8), 943-953.
- Zhao Y, Zhang Y, Huo D, Teng X, Shi Y. An experimental investigation on the surface morphology in micro-end-milling of glass. In: ICAC 2014 - Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Automation and Computing: Future Automation, Computing and Manufacturing. 2014, Cranfield University, Bedford, UK: IEEE.
- Chen W, Liang Y, Sun Y, Huo D, Lu L, Liu H. Design philosophy of an ultra-precision fly cutting machine tool for KDP crystal machining and its implementation on the structure design. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2014, 70(1-4), 429-438.
- Zhang Y, Wang J, Zhao Y, Huo D. Element-based knowledge representation in intelligent design and its prototype for knowledge processing. In: 20th International Conference on Automation and Computing: Future Automation, Computing and Manufacturing (ICAC 2014). 2014, Cranfield University, Bedford, UK: IEEE.
- Al-Shibaany ZYA, Hedley J, Huo DH, Hu ZX. Micromachining Lithium Niobate for Rapid Prototyping of Resonant Biosensors. In: 27th International Conference on CADCAM, Robotics and Factories of the Future 2014 (CARs & FoF). 2014, London: Institute of Physics Publishing Ltd.
- Huo D, Zhao Y, Dalgarno K. Surface integrity characteristics in micro end milling of monocrystalline silicon. In: 14th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology, EUSPEN 2014. 2014, Dubrovnik, Croatia: euspen.
- Cheng K, Huo D, ed. Micro-Cutting: Fundamentals and Applications. Wiley, 2013.
- Huo D, Cheng K, Ding H. Design and Performance Assessment of a 5-Axis Ultra-precision Micro-milling Machine. In: Liu, X., Bai, Z., Shuang, Y., Zhou, C., Shao, J, ed. Advanced Materials and Process Technology. Zurich, Switzerland: Trans Tech Publications Ltd, 2012, pp.1699-1704.
- Qiu H, Yue Y, Kubo A, Lin C, Cheng K, Huo D, Li D. Performance Improvement of the LM Device and Its Application to Precise Measurement of Motion Trajectories within a Small Range with a Machining Centre. Modern Mechanical Engineering 2012, 2, 71-85.
- Huo DH, Cheng K, Wardle F. Design of a five-axis ultra-precision micro-milling machine-UltraMill. Part 1: holistic design approach, design considerations and specifications. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2010, 47(9-12), 867-877.
- Huo DH, Cheng K, Wardle F. Design of a five-axis ultra-precision micro-milling machine-UltraMill. Part 2: integrated dynamic modelling, design optimisation and analysis. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2010, 47(9-12), 879-890.
- Huo D, Cheng K. Experimental investigation on micromilling of oxygen-free, high-conductivity copper using tungsten carbide, chemistry vapour deposition, and single-crystal diamond micro tools. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 2010, 224(6), 995-1003.
- Lin C, Guo Q, Cheng K, Qiu H, Huo D. Modeling of Dynamic Cutting Force in High-Speed Dry Gear based on Multifactor Coupling. In: The 5th International Conference on Responsive Manufacturing - Green Manufacturing. 2010.
- Huo D, Cheng K, Wardle F. A holistic integrated dynamic design and modeling approach applied to the development of ultraprecision micro milling machines. International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture 2009, 50(4), 335-343.
- Lin C, Cheng K, Qiu H, Huo D, Sun X. A methodology for performance measurement and assessment of bench-top precision machine tools. In: 9th International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology, Machine Tool, CMM & Robotic Performance. 2009, Uxbridge, UK.
- Cheng K, Huo D, Wardle F, Nor KM. Design of a 5-Axis Ultraprecision Micro Milling Machine (UltraMill) and its Key Enabling Technologies. In: The 9th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology. 2009.
- Wardle F, Bond C, Wilson C, Cheng K, Huo D. Dynamic characteristics of a direct-drive air-bearing slide system with squeeze film damping. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2009, 47(9-12), 911-918.
- Cheng CH, Huo D, Zhang X, Dai W, Maropoulos PG. Large Volume Metrology Process Model: Measurability Analysis with Integration of Metrology Classification Model and Feature-Based Selection Model. In: 6th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology. 2009, Hong Kong.
- Dai W, Maropoulos P, Tang X, Huo D, Cai B. Quality Planning Based on Risk Assessment. In: 6th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology. 2009, Hong Kong.
- Huo D, Maropoulos PG, Cheng CH. The Framework of the Virtual Laser Tracker – A Systematic Approach to the Assessment of Error sources and Uncertainty in Laser Tracker Measurement. In: 6th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology. 2009, HongKong.
- Huo D, Cheng K. A dynamics-driven approach to the design of precision machine tools for micro-manufacturing and its implementation perspectives. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 2008, 222(1), 1-13.
- Yang Y, Chen S, Huo D, Cheng K. Performance analysis and optimal design of fast tool servo used for machining microstructured surfaces. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2008, 222(C8), 1541-1546.
- Nor KM, Huo D, Cheng K. A PC-Based Control System for Multiple-Axis Micro/Nano Machining: Control Architecture and Implementations. In: 8th International Conference and Exhibition on Laser Metrology Machine Tool, CMM & Robotic Performance (LAMDAMAP 2007). 2007, Cardiff, Wales.
- Huo D, Liang Y, Cheng K. An Investigation of Nanoindentation Tests on the Single Crystal Copper Thin Film via an AFM and MD Simulation. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2007, 221(2), 259-266.
- Huo D, Cheng K. Modeling and control of two-axis direct drive slides with application to nano/micro machining. In: 7th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN). 2007, Bremen, Germany: EUSPEN.
- Huo D, Cheng K. A Dynamics-Driven Approach to Precision Machines Design for Micro-Manufacturing and Its Implementation Perspectives. In: 2nd International Conference on Multi-Material Micro Manufacture (4M2006). 2006, Grenoble, France: Elsevier.
- Huo D, Cheng K. Design of a piezo-driven fast tool servo for diamond cutting: dynamics and application perspectives. In: Proceedings of 6th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN 2006). 2006, Vienna, Austria: EUSPEN.
- Sun X, Chen S, Cheng K, Huo D, Chu W. Multiscale Simulation on Nanometric Cutting of Single Crystal Copper. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 2006, 220(7), 1217-1222.
- Hussin ZM, Cheng K, Huo D. On-Line Modal Identification of a CNC Machining System Based on Surface Roughness Laser Scattering: Theoretical Perspectives. In: 2nd Virtual International Conference on Intelligent Production Machine and System (IPROMS 2006). 2006, Online: Elsevier Science.