Dr Mohamed Rouainia
Reader in Computational Geomechanics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3608
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5322
- Address: School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr Rouainia has been a member of academic staff in the the Geotechnical and Structural Engineering (GEST) Group in the School since 2003. His research interests focus on the development and implementation of multi-surface soil plasticity models capable of modelling nonlinear cyclic loading (with applications in renewable energy foundations effects of current and future climate scenarios on infrastructure slopes etc.). Geomechanics and fluid flow processes in unsaturated soils/rocks have been a major focus of recent work (with applications in gas shales, CCS and ground source energy). His teaching focuses on geotechnics, soil modelling and numerical methods for civil engineers and engineering geologists.
Dipl.-Ing in Civil Engineering
MSc Geotechnical Engineering
Ph.D in Computational Geomechanics
Roles and Resposibilities
GEST Postgraduate PGR Selector
School Coordinator of the International Exchange Programmes (Erasmus)
Coordinator for the Geotechnical Engineering Lab
Member of the Geotechnique Advisory Panel (GAP)
Member of NAFEMS Geotechnical Committee.
Member of Northern Geotechnical Group (NGG) Committee.
Chairman of the Association of Computational Mechanics in Engineering - UK, 2008-2009.
Vice-Chairman of the Association of Computational Mechanics in Engineering - UK, 2007-2008.
Small strain modelling of excavations and tunnels
Offshore wind turbine foundations
Software consultancy services
My research interests and expertise currently encompass the following areas: (i) the development of advanced kinematic hardening models for natural soils and routine use of such models in geotechnical problems; (ii) the implementation of robust numerical integration schemes for the integration of advanced soil constitutive relations; (iii) the assessment of climate change effects on embankment slopes; (iv) the long term cyclic performance of offshore foundations and feasibility of novel foundation solutions and (vi) the development of seismic performance based design methods for geotechnical systems.
Jing-Rui Peng - Behaviour of finned piles in sand under lateral loading (completed 2005)
Mahdi Alyami - Seismic behaviour of gravity quay walls built on liquefiable soils (Completed 2008)
Salah Hamuda - The relation between soil compaction and its thermal characterisation (completed 2009)
Owen Davies - Numerical analysis of the effects of climate change on slope stability (completed 2010)
Ulf Boeker - Petrophysical and geological characterisation of shale reservoirs (completed 2011)
Stylianos Panayides - Application of kinematic hardening structure models to geotechnical problems
Abdulbaset Alterimi - Thermal conductivity of pfa for geothermal applications
Gerardo Gonzalez - Modelling carbon capture and storage in voids created by underground coal gasification
Michael Drews - Lithological and petrophysical variability of fine-grained sediments
David Simpson - Advanced laboratory characterisation of soft rock
Paul Sargent - The use for sustainable materials in soil stabilisation
Tom Fender - The geomechanical properties of organic matter in fine grained rocks (2016-2020)
I am always interested in discussing opportunities for postgraduate study in all areas of my research interest but I am also open to discussing other potential projects. Funding can be secured from a variety of sources, including an annual competition for research council funding.
External Examination of PhDs
External examiners for PhDs at Leeds, Bristol, Sheffield, Durham, Cambridge and UMIST, Lille (4), UPC Barcelona, Wuhan (2).
Reviewer for the US Department of Energy of Office of Science
Visiting Research Fellow at the USQ, Australia
Visiting scholar at the University of Newcastle, Australia
- Northern Geotechnical Group Annual seminar: Invited Speaker - A case study of destructuration effects on the performance of a trial embankment, Newcastle, 20 June 2013.
- Symposium on Modelling of granular materials:
problems and solutions? The influence of degradation of structure on the
behaviour of a full scale embankment, University of Dundee, 6th August.
- International Workshop on Geoenvironmental Engineering, Numerical modeling (relevant to EKG applications): State-of-the-art in UK research and practice, Wuhan, China, 16 March 2009.
- Workshop on numerical modelling in geomechanics, Seismic behaviour of gravity quay walls, Newcastle, UK, 24 April 2009.
- Seminario de Geotecnica, Constitutive model for unsaturated soils with structure degradation, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, 5th July 2008.
- Seminar on Geotechnics 2020, Northern Geotechnical Group (NGG), Newcastle, 29th January 2008.
- 5th Annual BGA Conference, Constitutive model for anisotropy and destructuration of natural clays, Westminster, London, 13th June 2007.
- Invited Panel Presentation, Structure and anisotropy of natural soils, 16th Int. Conf. on Soil Mech. and Geotech. Eng., Osaka, Japan, 12th September 2005.
- European Plaxis users meeting, Finite element modelling of small strain soil behaviour, Karlsruhe, Germany, 11th November 2004.
EPSRC Small Equipment Grant - £10k - 2012
GeoPOP - Pore pressure and its prediction in clastic sedimentary rock. Industry funded, £550,000. PI with Andrew Aplin. 2012 – 2016.
GASH (Shale Gas Europe). Industry funded, £400,000. Co-PI with Andrew Aplin. 2009 – 2012.
Shale Gas Canada. Industry funded, £500,000, 2008-2011, Co-PI with Calgary.
BIONICS - EPSRC funded, £125,000. Co-PI with Stephanie Glendenning, 2004-2009.
Soft rock behaviour. Buro Happold, £30,000. PI 2010-2013.
Anisotropy and destructuration of natural clays – EPSRC funded, £125,000. PI 2004-2007.
Principles of soil mechanics for civil engineers.
Module leader for:
CEG1201 Geotechnical Properties of Soils and Rocks
Geomechanics and numerical analysis of geotechnical structures for geotechnical engineers and engineering geologists.
Module leader for:
CEG8205 Soil Modelling and Numerical Methods
MAR8057 - Civil and geotechnical aspects of pipeline engineering
- Goodarzi M, Rouainia M. Modelling Slope Failure Using a Quasi-static MPM with a Non-local Strain Softening Approach. In: 1st International Conference on the Material Point Method, MPM. 2017, Delft, Netherlands: Elsevier.
- Elia G, Cotecchia F, Pedone P, Vaunat J, Vardon PJ, Pereira C, Springman SM, Rouainia M, Esch JV, Koda E, Josifovski J, Nocilla A, Askarinejad A, Stirling R, Helm P, Lollino P, Osinski P. Numerical modelling of slope-vegetation-atmosphere interaction: an overview. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Goodarzi M, Rouainia M, Aplin AC, Cubillas P, de Block M. Predicting the elastic response of organic-rich shale using nanoscale measurements and homogenisation methods. Geophysical Prospecting 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Obradors-Prats J, Rouainia M, Aplin AC, Crook AJL. Assessing the implications of tectonic compaction on pore pressure using a coupled geomechanical approach. Marine and Petroleum Geology 2017, 79, 31-43.
- Rouainia M, Elia G, Panayides S, Scott P. Non-linear finite element prediction of the performance of a deep excavation in Boston Blue Clay. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Charlton TS, Rouainia M, Gens A. Numerical analysis of suction embedded plate anchors in structured clay. Applied Ocean Research 2016, 61, 156-166.
- Obradors-Prats J, Rouainia M, Aplin AC, Crook JL. Stresses, Porosity and Overpressure Modelling in Tectonic Regimes. In: Fifth EAGE Shale Workshop. 2016, Catania, Italy: EAGE.
- Goodarzi M, Rouainia M, Aplin AC. Numerical evaluation of mean-field homogenisation methods for predicting shale elastic response. Computational Geosciences 2016, (ePub ahead of Print), 1-14.
- Elia G, Rouainia M, Panayides S. Finite Element Modelling of a Deep Excavation in Boston Blue Clay. In: VI Italian Conference of Researchers in Geotechnical Engineering (CNRIG2016). 2016, Bologna, Italy: Elsevier Science BV.
- Sargent P, Hughes P, Rouainia M. A new low carbon cementitious binder for stabilising weak ground conditions through deep soil mixing. Soils and Foundations 2016, 56(6), 1021–1034.
- Elia G, Rouainia M. Investigating the cyclic behaviour of clays using a kinematic hardening soil model. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 2016, 88, 399-411.
- Obradors-Prats J, Rouainia M, Aplin AC, Crook AJL. Stress and pore pressure histories in complex tectonic settings predicted with coupled geomechanical-fluid flow models. Marine and Petroleum Geology 2016, 76, 464-477.
- Alrtimi A, Rouainia M, Haigh S. Thermal conductivity of a sandy soil. Applied Thermal Engineering 2016, 106, 551-560.
- Davies O, Rouainia M, Glendinning S, Cash TA, Terente V. Corrigendum to "Investigation of a pore pressure driven slope failure using a coupled hydro-mechanical model" (Vol 178, pg 70, 2014). Engineering Geology 2015, 184, 138-138.
- Barreto D, Rouainia M, Simpson D. Significance of DEM input parameters on the modelling of low strength soft rock mechanical behaviour. In: Geomechanics from Micro to Macro, Vols I and II. 2015, 6000 BROKEN SOUND PARKWAY NW, STE 300, BOCA RATON, FL 33487-2742 USA: CRC PRESS-TAYLOR & FRANCIS GROUP.
- Osman AS, Rouainia M. A semi-analytical solution for consolidation around a spherical cavity in an elasto-plastic medium and its potential application for tunneling. International Journal of Computational Methods 2014, 11(2), 1342010.
- Alrtimi A, Rouainia M, Manning DAC. An improved steady-state apparatus for measuring thermal conductivity of soils. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 2014, 72, 630-636.
- Pereira JM, Rouainia M, Manzanal D. Combined effects of structure and partial saturation in natural soils. Journal of Geo-Engineering Sciences 2014, 2(1-2), 3-16.
- Davies O, Rouainia M, Glendinning S, Cash TA, Terente V. Investigation of a pore pressure driven slope failure using a coupled hydro-mechanical model. Engineering Geology 2014, 178, 70-81.
- Elia G, Rouainia M. Performance evaluation of a shallow foundation built on structured clays under seismic loading. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2014, 12(4), 1537-1561.
- Elia G, Rouainia M. Seismic performance of an earth embankment using simple and advanced numerical approaches. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 2013, 139(7), 1115-1129.
- Sargent P, Hughes PN, Rouainia M, White ML. The use of alkali activated waste binders in enhancing the mechanical properties and durability of soft alluvial soils. Engineering Geology 2013, 152(1), 96-108.
- Alrtimi AA, Rouainia M, Manning DAC. Thermal enhancement of PFA-based grout for geothermal heat exchangers. Applied Thermal Engineering 2013, 54(2), 559-564.
- Gonzalez NA, Rouainia M, Arroyo M, Gens A. Analysis of tunnel excavation in London Clay incorporating soil structure. Géotechnique 2012, 62(12), 1095-1109.
- Panayides S, Rouainia M, Wood DM. Influence of degradation of structure on the behaviour of a full-scale embankment. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 2012, 49(3), 344-356.
- Rouainia M, Elia G. Performance based seismic design of an earth dam in Southern Italy. In: Second International Conference on Performance Based Design in Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. 2012, Taormina, Italy: Patron Editore Bologna.
- Al Qadad A, Shahrour I, Rouainia M. Influence of the soil-atmosphere exchange on the hydric profile induced in soil-structure system. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 2012, 12(6), 2039-2049.
- Kaidi S, Rouainia M, Ouahcine A. Stability of breakwaters under hydrodynamic loading using a coupledDDA/FEM approach. Ocean Engineering 2012, 55, 62-70.
- Osman A, Rouainia M. Dynamic response of an axially loaded rigid sphere embedded in a saturated poroelastic medium. Archive of Applied Mechanics 2011, 82(3), 407-421.
- Peng G, Clarke BG, Rouainia M. Increasing the resistance of piles subject to cyclic lateral loading. Journal of Geotechnical and Geo-environmental Engineering 2011, 137(10), 977.
- González NA, Gens A, Arroyo M, Rouainia M. Modelling the behaviour of structured London Clay. In: Firth International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials. 2011, Seoul, Korea.
- Elia G, Rouainia M. 2D Finite element analysis of the seismic response of an earth embankment. SECED Newsletter 2010, 22(2), 1-5.
- Kaidi S, Ouahsine A, Rouainia M. DDA in ﬂuid-structure problems for the study of gravity dam failure. European Journal of Computational Mechanics 2010, 19(5-7), 533-546.
- Hamuda S, Clarke BG, Rouainia M. Effective thermal conductivity of partially saturated soils. In: Fifth International Conference on Unsaturated Soils (UNSAT). 2010, Barcelona, Spain.
- Peng J-R, Rouainia M, Clarke BG. Finite element analysis of laterally loaded fin piles. Computers and Structures 2010, 88(21-22), 1239-1247.
- Rouainia M, Pereira JM. Modelling the unsaturated behaviour of structured soils. In: Fifth International Conference on Unsaturated Soils (UNSAT). 2010, Barcelona, Spain.
- Elia G, Rouainia M. Numerical analysis of the seismic response of an earth embankment. In: 18th UK Conference on Computational Mechanics (ACME-UK). 2010, Southampton, UK.
- Topping BHV, Rouainia M, Chan AHC. Special Issue Association of Computational Mechanics - United Kingdom. Computers & Structures 2010, 88(23-24), 1285-1285.
- Panyides S, Rouainia M, Osman AS. Ultimate capacity of suction anchors using an advancedconstitutive model. In: Second International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics (ISFOG). 2010, Perth, Australia.
- Alyami M, Rouainia M, Wilkinson SM. Numerical analysis of deformation behaviour of quay walls under earthquake loading. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 2009, 29(3), 525-536.
- Rouainia M, Davies O, O'Brien T, Glendinning S. Numerical modelling of climate effects on slope stability. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering Sustainability 2009, 162(2), 81-89.
- Hiley RA, Rouainia M. Explicit Runge-Kutta methods for the integration of rate-type constitutive equations. Computational Mechanics 2008, 42(1), 53-66.
- Davies OC, Rouainia M, Glendinning S. Numerical predictions of seasonal pore water pressure fluctuations using FLAC tp flow. In: Unsaturated Soils. Advances in Geo-Engineering: proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Unsaturated Soils. 2008, Durham, United Kingdom: London: Taylor & Francis Ltd.
- Davies O, Rouainia M, Glendinning S, Birkinshaw SJ. Predicting seasonal shrink swell cycles within a clay cutting. In: Advances in Transportation Geotechnics: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Transportation Geotechnics. 2008, Nottingham, UK: London: Taylor Francis.
- Alyami M, Wilkinson SM, Rouainia M, Fei CAI. Simulation of seismic behaviour of gravity quay wall using a generalized plasticity model. In: Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering: 4th International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. 2007, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Peng J, Clarke B, Rouainia M. A device to cyclic lateral loaded model piles. Geotechnical Testing Journal 2006, 29(4), 341-347.
- Rouainia M, Muir Wood D. Computational aspects in finite strain plasticity analysis of geotechnical materials. Mechanics Research Communications 2006, 33(2), 123-133.
- Rouainia M, Lewis H, Pearce C, Bicanic N, Couples GD, Reynolds MA. Hydro-geomechanical modelling of seal behaviour in overpressured basins using discontinuous deformation analysis. Engineering Geology 2006, 82(4), 222-233.
- Zhao J, Sheng D, Rouainia M, Sloan SW. Explicit stress integration of complex soil models. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 2005, 29(12), 1209-1229.
- Peng J, Rouainia M, Clarke BG. Lateral resistance of finned piles established from cyclic model tests. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE 2005.
- Hiley RA, Rouainia M. Simple elastoplasticity for natural clays. In: COMPLAS 2005: VIII International Conference on Computational Plasticity. 2005, Barcelona, Spain: International Center for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE).
- Couples GD, Lewis H, Reynolds MA, Pickup GE, Ma J, Rouainia M, Bicanic N, Pearce CJ. Upscaling Fluid-Flow and Geomechanical Properties in Coupled Matrix+Fractures+Fluids Systems. In: SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium Proceedings. 2003, Houston, Texas: Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Rouainia M, Muir Wood D. Implicit numerical integration for a kinematic hardening soil plasticity model. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 2001, 25(13), 1305-1325.
- Rouainia M, Muir Wood D. An implicit constitutive algorithm for finite strain Cam-clay elasto-plastic model. Mechanics of Cohesive-Frictional Materials 2000, 5(6), 469-489.
- Rouainia M, Muir Wood D. A kinematic hardening constitutive model for natural clays with loss of structure. Geotechnique 1999, 50(2), 153-164.
- Barari A, Bagheri M, Rouainia M, Ibsen LB. Deformation mechanisms for offshore monopile foundations accounting for cyclic mobility effects. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 2017, 97, 439-453.
- Karofyllakis D, Elia G, Rouainia M. Seismic ground response at Lotung (Taiwan). In: COMPDYN 2015 - 5th ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 2015, Crete Island, Greece: National Technical University of Athens.
- Barreto D, Rouainia M, Simpson D. Significance of DEM input parameters on the modelling of low strength soft rock mechanical behaviour. In: TC105 ISSMGE International Symposium on Geomechanics from Micro to Macro, IS-Cambridge 2014. 2015, Cambridge, UK: Taylor and Francis - Balkema.
- Elia G, Rouainia M, Karofyllakis D, Guzel Y. Modelling the non-linear site response at the LSST down-hole accelerometer array in Lotung. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 2017, 102, 1-14.
- Obradors-Prats J, Rouainia M, Aplin A, Crook AJL. Hydro-mechanical modelling of stress, pore pressure and porosity evolution in fold-and-thrust belt systems. Journal of Geophysical Research 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Guzel Y, Elia G, Rouainia M. The effect of input motion selection strategies on nonlinear ground response predictions. In: COMPDYN 2017 - 6th International Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 2017, Rhodes Island, Greece: National Technical University of Athens.