Dr Fernando Russo Abegao
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6677
- Address: Office - Merz Court, C.531
School of Engineering
Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
Newcastle Teaching Award (2017)
PhD (2011) University of Cambridge, Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology. Thesis: Magnetic Resonance Studies of Temperature and Chemical Composition in Trickle Bed Reactors
Licenciatura in Chemical Engineering (2006) University of Coimbra, Portugal
Process Development Engineer, Johnson Matthey Plc.
Senior Scientist, Johnson Matthey Plc.
Research Scientist, Johnson Matthey Plc.
Institution of Chemical Engineers -Associated Member (AMIChemE)
Royal Society of Chemistry - Member (MRSC)
Higher Education Academy - Fellow (D2)
Undergraduate Teaching Modules
Chemical Engineering - Stage 1:
CME1025 - Principles of Chemical Engineering
Chemical Engineering - Stage 2:
CME2023 - Transfer Processes 2
Chemical Engineering - Stage 3:
CME3039 - Plant Design
CME3040 - Chemical Engineering Laboratory II
Postgraduate Teaching Modules
Chemical Engineering - Stage 4:
CME8117 - MEng Research Project
MSc in Sustainable Chemical Engineering and MSc in Clean Technology:
CME8011- Basic Chemical Engineering
I am a member of the Process Intensification Group and my research focus on catalysis and reaction engineering. My main interest is in gaining a fundamental understanding of the synthesis processes for catalytic materials and translate that into optimal catalyst activity and more efficient catalyst manufacturing processes. As application and case study areas, I work on:
1) Chemical and thermochemical upgrade of biomass into biorenewable chemicals and fuels;
2) Carbon dioxide conversion into materials and fuels;
3) Intensified synthesis of heterogeneous catalysts;
Previously, I did build up an extensive background in industrial catalysis. I have worked at Johnson Matthey as a Process Development Engineer. During that time I have investigated catalyst manufacturing processes and I helped to develop a new generation of manufacturing methods. I also worked as a Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist, mainly developing and designing Platinum Group Metal catalysts for several chemical, petrochemical and biorenewable applications.
During my PhD at the University of Cambridge, I developed Magnetic Resonance techniques for non-invasive tomography imaging and spectroscopic measurements of chemical composition and temperature in catalytic reactors. These techniques were then employed in operando studies to investigate interactions between hydrodynamics, heat and mass transport, and chemical reactions at industrially relevant hydrodynamic conditions of operation. Hot-stops formation was investigated and, for the first time, liquid-solid mass transfer coefficients were measured by direct quantification of the intra- and inter-particle liquid composition.
I am also a member of the Pedagogical Research in Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials group, with a special interest in assessment, feedback and technology enhanced learning.
Research and Consultancy Topics:
Solids Handling and Processing
Synthesis of heterogeneous catalysts
Conversion of Biomass into Superior Electrode Materials for Energy Storage Applications - Project funded by the International Partnership Fund.
A Novel Approach Combining High-Throughput and Modelling Methods for Accelerated Rational Catalyst Development with Application to Conversion of Biomass Waste into Biorenewable Fuels and Chemicals - Project funded by the Institute for Sustainability.
- Zheng Q, Russo-Abegao FJ, Sederman A, Gladden LF. Operando Determination of the Liquid-Solid Mass Transfer Coefficient During 1-Octene Hydrogenation. Chemical Engineering Science 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Glassey J, Abegão FJR, Schartner A, Thomas U, O'Malley C, Kockmann N, Polakovic M, Schaer E, Madeira L, Meshko V, Porjakoska-Kujundziski A. Chemical Engineering Education - European Perspective Part I - Academic Perceptions of Learning Outcomes and Methods of Delivery. Education for Chemical Engineers 2017. Submitted.
- Glassey J, Abegão FR. E-assessment and tailored feedback - are they contributing to the effectiveness of chemical engineering education?. In: 7th World Engineering Education Forum. 2017, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Zheng Q, Abegao FJR, Sederman A, Gladden LFG. Operando Determination of the Liquid-Solid Mass Transfer During 1-octene Hydrogenation. In: 10th World Congress of Chemical Engineering. 2017, Barcelona, Spain.
- Abegão FJR, Danlami M, Bayati M, Lee J, Gardy J, Hassanpour A, Yang Y. Process Intensification of Biodiesel Production from Microalgae. In: International Bioenergy Conference 2017. 2017, Manchester, UK.
- Eze V, Abegao FJR, Carroll M, Harvey A, Wilson K. Development of Heterogeneous Catalysts for Valorisation of CO2 and Crude Glycerol. In: Process Intensification Network 24. 2016, Newcastle, United Kingdom.
- Eze VC, Abegão FJR, Harvey AP, Carroll M. Heterogeneous Catalytic Processes for Valorisation of Crude Glycerol from Biodiesel Productions. In: 2nd International Conference on Green Chemistry and Sustainable Engineering. 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Abegao FJR, Sederman AJ, Holland DJ, Gladden LF. Chemical Composition Measurements in Trickle Bed Reactors Using 13C-DEPT NMR and Partial Least Squares Regression. In: 10th Bologna Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Porous Media. 2010, Leipzig, Germany.
- Gladden LF, Abegão FJR, Dunckley CP, Holland DJ, Sankey MH, Sederman AJ. MRI: Operando Measurements of temperature, hydrodynamics and local reaction rate in a heterogeneous catalytic reactor. Catalysis Today 2010, 155, 157-163.
- Martins RC, Abegão FJR, Silva AMT, Quinta-Ferreira RM. Integration Strategy for Treatment of Winery Wastewaters Using Flocculation, Ozonation and Fenton's Oxidation. Journal of Advanced Oxidation Technologies 2009, 12(2), 255-264.
- Cardoso-Martins R, Abegão FJR, Silva AMT, Quinta-Ferreira RM. Integrating Flocculation, Ozonation, and Fenton Processes for Winery Wastewater Treatment. In: 1st European Conference on Environmental Applications and Advanced Oxidation Processes. 2006, Chania, Greece.