- Email: email@example.com
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Newcastle University, 2013-Present
- MEng (1st Class) in Chemical Engineering, Newcastle University, 2013
- Associate Member of IChemE
- National SET Award for Best Chemical Engineering Student, Sponsored by AWE (2013)
- MEng Top Student Prize (2013)
- William Benedict Coleman Scholarship Recipient (2010)
- Fluid flow & mixing (simulation and experimentation)
- Oscillatory Baffled Reactors (OBRs)
- Fluidic oscillators
- 3D printing
- Reaction engineering
- Multivariate data analysis (PCA/PLS)
Investigation of the application of fluidic oscillators to different areas of process intensification. Fluidic oscillators use internal fluid feedback to induce periodic oscillations. By operating these devices with multiple outlet channels, periodic flow switching between the channels leading to dual stream pulsations can be achieved. Current experiments are focused on reducing the volumetric flow rate requirements to make these devices more applicable to flow chemistry. In addition, these oscillators are being used to drive passive mixing in various reactor designs to improve the plug flow behaviour, and are being tested in shell-and-tube heat exchangers as a means of passively enhancing the heat transfer rates.
- McDonough JR, Ahmed SMR, Phan AN, Harvey AP. A study of the flow structures generated by oscillating flows in a helical baffled tube. Chemical Engineering Science 2017, 171, 160-178.
- McDonough JR, Law R, Kraemer J, Harvey AP. Effect of geometrical parameters on flow-switching frequencies in 3D printed fluidic oscillators containing different liquids. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 2017, 117, 228-239.
- McDonough JR, Phan AN, Reay DA, Harvey AP. Passive isothermalisation of an exothermic reaction in flow using a novel "Heat Pipe Oscillatory Baffled Reactor (HPOBR)". Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification 2016, 110, 201-213.
- McDonough JR, Phan AN, Harvey AP. Rapid process development using oscillatory baffled mesoreactors - A state-of-the-art review. Chemical Engineering Journal 2015, 265, 110-121.